HP Forums
Android: Is there a reader for .hpprgm text files - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Not remotely HP Calculators (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Android: Is there a reader for .hpprgm text files (/thread-11662.html)

Android: Is there a reader for .hpprgm text files - StephenG1CMZ - 10-25-2018 05:19 PM

I recall old Android's (Android 3?) that, upon encountering an unknown filetype, would allow the user to select from a list of programs to open it with.

Androids 4, 5 and 6 don't seem so advanced, and just say "unsupported filetype".

That is particularly awkward for the many text filetypes that exist: Such as .py or .hpprgm (or is it .pgrm?).

For most people, the solution is probably to ditch Android in favour of a PC, which has been able to read such text files without gaps since the 1980s.
An alternative would be to rename filetypes, but that may require a 3rd party file manager.

However, it would be convenient if a reader were written for the Android...It shouldn't be too difficult to wrap a few lines of Java declaring an intent to open a .hpprgm around an existing reader for .txt.

RE: Android: Is there a reader for .hpprgm text files - EugeneNine - 10-26-2018 01:15 PM

Look for 'astro file manager'. You long hold on the file to select it then select open, select text and it will then ask what app to open with.

RE: Android: Is there a reader for .hpprgm text files - StephenG1CMZ - 10-26-2018 02:45 PM

If you mean Android file manager, I've just tried that again on Android 4.
Long pressing File Manager pops the File Manager into a window.
Browsing to a filename and Long Pressing the filename pops up a menu with other options (delete, details, ...but not text or open).
The file I used was a .py file recently extracted from a zip.

Using ThinkFreeViewer instead, on Android 4, long pressing gives an Open menu which leads to a not supported.

Which version of Android are you using? I've read some comments on stackoverflow suggesting Samsung's may have a problem.

RE: Android: Is there a reader for .hpprgm text files - EugeneNine - 10-27-2018 08:40 PM

No, 'Astro File Manager' you have to download from the Google store.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.metago.astro&hl=en_US