HP Forums
About translation... - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Not quite HP Calculators - but related (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: About translation... (/thread-15111.html)

About translation... - J-F Garnier - 06-01-2020 03:24 PM

I was reading my french HP-42S owner manual to get some special information on memory usage with matrices, and I came accross a section (on p.270) about the best way to add a scalar to a matrix to preserve memory, with this sentence:
"... placez le scalaire dans le registre X. Puis, lorsque vous executerez [+], le scalaire (plus économe en mémoire) sera stocké dans le registre X et non dans la matrice".
that I can translate back to English as:
"... put the scalar in the X-register. Then when you execute [+], the scalar (which uses less memory) gets saved in the X-register rather than in the matrix"
I stared at this sentence for a while, then go back to the English edition and read:
"... put the scalar in the X-register. Then when you execute [+], the scalar (which uses less memory) gets saved in the LAST X register rather than the matrix"

traduttore, traditore.

J-F
[My french manual is ed.1, Juin 1988. Is there a newer, corrected french edition?]

RE: About translation... - Massimo Gnerucci - 06-01-2020 06:41 PM

(06-01-2020 03:24 PM)J-F Garnier Wrote:  "... put the scalar in the X-register. Then when you execute [+], the scalar (which uses less memory) gets saved in the LAST X register rather than the matrix"

traduttore, traditore.

LAST lost in translation. ;)

RE: About translation... - Harald - 06-03-2020 09:16 PM

There is a similar mistake in the German 32s manual. For the the m display test it asks to press "every" key 8 times. Which is incorrectly translated from "any" key

RE: About translation... - toml_12953 - 06-04-2020 12:17 AM

(06-03-2020 09:16 PM)Harald Wrote:  There is a similar mistake in the German 32s manual. For the the m display test it asks to press "every" key 8 times. Which is incorrectly translated from "any" key

It would take a while to press EVERY key eight times!