HP Forums
HP 45 Keys - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: HP 45 Keys (/thread-14573.html)

HP 45 Keys - aaron218 - 02-25-2020 09:49 PM

I fixed up an HP 45 calculator and everything went ok, and it all works as it should but now the keys kind of rattle if you pick it up and shake it. They feel fine to use but it's a very slight rattling noise, only if you shake it.

My question is, do they all have rattly keys like this? I can't remember what they were like before. I'm almost certain I assembled it correctly, there's nothing obviously misaligned or extra parts.

RE: HP 45 Keys - toml_12953 - 02-25-2020 11:44 PM

(02-25-2020 09:49 PM)aaron218 Wrote:  I fixed up an HP 45 calculator and everything went ok, and it all works as it should but now the keys kind of rattle if you pick it up and shake it. They feel fine to use but it's a very slight rattling noise, only if you shake it.

My question is, do they all have rattly keys like this? I can't remember what they were like before. I'm almost certain I assembled it correctly, there's nothing obviously misaligned or extra parts.

The one I owned used to rattle a little bit when the calculator was shaken but the keys all registered properly and felt fine when in use.

RE: HP 45 Keys - Dave Britten - 02-26-2020 01:16 AM

This is typical of the Classics. My 45, 80, and 65 all do it to some degree. The keys are not permanently attached to the front shell, and they have a tiny bit of play.

RE: HP 45 Keys - aaron218 - 02-26-2020 02:10 AM

Thanks fellas, that's kind of what I thought was going on, but I couldn't remember. They feel perfect but I wasn't sure of the rattle. Looks like I got a gem here!

RE: HP 45 Keys - Steve Simpkin - 02-26-2020 05:37 AM

My HP-25 rattles like a set of maracasSmile Always has. All of the keys are quite loose and move about a millimeter side-to-side[/quote]. I never had a Classic or Spice series calculator to compare it to. The 41, Voyager and later series typically didn't rattle at all. I know the Pioneers and later models had the keys attached to the top cover so they couldn't rattle.