HP Forums
Gurus??? - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Gurus??? (/thread-1304.html)

Pages: 1 2

Gurus??? - John W Kercheval - 05-13-2014 05:19 PM

Name your top 5 HPCalc Gurus & why....

RE: Gurus??? - Maximilian Hohmann - 05-13-2014 05:46 PM

(05-13-2014 05:19 PM)John W Kercheval Wrote:  Name your top 5 HPCalc Gurus & why....

I know only two: Hewlett and Packard. Why? Who knows...

RE: Gurus??? - Jeff_Kearns - 05-13-2014 08:55 PM

(05-13-2014 05:19 PM)John W Kercheval Wrote:  Name your top 5 HPCalc Gurus & why....

Hey John - are you vying for senior member status now? ;-)

There are many gurus on this forum (and in the old forum archives). I hesitate to name only 5 as that would be unfair. To name a few off the top of my head:

> Katie W.
> Valentin A.
> Karl Schneider
> Gene W.
> Walter B.
> Thomas Klemm
> Paul Dale
> Angel Martin
> Gerson B.
> Dave Britten
> Namir
> Geoff Q.
> and a hundred others (whom I sincerely would not wish to offend by omitting their names)...

Just take a look at the articles (new and old) section - lots of gurus there.

Jeff K

RE: Gurus??? - waterlander2004 - 05-18-2014 02:03 PM

No list in this context would be complete without including Tony Duell, for reverse-engineering and documenting any piece of vintage HP (and other) equipment he gets in his hands… and for generously sharing his knowledge.

Regards, Eric

RE: Gurus??? - Ángel Martin - 05-19-2014 06:11 AM

Any list like that is necessarily both incomplete and probably includes errors (like adding me as a guru is a vast exaggeration, but thanks for the gesture :-)

Here's a few more names at the top of my head that deserve inclusion:

Eric Smith
Thomas Okken
Diego Díaz
J-F Garnier
Monte Dalrymple

RE: Gurus??? - Tony Duell - 05-19-2014 07:39 AM

(05-18-2014 02:03 PM)waterlander2004 Wrote:  No list in this context would be complete without including Tony Duell, for reverse-engineering and documenting any piece of vintage HP (and other) equipment he gets in his hands… and for generously sharing his knowledge.

Regards, Eric

I think that's going far too far. I am certainly no guru....

RE: Gurus??? - jebem - 05-19-2014 12:44 PM

And let's not forget to mention advanced math contributors in this MoHP forums.
(not a concise list, of course, these are just the latest contributors on threads where I was involved as well):

- Dieter;
- Joe Horn;
- Manolo Sobrino;

RE: Gurus??? - Sylvain Cote - 05-20-2014 01:51 AM

My top five gurus are selected from the HP-41/IL world ...

Code:
Angel Martin            Master of the NUT, creator of so many ROM's and the one who always pushes the boundaries of the 41 farther away
Diego Díaz              Creator of the Clonix & NoV modules that allow us to use the marvels from Angel. 
Monte Dalrymple         Creator of the ultimate HP-41, the 41CL who moved the 41 into another dimension.
Jean-Francois Garnier   Master of the Loop and the one who connected the old generation (IL) to the new one (USB) with it's PIL-Box.
Christoph Gießelink     Mr. Simulator, who took the IL simulator work of JFG for MS-DOS, moved it to Windows, refined it and expanded it beyond dreams.

Sylvain

RE: Gurus??? - Vagn Anderssen - 05-23-2014 04:03 PM

Angel Martin is a character on "The Rockford Files"

RE: Gurus??? - Ángel Martin - 05-24-2014 07:26 AM

(05-23-2014 04:03 PM)Vagn Anderssen Wrote:  Angel Martin is a character on "The Rockford Files"

interestingly it's not the same one ;-)

RE: Gurus??? - Tugdual - 05-24-2014 07:47 AM

I'me quite impressed by the CORDIC algorithm and you can read on Wikipedia
Quote:Although CORDIC is similar to mathematical techniques published by Henry Briggs as early as 1624, it is optimized for low complexity finite state CPUs.

John Stephen Walther at Hewlett-Packard further generalized the algorithm, allowing it to calculate hyperbolic and exponential functions, logarithms, multiplications, divisions, and square roots.[2]
So JS Walther would be my Guru.

RE: Gurus??? - Katie Wasserman - 05-24-2014 04:25 PM

(05-24-2014 07:26 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  
(05-23-2014 04:03 PM)Vagn Anderssen Wrote:  Angel Martin is a character on "The Rockford Files"

interestingly it's not the same one ;-)

Yes but you're both

(05-20-2014 01:51 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  Master of the NUT

In two entirely different meanings of the word!

RE: Gurus? - Raymond Del Tondo - 05-24-2014 04:42 PM

(05-13-2014 05:19 PM)John W Kercheval Wrote:  Name your top 5 HPCalc Gurus
Bill Wickes, Charlie Patton and the whole HP 48 development team.
And of course the HP-41 development team;-)
That's more than 5, and there are more, but they are those who created the whole stuff.
(05-13-2014 05:19 PM)John W Kercheval Wrote:  & why....
All Saturn-based machines.
And the other team: All nut based machines.

RE: Gurus??? - Namir - 05-25-2014 12:57 PM

Two gurus that were not mentioned so far.

The first is Jim DeArras who is a true genius. He tapped into the memory of the HP-41C and created a quad memory that did not need bank-switching (as HP had done in its labs in Corvallis). He did with a simple oscilloscope!! Jim had an insightful knowledge for the HP-41C calculator.

The other guru is none other than Richard Nelson, who is a genius in bringing the community of users into the PPC, then CHHU, and now the annual HHC conferences. If you think organizing these kinds of conferences is easy, give it a try. Richard maintains a special charisma that brings HP calculator enthusiasts together. Richard was also behind the PPC-ROM project and had put a major labor of love in assembling the fantastic and detailed manual for that ROM!

Namir

RE: Gurus??? - Antoine M. Couette - 05-25-2014 04:50 PM

HrastProgrammer for his outstanding and astounding HP41CX emulators working on HP48GX, HP49G and HP50G and Jean-François Garnier with EMU41 (see : http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/hpmuseum/archv016.cgi?read=91719)

Kermit

Antoine M. "Kermit" Couëtte

RE: Gurus??? - d b - 01-10-2015 08:55 PM

Don't forget W. Mier Jedrezejowicz, Marcus Von Cube, Kieth Jarett and Jean-Daniel Dodin.

RE: Gurus??? - RMollov - 01-12-2015 02:20 AM

I'd put Werner before all mentioned already.

RE: Gurus??? - Han - 01-12-2015 02:28 AM

I started during the HP48 era, so Mika Heiskanen, Mozgy, and Jan Brittenson would be on my list.

RE: Gurus??? - Namir - 01-12-2015 04:13 AM

(05-13-2014 08:55 PM)Jeff_Kearns Wrote:  

Hey John - are you vying for senior member status now? ;-)

There are many gurus on this forum (and in the old forum archives). I hesitate to name only 5 as that would be unfair. To name a few off the top of my head:

> Katie W.
> Valentin A.
> Karl Schneider
> Gene W.
> Walter B.
> Thomas Klemm
> Paul Dale
> Angel Martin
> Gerson B.
> Dave Britten
> Namir
> Geoff Q.
> and a hundred others (whom I sincerely would not wish to offend by omitting their names)...

Just take a look at the articles (new and old) section - lots of gurus there.

Jeff K

I am humbled to be in the list. I enjoy calculators, math, and statistics a lot. I spend each day dabbling in these subjects. The folks who visit this forum and attend the HHC conference are very smart people. I enjoy sharing some of the math discoveries here and also at the HHC conference (Thank you Eric for videotaping the HHC talks and posting them on YouTube).

Namir

RE: Gurus??? - brouhaha - 01-12-2015 10:47 AM

(05-19-2014 07:39 AM)Tony Duell Wrote:  I think that's going far too far. I am certainly no guru....

Like it or not, you've got a pretty good claim to be a guru about a lot of stuff, and many of us are very appreciative of that.

Quote:Only the true messiah denies his divinity.
- Life of Brian, Monty Python

Eric
(a different one)