HP Forums
Question about the HP 35s sleeve case - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Question about the HP 35s sleeve case (/thread-12694.html)

Question about the HP 35s sleeve case - ErikN - 03-27-2019 04:07 PM

Hello fellow HP calculators fans!

I need someone with the sleeve case to check if the liner is glued to the case by carefully pulling it away from the sleeve and see if it separates or if it seems glued to it. Or if anyone knows the answer already.

Backstory: I decided to wash my sleeve case since it was a bit dirty. I decided to do so under running water with some soap, knowing that it may never be the same again after such treatment. Because I have issues with dry hands, I used nitrile rubber gloves while washing it, and they yellowed significantly while washing which made me wonder if I had accidentally dissolved some glue in the process.

Now, I don't want any glue residue against my 35s that can cause any chemical reactions or yellowing, destroying it's beautiful appearance. That's why I'd like to know if the liner is at all glued in. I should probably have checked that before I started but it's a little bit late now. My liner is not stuck to the case by the way, so if it was glued in place it's not anymore. It's also significantly softer after the wash (kinda lost some of its rigidity).

Any kind HP 35s owners who could help?

RE: Question about the HP 35s sleeve case - burkhard - 03-27-2019 08:49 PM

I wasn't sure if mine was glued or just really tight, so I carefully slid a needle though the lining and attempted to pull it away from the outer sleeve; it appears glued.

Looks like a water soluble glue was used....

RE: Question about the HP 35s sleeve case - ErikN - 03-27-2019 09:04 PM

Thank you for your thorough investigation!

Looks like I ruined mine then. I guess I will have to find another protective case.
Too bad that they don't ship the zippered ones with new calculators anymore. Those seemed great

Edit:
I took a toothpick and carefully separated the liner at the edge, and it would seem like there is a sheet of cardboard between the liner and the outer case. Or in my case, there was cardboard, now it's just a wet substance that looks like it used to be cardboard. It was probably glued in place at least to the liner. I should have just wiped the outside off with a cloth, but lesson learned (and money lost I guess).

RE: Question about the HP 35s sleeve case - Dave Frederickson - 03-28-2019 01:09 AM

Clamshell cases for the 35S available here, http://www.samsoncables.com/catalog/prodByCat.cfm?categoryid=11.