HP Forums
Original Box for Classics - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Original Box for Classics (/thread-13135.html)

Original Box for Classics - Harald - 06-16-2019 08:17 PM

I remember a thread where someone asked about what kind of box the classics came in. I can't remember if pictures were posted or not and I can't find the thread anymore. But at least for the HP 35 I can show pictures soon. Here is what I found:
HP35 in original box

Cheers Harald

RE: Original Box for Classics - teenix - 06-16-2019 10:11 PM

(06-16-2019 08:17 PM)Harald Wrote:  I remember a thread where someone asked about what kind of box the classics came in. I can't remember if pictures were posted or not and I can't find the thread anymore. But at least for the HP 35 I can show pictures soon. Here is what I found:
HP35 in original box

Cheers Harald

Although I cannot remember 100% that would seem the most probable type of box my new HP-45 came in back in '75 as I briefly mentioned on teenix.org

I purchased it at a university bookshop in Melbourne and was going to wait until I got home to open it, but couldn't resist on the old "red rattler" train ride back. I remember it was white with a flip top.

cheers

Tony

RE: Original Box for Classics - [kby] - 06-16-2019 10:57 PM

I think some of the boxes changed over time. I’m pretty sure my 65 came in a plain box (but I would not say that was certain). It was also probably from the college bookstore. But I do see “retail” -65 boxes on TAS as well that I’m pretty sure are genuine.

I’m guessing my dad’s -35 box was likely like the one pictured. I don’t think they have the hardcase by the time you get to Type 4 -35s and the soft case had changed to the tan “camera case” by then so the packaging probably upgraded to something more glitzy by then as well.-kby
[editted to fix the most egregious keyboard glitches]

RE: Original Box for Classics - Artur - Brasil - 06-21-2019 02:26 AM

Well, I like to see my calculators in good order... so, when they do not come with their case, I reprint one new to them...

RE: Original Box for Classics - HP-Collection - 06-21-2019 11:34 AM

Very nice!

RE: Original Box for Classics - rprosperi - 06-21-2019 12:43 PM

(06-21-2019 11:34 AM)HP-Collection Wrote:  Very nice!

1 + !

RE: Original Box for Classics - TomC - 06-21-2019 03:49 PM

(06-16-2019 08:17 PM)Harald Wrote:  I remember a thread where someone asked about what kind of box the classics came in. I can't remember if pictures were posted or not and I can't find the thread anymore. But at least for the HP 35 I can show pictures soon. Here is what I found:
HP35 in original box

Cheers Harald

The history of the original classic boxes is not well documented. My HP45, purchased in 73 was in the smaller black 'leather/metal' case, then my HP65, purchased in late 74 was in the larger plastic case. So, there are three cases, small plastic, large plastic and small 'leather/metal'.

TomC
ps: I suspect that the HP45 may have been in this more deluxe type case to spotlight its superiority to the 35; then when the 65 arrived, the larger box was needed for the extra docs and larger belt case and magcards (altho the smaller box did have a spot for the magcard case).

RE: Original Box for Classics - DaveBr - 06-21-2019 07:30 PM

I have a HP-65 in the original box.
The calculator in the leather case fits in a cutout as does the user manual and charger. Included was the quick reference guide, standard pack of magnetic cards in a plastic case, the standard pack manual, a stack of program forms, several pocket instruction cards, accessory information - and the original sales receipt.

Dave

RE: Original Box for Classics - toml_12953 - 06-21-2019 07:44 PM

(06-21-2019 03:49 PM)TomC Wrote:  The history of the original classic boxes is not well documented. My HP45, purchased in 73 was in the smaller black 'leather/metal' case, then my HP65, purchased in late 74 was in the larger plastic case. So, there are three cases, small plastic, large plastic and small 'leather/metal'.

That black case was what they advertised in early 35/45 ads. To me it looked just like the case my Norelco razor came in!

RE: Original Box for Classics - [kby] - 06-21-2019 08:14 PM

(06-21-2019 07:30 PM)DaveBr Wrote:  I have a HP-65 in the original box.
The calculator in the leather case fits in a cutout as does the user manual and charger. Included was the quick reference guide, standard pack of magnetic cards in a plastic case, the standard pack manual, a stack of program forms, several pocket instruction cards, accessory information - and the original sales receipt.

Dave

What year (serial #) is your calculator? Did it also inclde the green molded plastic travel case?

RE: Original Box for Classics - DaveBr - 06-21-2019 08:40 PM

(06-21-2019 08:14 PM)[kby] Wrote:  
(06-21-2019 07:30 PM)DaveBr Wrote:  I have a HP-65 in the original box.

Dave

What year (serial #) is your calculator? Did it also inclde the green molded plastic travel case?

The serial# is 1503A21073 (1975)

It didn’t come with the green plastic case, but I have since acquired one from an esteemed forum member.
Dave

RE: Original Box for Classics - [kby] - 06-26-2019 08:08 PM

(06-21-2019 08:40 PM)DaveBr Wrote:  
(06-21-2019 08:14 PM)[kby] Wrote:  What year (serial #) is your calculator? Did it also inclde the green molded plastic travel case?

The serial# is 1503A21073 (1975)

It didn’t come with the green plastic case, but I have since acquired one from an esteemed forum member.
Dave

So my original HP-65 was 1507A05763 (bought new; I think at the college bookstore), and it was replaced on 19–Sep–1975 under warranty for something with 1511A01393.

It came with the the green molded travel case.

It appears, then, that the green travel case could not fit in the retail box? So it looks like you are likely to have (assuming you have an original collection) either the retail box or the green travel case? I'm pretty sure mine came in a generic brown or white corrugated cardboard box just big enough to hold the travel case, and it was "behind the counter"—they had the demo displays in the store.

RE: Original Box for Classics - DaveBr - 06-27-2019 09:18 PM

(06-26-2019 08:08 PM)[kby] Wrote:  
(06-21-2019 08:40 PM)DaveBr Wrote:  The serial# is 1503A21073 (1975)

Dave

So my original HP-65 was 1507A05763 (bought new; I think at the college bookstore), and it was replaced on 19–Sep–1975 under warranty for something with 1511A01393.

It came with the the green molded travel case.

It appears, then, that the green travel case could not fit in the retail box? So it looks like you are likely to have (assuming you have an original collection) either the retail box or the green travel case? I'm pretty sure mine came in a generic brown or white corrugated cardboard box just big enough to hold the travel case, and it was "behind the counter"—they had the demo displays in the store.

I bought my rebuilt HP-65 fairly recently off the auction site. It looks like everything is as purchased new, as the serial # is written in the manual, QRG and std app manual. The green plastic case fits in the box if you remove the cardboard with the cutouts for the calculator/case, owners manual and charger. How the rest of the items (program forms, program cards, accessories literature, warranty info, calculator ads ...) were placed in the retail box, I have no clue.
I keep the calculator, cards and manuals in the hard case and keep the retail box on a shelf for safe keeping.
I put a 3,000 mah NiMh battery pack in the HP-65 and use it quite often.
Dave

RE: Original Box for Classics - [kby] - 06-29-2019 04:29 AM

Looking at yours (and other pictures I've seen of the box) is it really tall enough to hold the green case and then the cardboard with the calculator, charger, etc. on top of it? Even if, say the calculator is in the hard case and only the soft case is in the carboard slot?

I think mine came with the calculator, manual, soft case, charger, and QRG at least in the hard case. The Standard Pac cards could fit in there, too, but not the Standard Pac manual, so that must have been separate.

I also have a listing of programs in the library at the time and some library submission forms, but I think all of that came in the mail when you sent in the registration card or something like that.

Along with that, the Pocket Instruction Cards come as a loosely shrink-wrapped double stack of 10/per stack (20 cards total) on a double-width piece of cardboard. The Program Forms pad also has a cover on the pad when it's new.

It seems like the -65, -55, and last iteration of the -45 were the last calculators sold with hard cases; all the green molded plastic; subsequently, there were no hard ("travel") cases sold for the Woodstocks (even the 67), sting or spice machines and by the time you get to the Voyagers they seem pretty superfluous due to the smaller fooprint of the calculator.

RE: Original Box for Classics - DaveBr - 07-02-2019 05:06 PM

(06-29-2019 04:29 AM)[kby] Wrote:  Looking at yours (and other pictures I've seen of the box) is it really tall enough to hold the green case and then the cardboard with the calculator, charger, etc. on top of it? Even if, say the calculator is in the hard case and only the soft case is in the carboard slot?

I think mine came with the calculator, manual, soft case, charger, and QRG at least in the hard case. The Standard Pac cards could fit in there, too, but not the Standard Pac manual, so that must have been separate.

I also have a listing of programs in the library at the time and some library submission forms, but I think all of that came in the mail when you sent in the registration card or something like that.

Along with that, the Pocket Instruction Cards come as a loosely shrink-wrapped double stack of 10/per stack (20 cards total) on a double-width piece of cardboard. The Program Forms pad also has a cover on the pad when it's new.

It seems like the -65, -55, and last iteration of the -45 were the last calculators sold with hard cases; all the green molded plastic; subsequently, there were no hard ("travel") cases sold for the Woodstocks (even the 67), sting or spice machines and by the time you get to the Voyagers they seem pretty superfluous due to the smaller fooprint of the calculator.

The green hard case fills the box without the cardboard cutout. There is about 1 1/4” of empty space along the long edge, but the sides are contacting the inside of the box. The top of the hard case is ~ 3/16” from the top of the box. I doubt HP shipped the HP-65 in the hard case in this box.
I just noticed the cardboard insert has “55-65” marked on the reverse side.
Dave