HP Forums
Cloning calculators questions - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Cloning calculators questions (/thread-14511.html)

Cloning calculators questions - DrDarius - 02-15-2020 11:18 PM

I would like to ask a couple of questions pertaining to calculator cloning.

Background (which everybody knows, but for the sake of clarity...):
A) If two Primes are connected directly with with a cable, the contents of one of them can be easily transferred to another one using Clone function (this includes calculator settings).
Alternatively, both calculators can be connected to Connectivity Kit, and then contents of one of the calculators can be transferred to another one by dragging and dropping items in the Calculator pane. (Note: the items have to be dragged one by one. Groups cannot be selected and dragged.)
B) The Prime application for IOS communicated with the Connectivity Kit over the network. It instantiates in the Calculator as another calculator.

Questions:
1. Is there any simple way to clone the "real" calculator to the IOS app (and vice versa)?
2. Is there any way to copy groups of items from one calculator to another (real or virtual. regardless) under Connectivity Kit?

Additional comment: under Connectivity Kit one can select entire calculator (i.e., the calculator name line), and then attempt to drag it to another calculator. When one attempts to transfer the contents of the "real" calculator to the IOS app, the '+' sign symbolizing copying appears next to the cursor on the screen suggesting that it can be done, but no contents gets copied. (At least this is how it works--or doesn't work--on my machine...)

Darius

RE: Cloning calculators questions - rprosperi - 02-15-2020 11:51 PM

How about Backup Prime-1 using the ConnKit, then Restore to Prime-2?

Should work for any Prime, real or virtual, as long as it can connect to the CK.

RE: Cloning calculators questions - DrDarius - 02-16-2020 12:12 AM

(02-15-2020 11:51 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  How about Backup Prime-1 using the ConnKit, then Restore to Prime-2?

Should work for any Prime, real or virtual, as long as it can connect to the CK.

Yes, it works (albeit to certain extent...).
On my iPad, if I try to restore when the app is in full screen mode, the app crashes halfway.
I have to minimize the app, start restore from CK, open the app on the iPad, and only then it finishes successfully.

Thanks for the advice, Bob! Sometimes the most obvious solutions are the hardest to find.

Darius

RE: Cloning calculators questions - DrDarius - 02-17-2020 03:52 AM

Update:

The joy was short-lived. Soon after cloning (thus populating it with contents running perfectly well on real hardware and the simulator) the iPad app stopped being responsive. The only way to close the app was to kill it. After subsequent reopening it kept misbehaving--programs and apps did not want to start, the Wireless Network Properties page kept disappearing, occasionally entire app was shutting down for no apparent reason.
I had to reinstall the app to make it usable. The question is for how long this usability period will last.

I am frustrated, as you can probably tell from the tone of this post.

I think I'm gonna stick to real hardware, maybe the simulator running under Windows. Apparently Apple and HP don't go together well.

Wasted $25...

Darius

RE: Cloning calculators questions - cyrille de brébisson - 02-17-2020 06:24 AM

Hello,

Could you send me the backup that you sent to the IOS calculator so that I can try to see what is going wrong?

My best guess is that it had to deal with the 64bit nature of the IOS app (while the windows and real HW are 32 bit)...

Prime was never designed as a 64 bit program, so when Apple forced us to move to 64 bit for IOS, we had to port the thing, but it is not an easy task and might still have some issues.

Cyrille

RE: Cloning calculators questions - DrDarius - 02-17-2020 11:15 PM

(02-17-2020 06:24 AM)cyrille de brĂ©bisson Wrote:  Could you send me the backup that you sent to the IOS calculator so that I can try to see what is going wrong?

My best guess is that it had to deal with the 64bit nature of the IOS app (while the windows and real HW are 32 bit)...

Prime was never designed as a 64 bit program, so when Apple forced us to move to 64 bit for IOS, we had to port the thing, but it is not an easy task and might still have some issues.
Cyrille
Yes, this sounds like a probable cause of the misbehavior.
I will send you a PM about the backup.

Darius