HP Forums
I need an HP-65 & HP-45 circuit boards - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: I need an HP-65 & HP-45 circuit boards (/thread-14699.html)

I need an HP-65 & HP-45 circuit boards - JohnRausch - 03-23-2020 06:25 AM

45 is board definitely dead.

65 freezes on trig functions and providing bad f-key results from bottom row. INT results in no change, though the display make a change like it is working. Tested in other 65s, same results. Contacts cleaned. 18A diagnostic ends with full display of zeros with minus sign.

Any tips for a fix for the 65 I could try. It's an otherwise excellent calculator. Silly me did a complete recondition before testing the board. Early 1333A 0574. I would like to get it working.

I've been quiet since way back in the 65 Notes era (member #88, good friend of Dean Lampman) days when I was doing a lot of 65/67/41 coding, This virus has me reconditioning machines again. The 65 is my favorite. Something very special about it. Perhaps forgoing a new car when it came out!

Sent a 65 and pack card images to Willy Kunz who writes incredible emulators for IOS. I encouraged him to write a 65 and sent him a working 65 because you must have one to include and understand all of its quirks.

Learning more and more about what makes an excellent recondition. The old "repair" articles on this site are long surpassed.

Having fun and have several parts. Ask. Also making what I think are better AAA battery packs. not more functional, but better cosmetically. Not selling them yet, if ever. Very easy to make

But if you have either of those circuit boards or a totally trash 45 or 65 with all else not worth messing with, let me know -- or maybe an answer to that bottom row and 3rd from the bottom giving crap results.

Nice to see familiar names.

RE: I need an HP-65 & HP-45 circuit boardq - TomC - 03-23-2020 01:21 PM

John:

Flashbacks indeed! I do recall the 'Rausch Overlay' I had made and used on my 65 ( I believe I was member 852).

I do not believe I have a 45 or 65 to spare - stay tuned.

Regards,
TomC

(03-23-2020 06:25 AM)JohnRausch Wrote:  45 is board definitely dead.

65 freezes on trig functions and providing dad f results from bottom row. IMT results in no change,though display make a change like it is working. Tested in other 65s, same results. Contacts cleaned. 18A diagnostic ends with full display of zero with minus sign.

Tips of any for fix for the 65 I could try. It's an otherwise excellent calculator. Silly me did a complete recondition before testing the board. Early 1333A 0574. I would like to get it working.

I've been quiet since way back in the 65 Notes era (member #88, good friend of Dean Lampman) days when I was doing a lot of coding, This virus has me reconditioning machines again. The 65 is my favorite. Something very special about it. Perhaps forgoing a new car when it came out!

Sent a 65 and pack card images to Willy Kunz who writes incredible emulators for IOS. I encouraged him to write a 65 and sent him a working 65 because you must have one to include and understand all of its quirks.

Learning more and more about what makes an excellent recondition. The old "repair" articles on this site are long surpassed.

Having fun and have several parts. Ask. Also making what I think are better AAA battery packs. not more functional, but better cosmetically. Not selling them yet, if ever. Very easy to make

But if you have either of those circuit boards or a totally trash 45 or 65 with all else not worth messing with, let me know -- or maybe an answer to that bottom row and 3rd from the bottom giving crap results.

RE: I need an HP-65 & HP-45 circuit boards - teenix - 03-23-2020 10:24 PM

Off hand it seems like some part of the ROM has failed. This seems more probable due the incorrect result from the diagnostics program which should have finished with all LED segments lit up (all 8's and the 2 neg signs).

If so, then a repair seems unlikely without some spares to try out. A shame that you now cannot know if it worked before starting the recondition.

I would have a close look at the soldering and circuit traces around the ROM chips. If you have a voltmeter, check the supply rails. If one is low (or high) then it may interfere with correct operation.

As a last resort, Harald probably still has Classic replacement CPU boards available for the 45 and I have 65 replacement CPU boards available.

cheers

Tony

65 freezes on trig functions and providing bad f-key results from bottom row. INT results in no change, though the display make a change like it is working. Tested in other 65s, same results. Contacts cleaned. 18A diagnostic ends with full display of zeros with minus sign.

Any tips for a fix for the 65 I could try. It's an otherwise excellent calculator. Silly me did a complete recondition before testing the board. Early 1333A 0574. I would like to get it working.

I've been quiet since way back in the 65 Notes era (member #88, good friend of Dean Lampman) days when I was doing a lot of 65/67/41 coding, This virus has me reconditioning machines again. The 65 is my favorite. Something very special about it. Perhaps forgoing a new car when it came out!

RE: I need an HP-65 & HP-45 circuit boards - [kby] - 03-29-2020 11:38 PM

PM sent.-kby

RE: I need an HP-65 & HP-45 circuit boards - JohnRausch - 03-30-2020 02:46 AM

The 65 works perfectly when I put a board it it from working display, and the bad board produces the same errors on an otherwise 65 working perfectly. Contacts (all of the holes) gently cleaned with a round toothpick with no dirt at all.

My conclusion, bad board in an otherwise very nice 65.

I would love to have a working 65 board. I have a spare working 67 board, chargers, and possibly other thing if you are interested in a trade. Buying one is fine too. Let me know what you want for one in a message if you want, or I can give you my phone and we can chat about it.

Thanks.

(03-23-2020 10:24 PM)teenix Wrote:  Off hand it seems like some part of the ROM has failed. This seems more probable due the incorrect result from the diagnostics program which should have finished with all LED segments lit up (all 8's and the 2 neg signs).

If so, then a repair seems unlikely without some spares to try out. A shame that you now cannot know if it worked before starting the recondition.

I would have a close look at the soldering and circuit traces around the ROM chips. If you have a voltmeter, check the supply rails. If one is low (or high) then it may interfere with correct operation.

As a last resort, Harald probably still has Classic replacement CPU boards available for the 45 and I have 65 replacement CPU boards available.

cheers

Tony

RE: I need an HP-65 & HP-45 circuit boards - Harald - 03-30-2020 06:51 AM

May I suggest http://www.teenix.org?

Cheers,
Harald

RE: I need an HP-65 & HP-45 circuit boards - JohnRausch - 03-30-2020 03:23 PM

If this guy is still making boards I will be kept bust for a while!

(03-30-2020 06:51 AM)Harald Wrote:  May I suggest http://www.teenix.org?

Cheers,
Harald

RE: I need an HP-65 & HP-45 circuit boards - [kby] - 03-30-2020 07:01 PM

PM sent.-kby

RE: I need an HP-65 & HP-45 circuit boards - Harald - 03-30-2020 09:36 PM

(03-30-2020 03:23 PM)JohnRausch Wrote:  If this guy is still making boards I will be kept bust for a while!

(03-30-2020 06:51 AM)Harald Wrote:  May I suggest http://www.teenix.org?

Cheers,
Harald

I am pretty sure Tony still has all his boards, 65, 67 and 55 available. I still have a few for the 35, 45, 70 and 80 (they are all the same) available. I am currently quarantined and have the boards at work (if it is urgent I could steal one from one of my calculators though).

Cheers,
Harald

RE: I need an HP-65 & HP-45 circuit boards - JohnRausch - 03-31-2020 03:14 PM

Thanks everyone. I have found one from a member.

RE: I need an HP-65 & HP-45 circuit boards - [kby] - 03-31-2020 11:32 PM

It is unlikely to change the fix (new board) but for -65 it might be instructive to single-step execute through the diagnostic and see where it's failing. Or, if it's possible, switch to W/PRGM and see where in the diagnostic program it is.