HP Forums
[wp-34s] unit not responsive after succesful flashing - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Not quite HP Calculators - but related (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: [wp-34s] unit not responsive after succesful flashing (/thread-12394.html)

[wp-34s] unit not responsive after succesful flashing - Jeroen Van Nieuwenhove - 02-09-2019 08:14 PM

Sorry to bother you all with another wp-34s flashing thread, but I seem to have a peculiar problem that I could not find on the forum.
I have two wp-34s units that I tried to update. Until now, the update procedure always went flawlessly. Going through the usual procedure, the calc_full.bin file was succesfully transferred with MySamba, but after pressing reset on the programming cable and on on the calc, the calc does not turn on. I repeated the procedure several times, but to no avail.
Batteries are fresh. Every time the MySamba file transfer is succesful, but both units refuse to turn on. They cannot be dead, I assume, because there has to be some interaction with the calc for the MySamba file transfer to be succesful.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Jeroen

RE: [wp-34s] unit not responsive after succesful flashing - Harald - 02-10-2019 11:12 AM

(02-09-2019 08:14 PM)Jeroen Van Nieuwenhove Wrote:  Sorry to bother you all with another wp-34s flashing thread, but I seem to have a peculiar problem that I could not find on the forum.
I have two wp-34s units that I tried to update. Until now, the update procedure always went flawlessly. Going through the usual procedure, the calc_full.bin file was succesfully transferred with MySamba, but after pressing reset on the programming cable and on on the calc, the calc does not turn on. I repeated the procedure several times, but to no avail.
Batteries are fresh. Every time the MySamba file transfer is succesful, but both units refuse to turn on. They cannot be dead, I assume, because there has to be some interaction with the calc for the MySamba file transfer to be succesful.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Jeroen

Have you installed a crystal? It sounds like you have flashed a bin file that requires a crystal but the crystal is not installed.

Cheers,
Harald

RE: [wp-34s] unit not responsive after succesful flashing - Jeroen Van Nieuwenhove - 02-10-2019 12:09 PM

Thanks Harald, there were no hardware modifications. Also, I used the calc_full.bin file and not the calc_xtal_full.bin file.
But your reply got me thinking and I tried again with the calc.bin file and this time it went perfectly for both units. Then I downloaded the calc_full.bin file again and this time I successfully completed the procedure. So it seems my previous download of the calc_full.bin file was corrupted. My mistake.

Kind regards,

Jeroen

RE: [wp-34s] unit not responsive after succesful flashing - burkhard - 02-11-2019 03:37 PM

(02-10-2019 12:09 PM)Jeroen Van Nieuwenhove Wrote:  Then I downloaded the calc_full.bin file again and this time I successfully completed the procedure. So it seems my previous download of the calc_full.bin file was corrupted. My mistake.

I think I've had the same problem downloading the latest WP34s binaries from SourceForge in the past. Instead of getting a binary of ≈120KB, I wound up with some HTML (but named *.bin) that was only ≈22KB or something like that.

I used Chrome and recall it wasn't happy doing a standard right-click "save link as". If I tried that, I wouldn't get the actual binary, even though it would seem to have the proper name. I may have been a certain vintage of Chrome that was causing my trouble, because I can't seem to replicate it now.

So, now that I have been "once-bitten", I take care that the file length is reasonable.

Glad it all works OK now, though :-)

RE: [wp-34s] unit not responsive after succesful flashing - grsbanks - 02-11-2019 04:00 PM

Err... Checksums?

RE: [wp-34s] unit not responsive after succesful flashing - Jeroen Van Nieuwenhove - 02-13-2019 09:37 AM

(02-11-2019 03:37 PM)burkhard Wrote:  I think I've had the same problem downloading the latest WP34s binaries from SourceForge in the past. Instead of getting a binary of ≈120KB, I wound up with some HTML (but named *.bin) that was only ≈22KB or something like that.

I used Chrome and recall it wasn't happy doing a standard right-click "save link as". If I tried that, I wouldn't get the actual binary, even though it would seem to have the proper name. I may have been a certain vintage of Chrome that was causing my trouble, because I can't seem to replicate it now.
I tried replicating my mistake in Firefox with the calc_full.bin file. When I did the standard right-click "save link as", I ended up with a 105 Kb file that upon inspection seems to be a html-type file. When I simply clicked on the link, I got an error message "calc_full.bin is not known to be viewable in your browser. Try to display it anyway or download it instead.". Clicking on the link in the word "download" yielded a 121 Kb file. That was the legitimate file I needed. The last mentioned link is "https://sourceforge.net/p/wp34s/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/realbuild/calc_full.bin?format=raw". So the "?format=raw" addition is needed.
I must admit dat this procedure (first click on the file, then use the link in the word "download") is detailed in Walter's WP34S Owner's Manual (v. 3.2), p. 221.