HP Forums
Simplification problem: constants not multiplied through expression - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Simplification problem: constants not multiplied through expression (/thread-13836.html)

Simplification problem: constants not multiplied through expression - hpprimestudent - 10-21-2019 09:17 PM

Hi everyone,

First post here. I'm having an issue with the Prime yielding unsimplified expressions in CAS mode, even after using the simplify function. For example, when I'm finding the inverse laplace, this is what the expression looks like. (To see the photo, you may have to right click and open in new tab). As you can see, the constants in the exponents are not being multiplied into a single constant, as well as the constants outside the bracketed expression. That means I have to manually copy and paste and multiply through for each term in the expression/exponent.

[Image: y17cKLi]

I've tried changing simplification levels (maximum, minimum, none) in settings, updating to the latest firmware,resetting memory, all to no avail. Nor do these functions change the format of the expression: expand(), simplify(), normal() powexpand().

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

RE: Simplification problem: constants not multiplied through expression - Aries - 10-22-2019 11:47 AM

I can't see anything Wink

RE: Simplification problem: constants not multiplied through expression - DrD - 10-22-2019 05:06 PM

From OP:

[attachment=7740]

RE: Simplification problem: constants not multiplied through expression - hpprimestudent - 10-22-2019 06:32 PM

(10-22-2019 11:47 AM)Aries Wrote:  I can't see anything Wink

Hey sorry you couldn't see it. Hopefully you can see it through this new link
https://ibb.co/tJDRFv9
https://ibb.co/5FF9wP9

RE: Simplification problem: constants not multiplied through expression - Joe Horn - 10-22-2019 10:42 PM

Hard to tell when looking at partial snippets like this. Please let us know what the entire input was, and whether you were in Home or CAS view, so that we can reconstruct your entire result, which will help us figure out what is happening and how to get what you want.

RE: Simplification problem: constants not multiplied through expression - Tim Wessman - 10-23-2019 04:07 AM

Judging by the incomplete information given, the OP is attempting to use approximated numbers.

If you use exact values, I suspect your problem will magically disappear.

RE: Simplification problem: constants not multiplied through expression - hpprimestudent - 10-23-2019 04:16 PM

Thanks for the replies.
Unfortunately I don't have the input anymore, but it's just a laplace inverse of a transfer function. Exact mode is turned on but the format of the answer doesn't change even if it's turned off. (In CAS Mode). Even if I take the partial fraction of the transfer function before taking its inverse laplace, the answer is the same.

RE: Simplification problem: constants not multiplied through expression - Aries - 10-24-2019 07:06 AM

Can you remember what was the transfer function ?
Best,

Aries Wink