HP Forums
Badges for Voyager Series Calculators - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Badges for Voyager Series Calculators (/thread-12195.html)

Badges for Voyager Series Calculators - Ignatz - 01-15-2019 10:53 AM

Hi all, new member here...

I’m in the process of putting my HP collection back together: I’m getting a 35S to replace my 41C (stolen) and a 12C to replace my 11C (also stolen :0( The 32E is proving a little trickier... just have to be patient, I suppose...

The 12C that I’ve sourced is missing its badge... does anyone know of a source for these? (Tried googling and searching on here but no joy).

Alternatively, I wonder if it would be possible to get one 3D printed?

RE: Badges for Voyager Series Calculators - damaltor - 01-22-2019 09:27 AM

I might have a spare. Not sure though. Will check in the (european) evening.

RE: Badges for Voyager Series Calculators - grsbanks - 01-22-2019 09:47 AM

Such a pity Sad The 35S is no replacement for a 41C!

How about casting a replacement badge? - striegel - 01-22-2019 01:43 PM

(01-15-2019 10:53 AM)Ignatz Wrote:  ...
The 12C that I’ve sourced is missing its badge... does anyone know of a source for these? (Tried googling and searching on here but no joy).

Dallas Osborne cast some Voyager badges in silver in 2010. Cool, huh?

You might try something similar, as I don't know that he's still doing that sort of thing.

Alan

RE: Badges for Voyager Series Calculators - Nigel (UK) - 01-22-2019 06:45 PM

(01-22-2019 09:47 AM)grsbanks Wrote:  Such a pity Sad The 35S is no replacement for a 41C!
Indeed. Far more memory, a proper alphanumeric two-line display, numeric solver, integration, hyperbolic functions, good collection of built-in constants, (basic) complex number and fraction support!

(Turns and runs away very quickly...)

Nigel (UK)

RE: Badges for Voyager Series Calculators - damaltor - 01-23-2019 10:39 AM

(01-22-2019 09:27 AM)damaltor Wrote:  I might have a spare. Not sure though. Will check in the (european) evening.

I'm sorry, but i was mistaken. I dont have any spare 12C badges.

RE: Badges for Voyager Series Calculators - grsbanks - 01-23-2019 10:51 AM

(01-22-2019 06:45 PM)Nigel (UK) Wrote:  Indeed. Far more memory, a proper alphanumeric two-line display, numeric solver, integration, hyperbolic functions, good collection of built-in constants, (basic) complex number and fraction support!

Tongue in cheek, I know, but...

Far more memory that you can't actually get anything into without typing it (no I/O whatsoever on the 35S).

Proper alphanumeric two-line display that is unusable barring nasty prompt hacks.

Numeric solver, integration and hyperbolic functions that are easy to program and exist everywhere on the internet and don't make you store whatever you're working on as an algebraic expression.

No constants on the HP-41C, true. Having to look one up and enter it manually is a small price to pay.

Complex number support comes with the Math Pac that gets you integration, a solver and hyperbolic functions.

Not really bothered about fractions Smile

Had to be said!

RE: Badges for Voyager Series Calculators - Massimo Gnerucci - 01-23-2019 01:05 PM

(01-23-2019 10:51 AM)grsbanks Wrote:  
(01-22-2019 06:45 PM)Nigel (UK) Wrote:  Indeed. Far more memory, a proper alphanumeric two-line display, numeric solver, integration, hyperbolic functions, good collection of built-in constants, (basic) complex number and fraction support!

Far more memory that you can't actually get anything into without typing it (no I/O whatsoever on the 35S).

Proper alphanumeric two-line display that is unusable barring nasty prompt hacks.

Numeric solver, integration and hyperbolic functions that are easy to program and exist everywhere on the internet and don't make you store whatever you're working on as an algebraic expression.

No constants on the HP-41C, true. Having to look one up and enter it manually is a small price to pay.

Complex number support comes with the Math Pac that gets you integration, a solver and hyperbolic functions.

Had to be said!

´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶……..
´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶´´´´´´´´´´¶¶……
´´´´´´¶¶¶¶¶´´´´´´´¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶……….
´´´´´¶´´´´´¶´´´´¶¶´´´´´¶¶´´´´¶¶´´´´´¶¶…………..
´´´´´¶´´´´´¶´´´¶¶´´´´´´¶¶´´´´¶¶´´´´´´´¶¶…..
´´´´´¶´´´´¶´´¶¶´´´´´´´´¶¶´´´´¶¶´´´´´´´´¶¶…..
´´´´´´¶´´´¶´´´¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶….
´´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶….
´´´¶´´´´´´´´´´´´¶´¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶´´´´´¶¶….
´´¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´´¶´´¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶´´´´´¶¶….
´¶¶´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶´´´´¶¶´´´´´´´´¶¶´´´´´´´¶¶…
´¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶´´´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶¶´´´´´´´´´¶¶….
´¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶…..
´´¶´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶….
´´¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´¶´´¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶….
´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶´´´´´¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶…..
´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶…….

RE: Badges for Voyager Series Calculators - toml_12953 - 01-23-2019 03:00 PM

(01-22-2019 09:47 AM)grsbanks Wrote:  Such a pity Sad The 35S is no replacement for a 41C!

NOTHING is an adequate replacement for a 41C (except a 41CX!)

RE: Badges for Voyager Series Calculators - grsbanks - 01-23-2019 03:01 PM

(01-23-2019 03:00 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  NOTHING is an adequate replacement for a 41C (except a 41CX!)

How about a 71B? Smile

RE: Badges for Voyager Series Calculators - Sylvain Cote - 01-23-2019 03:37 PM

(01-23-2019 03:01 PM)grsbanks Wrote:  
(01-23-2019 03:00 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  NOTHING is an adequate replacement for a 41C (except a 41CX!)

How about a 71B? Smile

and how about the 41CL ? Smile

RE: Badges for Voyager Series Calculators - grsbanks - 01-23-2019 05:56 PM

(01-23-2019 03:37 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  and how about the 41CL ? Smile

Fantastic piece of kit and hats off to Monte for designing it. But it's no longer a Hewlett Packard. Not completely anyway Smile

This said, I fully plan to get a CL board and convert my CV with it, keeping the 41C and 41CX in their original condition.

RE: Badges for Voyager Series Calculators - Sylvain Cote - 01-23-2019 07:18 PM

The HP-71B was the most powerful and extensible handheld system that HP has produced.
When a FRAM71 (A or B) module is installed, the thing is something to behold!

IMHO the only major limitation was the LCD, his 1 line of 22 characters was a shame when compared to the 4 lines by 26 characters of the Sharp PC-1600.
The other limitation, although contextual, was RAM price of the 1980's.

As for the 41CL, at the core level, Monte's board is an improved reimplementation of the original, using today technology.
When you add all the software that Monte, Ángel and other has added to it, it then become the ultimate 41.

Once you use a 41CL you never go back to the original, well almost Wink
... same thing with the 71B+FRAM combo btw

RE: Badges for Voyager Series Calculators - Nigel (UK) - 01-23-2019 09:19 PM

(01-23-2019 10:51 AM)grsbanks Wrote:  

Had to be said!
I can't argue with this!

I have a HP-41CV with Math Pac myself and recognise its extensibility, "depth", and very high standard of construction - my favourite keyboard feel, even better than my beloved Casios! However, I still like the HP-35S and feel that sometimes it is underestimated. Its predecessor (HP-33S) was my daily calculator for several years in my job as a physics teacher and it was splendid: in that context, every bit as good as a HP-41 would have been.

However, I'm also quite certain that no future Monte Dalrymple will be issuing a souped-up HP-35S in twenty years' time!

I wish the OP good luck rebuilding their collection.

Nigel (UK)

RE: Badges for Voyager Series Calculators - Harald - 01-24-2019 01:30 PM

(01-23-2019 10:39 AM)damaltor Wrote:  
(01-22-2019 09:27 AM)damaltor Wrote:  I might have a spare. Not sure though. Will check in the (european) evening.

I'm sorry, but i was mistaken. I dont have any spare 12C badges.

I guess the one you had in mind is in front of me on my desk Smile

I don't need it and could send it to Ignatz, just need to know the mail address. Just let me know via personal message Ignatz.

RE: Badges for Voyager Series Calculators - Geoff Quickfall - 01-24-2019 05:38 PM

I TOTALLY agree with Sylvain!

However, I need infrared printing and the 71B FRAM doesn’t do that. Yes the HPIL printer is available but much larger then the IR printer.

So, in light of my recent school activity the 41CL has been resurrected for the lab along with some HPIL equipment.

I need to up grade my beta board and Monte’s latest board. A lot of reading t9 do on that!

Cheers, Geoff