HP Forums
[Update - G1, Android] Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Linux/Firmware/Android/iOS - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: [Update - G1, Android] Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Linux/Firmware/Android/iOS (/thread-13855.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

[Update - G1, Android] Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Linux/Firmware/Android/iOS - Tim Wessman - 10-24-2019 06:04 AM

Hello,

[UPDATE]
If you downloaded and installed the prior G1 version, please immediately delete it and install the newly updated one from same hpcalc.org site link. A wrong file was given to Eric by mistake (I dunne goofed) that was not tested and is from an old incorrect build location. You will lose data, and be incompatible with any future versions. The RPN problem, crashes, and others is caused by that. Apologies! Sad
[/UPDATE]

The HP Calculator group is excited to release a public beta for the next version of the HP Prime software. If you are willing and able to test, we invite you to download and provide feedback on the new features and changes.

Should you also prove to be a very enthusiastic individual with quality issue reporting skills, you may also receive an invite to participate in the more closed alpha level testing that happen earlier in the development process.

While you can post in forums such as this at your discretion, we ask that the primary way of reporting be to send reports to calcbeta@hp.com. Basically, the goal is avoid disruption or annoyance to other forum participants. You can pop up a pre-populated email template by clicking the "Report Issue" menu item in the programs themselves.

This release has almost no new features or changes. I really, really mean that this time - (in fact only 2-3 bugs corrected I am certain about) We did however change and update to much newer build tools, processes and compiler versions. Generally, this has no impact but can sometimes cause very difficult to track down problems. Hence the desire to ensure everything is "working well" before more significant changes happen. Note that on some versions the build date/revision number may vary slightly due to timing of that specific build as I worked to resolve issues with the build automation processes. There is essentially no difference between them however.

1. Updated CAS to latest 1.5 release.
  2. Corrected BREAK issue found on G2 hardware units only.
  3. Fixed issue with prompts for upgrade happening frequently on 64 bit windows versions.

Special thank you to Eric Rechlin at hpcalc.org for hosting the files for us.

Quote:Windows/Mac/Linux/Calculator
http://www.hpcalc.org/prime/beta/

iOS
HP Prime Lite: https://testflight.apple.com/join/wEWzNu3f
HP Prime Pro: https://testflight.apple.com/join/N3c1tyqC

Android
HP Prime Lite: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.hp.primecalculator.free
HP Prime Pro: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.hp.primecalculator

Have fun!

Quote:HP Prime ā€“ Release Notes
-------------------------

Date Released: 2019/10/22

Internal Versions
-----------------
Firmware Version: ~2.1.14290 (2019 10 23) BETA
Virtual Calculator Version: ~2.1.14290 (2019 10 23) BETA
Connectivity Kit: ~2.1.14290 (2019 10 23) BETA

Description
-----------
This BETA release of the Prime Calculator firmware and associated PC and Mobile software is a minor maintenance release. Only users willing to experiment with pre-release software and report issues to calcbeta@hp.com are invited to experiment with this release.

Please back up your calculator before the update. Any existing data on the device may be wiped during the update process.

Primary focus of this BETA release is upgrading the underlying build tools for all platforms (calculator hardware, windows, iOS, android, macOS). As such, there are few end user noticeable changes included. The goal here is to ensure that everything is "working just as before" to make sure that no problems have been introduced as a result of said tool change.

Windows Connectivity Kit and Virtual Calculator:
1. Fixed issue with prompts for upgrade being misidentified on 64 bit versions.

Mac Connectivity Kit and Virtual Calculator:
1. None

Linux Technical Preview Virtual Calculator:
1. Delivered in x86 and x64 versions
2. Built using Ubuntu 14.04 and packaged as an appimage with latest appimage/linuxdeployqt versions
3. Primarily, this is to test if application is able to be run on a wide range of systems and distros
4. There is a technical preview and does not indicate a supported Linux release will be forthcoming - however the 60 day limit on other platforms will not be checked.

New Functionality and Changes (Calculator Software)
1. Updated CAS to latest 1.5 release.
2. Corrected BREAK issue found on G2 hardware units only.

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Linux/Firmware/Android/iOS - parisse - 10-24-2019 12:30 PM

(10-24-2019 06:04 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  This release has almost no new features or changes. I really, really mean that this time - (in fact only 2-3 bugs corrected I am certain about)

Well, this is not true for the CAS, many bugs have been fixed since version 1.4.9 and there are some small but useful improvements, for example fourier_an/bn/cn now accept default arguments and does auto-assumptions, for example fourier_an(x^2,n)

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Linux/Firmware/Android/iOS - FabVir - 10-24-2019 08:37 PM

Sorry, as I am new, I think I succeeded to install the beta calculator version after a few trials but don't know if the process I followed is ok.
I have a Prime G2 and a Mac with HP Connectivity Kit.
I installed the new beta version of the connectivity kit, then downloaded the zip of the calculator version, both G1 and G2, found the folders ...>Documents>HP Connectivity Kit>Firmware>PrimeG1 and PrimeG2, replaced all the files with the beta versions files in both folders, connected the calculator and updated; new beta version appears in the calculator and it is working.
Do I need to keep also the PrimeG1 folder or can I delete it from ...>Documents>HP Connectivity Kit>Firmware ?
Thanks

Update: solved deleting Hp Connectivity Kit beta and all related folders from Mac and reinstalled it.
Learned that both PrimeG1 and PrimeG2 are needed, and you must copy the contents of the Calculator zip beta folders inside them deleting the old contents.
Learned also that when you start the Connectivity Kit a MyCalc folder appears inside the Calculators folders and is updated every time you open the Connectivity Kit.

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Linux/Firmware/Android/iOS - cdmackay - 10-24-2019 11:41 PM

thanks very much indeed, Tim.

Minor nit:

(10-24-2019 06:04 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  HP Prime ā€“ Release Notes
-------------------------

Date Released: 2019/10/22

Internal Versions
-----------------
Firmware Version: ~2.1.14290 (2019 10 23) BETA
Virtual Calculator Version: ~2.1.14290 (2019 10 23) BETA
Connectivity Kit: ~2.1.14290 (2019 10 23) BETA

Whilst the virtual calc reports 2.1.14290, my hardware G2/D reports: 2.1.14284 (2019 10 22) BETA, using the HP_Prime_Calculator_G2_Firmware_20191022.zip downloaded from hpcalc.org.

The release_info.txt file within that zip reports 2.1.14290, however. It just doesn't show that way on the hardware calculator itself.

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Linux/Firmware/Android/iOS - toml_12953 - 10-25-2019 02:17 AM

Is there a way to change the font used in the editor window? I couldn't find one. Also, some of us still would like to be able to print our programs without having to copy and paste into a different editor.

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Linux/Firmware/Android/iOS - Tim Wessman - 10-25-2019 06:42 AM

(10-24-2019 11:41 PM)cdmackay Wrote:  thanks very much indeed, Tim.

Minor nit:

(10-24-2019 06:04 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Firmware Version: ~2.1.14290 (2019 10 23) BETA
The release_info.txt file within that zip reports 2.1.14290, however. It just doesn't show that way on the hardware calculator itself.

Hello,

"Note that on some versions the build date/revision number may vary slightly due to timing of that specific build as I worked to resolve issues with the build automation processes. There is essentially no difference between them however."

Smile

Yeah, sorry.

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Linux/Firmware/Android/iOS - cdmackay - 10-25-2019 04:50 PM

(10-25-2019 06:42 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Hello,

really sorry, dunno how I missed that!

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Linux/Firmware/Android/iOS - pinkman - 10-25-2019 09:52 PM

I have a Prime G1 in hardware C (I bought it from Tim).
Found a bug with software beta (2019 10 22) : RPN does not operate.

123 [Enter]
456 [Enter]
+
Error: Syntax Error

Same with other function keys, etc.

(turn sound off, or you'll hear my daughter saying "papa?" at the end ! Smile )
(oh yes, I hit my nail with a hammer!)

@Tim, I posted it to calcbeta

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Linux/Firmware/Android/iOS - cdmackay - 10-25-2019 10:42 PM

Is OK on my G2. Which is odd, since I thought the calculator software was the same, just running on a different platform?

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Linux/Firmware/Android/iOS - Jacob Wall - 10-25-2019 11:29 PM

Same issue with HW A and RPN mode here, but OK on G2.

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Linux/Firmware/Android/iOS - Dougggg - 10-26-2019 01:48 AM

I have a G1 and if I connect to connectivity kit after doing the beta when it is syncing the the calc about a third the way through it resets the calculator. what should I do?

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Linux/Firmware/Android/iOS - Tim Wessman - 10-26-2019 02:24 AM

That RPN this is bizarre....

As to the reset on copy, it almost seems like there is a bad application or data in the calc somewhere. Can you make a backup on calc and then wipe data?

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Linux/Firmware/Android/iOS - pinkman - 10-26-2019 04:35 AM

(10-26-2019 01:48 AM)Dougggg Wrote:  I have a G1 and if I connect to connectivity kit after doing the beta when it is syncing the the calc about a third the way through it resets the calculator. what should I do?

I had the same issue, and it finally disappeared, after having completely removed my vars, custom apps, programs.
I suspect the vars, but Iā€™m not sure.

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Linux/Firmware/Android/iOS - pinkman - 10-26-2019 04:57 AM

(10-26-2019 02:24 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  That RPN this is bizarre....

As to the reset on copy, it almost seems like there is a bad application or data in the calc somewhere. Can you make a backup on calc and then wipe data?

I cleared all data: vars (system and personal), functions, progs, apps. Did I forget something? Is there a way to completely clear or format the user memory?

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Linux/Firmware/Android/iOS - Wes Loewer - 10-26-2019 05:35 AM

(10-26-2019 04:57 AM)pinkman Wrote:  I cleared all data: vars (system and personal), functions, progs, apps. Did I forget something? Is there a way to completely clear or format the user memory?

For a G1 calculator, turn the calculator off, press and hold the keys F, C, and O, then turn the calculator on. When you the diagnostic screen come up, you can release F-C-O. From there, choose 4. FLS Utility, then 3. Format Disk C and press Enter. After the format is finished, press Esc, then select 9. Reset. That wipes everything.

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Linux/Firmware/Android/iOS - pinkman - 10-26-2019 08:06 AM

Thanks Wes.

Ok format is done, still syntax error on RPN operations.

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Linux/Firmware/Android/iOS - DrD - 10-26-2019 10:01 AM

Hardware G1/A Firmware 2019 10 16:
Changed Entry mode from Textbook to RPN
123 [Enter]
456 [Enter]
[+] <== Calculator rebooted, and had returned to Textbook mode on recovery.
Changed Entry mode from Textbook to RPN
123 [Enter]
456 [Enter]
[+] <== 579 (Worked ok during further testing)

Hardware G1/C Firmware 2019 10 16:
Same experience as G1/A, above.

Hardware G2 Firmware 2019 10 16:
No problem with RPN entry with this test.

My testing was done with a fresh firmware installation, on each machine. Only the G1 models had this issue. Although it was necessary to change the entry mode from Textbook to RPN again, the problem cleared after the crash recovery.

-Dale-

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Linux/Firmware/Android/iOS - pinkman - 10-26-2019 12:30 PM

I did not have the same behavior: no crash, no RPN even after lots of reset and textbook / algebraic / RPN switching.

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Linux/Firmware/Android/iOS - Dougggg - 10-26-2019 12:51 PM

(10-26-2019 02:24 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  That RPN this is bizarre....

Clearing the memory it does connect without reset,. Must be an app or prog or some other object the new firmware doesn't like.

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Linux/Firmware/Android/iOS - mbeddo - 10-26-2019 04:17 PM

No one's mentioned this about installing the beta on Windows 10 PCs. A "Windows protected your PC" box pops up and says

Code:

Windows Defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk.

App: HP_Prime_Connectivity_Kit_x64_20191022.exe
Publisher: HP Inc.