HP Forums
These exact clones of vintage HP calcs are on my Android phone... - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Not quite HP Calculators - but related (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: These exact clones of vintage HP calcs are on my Android phone... (/thread-11462.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: These exact clones of vintage HP calcs are on my Android phone... - wfen - 10-02-2018 09:42 PM

Olivier - I'm really pleased to see updates for android compatibility. For a couple of years I've been limited to using go49g due to running updated android versions on my devices.

I wanted to share that the updated go49g+ on my android 9.0 pie running "essential phone" truncates the bottom row of the calculator buttons in portrait mode. It is similarly missing most of the right buttons in landscape mode. This is a phone with a notch and soft buttons.

I'm also getting "error loading state" when launching the app with the 2MB_215f.bin firmware in the download directory. The "calculator screen" shows a sort of random noise image.

thanks for revisiting these emulators. i really appreciate your contributions.

RE: These exact clones of vintage HP calcs are on my Android phone... - cdmackay - 10-05-2018 10:32 AM

(10-02-2018 08:06 PM)Oulan Wrote:  P.S. I am currently starting to make all my apps compatible with android 7 & 8 due to undocumented android bugs and behaviour changes (actually go49g+ is done, pioneers to follow, go27s is done, on the market in 2 days)

Thanks very much for updating your apps, Olivier; I just bought your 49g+/50g app; very pleased with it, thanks.

quick note: it seems to me that you have the columns reversed in your Flags help.

RE: These exact clones of vintage HP calcs are on my Android phone... - Guenter Schink - 10-05-2018 10:19 PM

(10-02-2018 08:06 PM)Oulan Wrote:  P.S. I am currently starting to make all my apps compatible with android 7 & 8 due to undocumented android bugs and behaviour changes (actually go49g+ is done, pioneers to follow, go27s is done, on the market in 2 days)

That's really good news. The update of go49g+ for my Galaxy S8 looks pretty nice. However I can't activate the printer menu. Help and menu work fine by touching the respective areas, But printer menu - NO. I tried it with both skins and portrait and landscape orientation.

Günter

RE: These exact clones of vintage HP calcs are on my Android phone... - Oulan - 10-23-2018 03:03 PM

(10-02-2018 08:06 PM)Oulan Wrote:  
(09-27-2018 01:41 AM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  The images in this page might be of interest to you. Don't ask questions; just think and experiment...

https://hp.giesselink.com/ImageArt/ImageArt.htm

thinking is done ... now time to code new emulators for android Wink

Olivier

P.S. I am currently starting to make all my apps compatible with android 7 & 8 due to undocumented android bugs and behaviour changes (actually go49g+ is done, pioneers to follow, go27s is done, on the market in 2 days)

Code is done :

[Image: 32sii-002.jpg]
[Image: 32sii-001.jpg]

With a nice patch to have a whooping 896 bytes free Smile

Olivier

RE: These exact clones of vintage HP calcs are on my Android phone... - rprosperi - 10-23-2018 04:03 PM

(10-23-2018 03:03 PM)Oulan Wrote:  
(10-02-2018 08:06 PM)Oulan Wrote:  Code is done...
With a nice patch to have a whooping 896 bytes free Smile

Olivier

Is go71b going to be upgraded as well?

I sent in a few bugs and questions via email not long ago, but did not hear back. Shall I resend them?

RE: These exact clones of vintage HP calcs are on my Android phone... - cdmackay - 10-23-2018 05:40 PM

(10-23-2018 03:03 PM)Oulan Wrote:  thinking is done ... now time to code new emulators for android Wink

Olivier

I too have sent a few questions; where is the best place to report issues using your (excellent) purchased emulators, please Olivier?

thanks.

RE: These exact clones of vintage HP calcs are on my Android phone... - EugeneNine - 10-23-2018 06:46 PM

so there are other emulators available already? The only one I've ever searched for is droid 48.

RE: These exact clones of vintage HP calcs are on my Android phone... - Guenter Schink - 10-23-2018 08:50 PM

(10-23-2018 06:46 PM)EugeneNine Wrote:  so there are other emulators available already? The only one I've ever searched for is droid 48.

Droid 48 is another family. Olivier's emulators all have the prefix "go". E.g. go48cx. here is an overview of his HP emulators.

Frankly I must say that I have mixed feelings about what he does. He does produce very nice emulators, and I have spent more than US$100 on various emulators (12 total) of him. The go71b and go41cxt being my absolute favorites.

BUT Olivier does not respond at all to any bug reports. Neither in the Play store nor by email. go71b was completely useless for more than a year after a system upgrade on Galaxy TAB S2. There was no reply on any bug reports. Meanwhile it is fixed, so far so good. But whenever you buy one of his emulators you have to be aware that all of sudden, it will stop to work. And there is NO way to get in contact with Olivier.

I doubt that he will comment on the reports of Bob and cdmackay. He simply doesn't care.

Günter

RE: These exact clones of vintage HP calcs are on my Android phone... - EugeneNine - 10-24-2018 12:03 AM

Ahh, hes selling his I see. I stick with open source, droid 48 is supposed to be made from X48.

RE: These exact clones of vintage HP calcs are on my Android phone... - striegel - 10-24-2018 01:17 AM

(10-23-2018 08:50 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote:  ...BUT Olivier does not respond at all to any bug reports. Neither in the Play store nor by email. go71b was completely useless for more than a year after a system upgrade on Galaxy TAB S2....

To an extent, it seems like the problem was caused by the platform changing, more than anything originating with the app.

Alan

RE: These exact clones of vintage HP calcs are on my Android phone... - mfleming - 10-24-2018 01:17 AM

(10-23-2018 08:50 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote:  I doubt that he will comment on the reports of Bob and cdmackay. He simply doesn't care.

Günter
I received a reply from Oliver regarding a question a couple of years ago about where go41cxt stored files, the location having changed from what his documentation stated due to an Android version upgrade. YMMV, but I feel compellled to counter a blanket condemnation. Circumstances could match the fellow who did calculator repairs for years, then suddenly became incommunicado.

Who knows?
~Mark

RE: These exact clones of vintage HP calcs are on my Android phone... - Ángel Martin - 10-24-2018 04:35 AM

(10-24-2018 01:17 AM)mfleming Wrote:  
(10-23-2018 08:50 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote:  I doubt that he will comment on the reports of Bob and cdmackay. He simply doesn't care.

Günter
I received a reply from Oliver regarding a question a couple of years ago about where go41cxt stored files, the location having changed from what his documentation stated due to an Android version upgrade. YMMV, but I feel compellled to counter a blanket condemnation. Circumstances could match the fellow who did calculator repairs for years, then suddenly became incommunicado.

Who knows?
~Mark

+1

I concur - human beings are just too complex for a simplistic dismissal, and our lives sure get complicated more often than none.

ÁM

RE: These exact clones of vintage HP calcs are on my Android phone... - Vincent Weber - 10-24-2018 08:13 AM

I am in close touch with Olivier, and let me tell you that he *does* care. He has been away for quite a while because of his personal life, but he is now back and in the process of updating all his apps. It seems not fair to me to jump at his jugular the very day he comes here to say he is back... When you know nothing about what people have been through, don't assume anything ! My 2 cents.

RE: These exact clones of vintage HP calcs are on my Android phone... - Eric Rechlin - 10-24-2018 03:18 PM

My main concern about the "go" emulators is that they use HP intellectual property (ROMs) to function, many of which aren't even properly licensed, but then cost money, so the author is profiting tens of thousands of dollars off of stealing HP's IP. If they were open-source, even if he charged a nominal (say, $1) fee for the app download, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

RE: These exact clones of vintage HP calcs are on my Android phone... - Harald - 10-24-2018 03:21 PM

(09-27-2018 02:23 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
(09-27-2018 01:41 AM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  The images in this page might be of interest to you. Don't ask questions; just think and experiment...

https://hp.giesselink.com/ImageArt/ImageArt.htm

Well, thank you VERY much, Eric!
I didn't spot this page before on Christoph's site.

Finally I've them all. Smile

+1!

Hadn't spotted this either, thanks for sharing!
Alas, no 32S there. I wonder how the ROMs for the Pioneers without IR interface can be captured.

RE: These exact clones of vintage HP calcs are on my Android phone... - Vincent Weber - 10-24-2018 03:44 PM

(10-24-2018 03:18 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  My main concern about the "go" emulators is that they use HP intellectual property (ROMs) to function, many of which aren't even properly licensed, but then cost money, so the author is profiting tens of thousands of dollars off of stealing HP's IP. If they were open-source, even if he charged a nominal (say, $1) fee for the app download, I wouldn't have a problem with it.
I quite don't understand this statement:
1) No copyrighted ROM are provided with any go emulator. Only those that were either before copyright (<1982) or for which HP explictely gives the ROM away (HP-48/49);
2) I know exactly the amount of countless hours Olivier have put to write complete emulators from scratch (not ripping off emu48 as some do). Even though I put time on my side to help him with beta-testing, I bought every single one of his emulators, and I feel that this money was well deserved, I am a happy customer;
3) I know exactly Olivier sales figures, and they are nowhere near "tens of thousands of dollars". As he says, it is mainly paying for cigarettes... This is a very niche market. Only go41cx has significant sales, and there is huge work behind it. Same of i41cs+ by Antonio on IOS - great work, well-deserved money.

Some people like Christoph and Tomas Okken give away great software, which took them countless hours of work, for free. It is great that they do so, but there is no obligation to do so, neither legally nor morally. I personally feel that every significant work deserves a salary, and I am happy to pay, so that I can have requests.

If I follow your logic, selling the HP Museum DVD is ripping off HP. Whereas I believe that the people who took countless hours to scan manuals and collect info deserve money. Oh well...

RE: These exact clones of vintage HP calcs are on my Android phone... - Eric Rechlin - 10-24-2018 05:33 PM

(10-24-2018 03:44 PM)Vincent Weber Wrote:  1) No copyrighted ROM are provided with any go emulator. Only those that were either before copyright (<1982) or for which HP explictely gives the ROM away (HP-48/49);

I stand corrected then. I thought the ROMs were included.

(10-24-2018 03:44 PM)Vincent Weber Wrote:  3) I know exactly Olivier sales figures, and they are nowhere near "tens of thousands of dollars". As he says, it is mainly paying for cigarettes... This is a very niche market. Only go41cx has significant sales, and there is huge work behind it. Same of i41cs+ by Antonio on IOS - great work, well-deserved money.

Oh, interesting. I see go49g+ has 1000+ installs at $15 each, go49g has 1000+ installs at $15 each, go41cx has 1000+ installs at $10 each, and many of the other emulators have 100+ installs, so I don't know where all that is going then.

RE: These exact clones of vintage HP calcs are on my Android phone... - Guenter Schink - 10-24-2018 06:34 PM

(10-23-2018 08:50 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote:  
(10-23-2018 06:46 PM)EugeneNine Wrote:  so there are other emulators available already? The only one I've ever searched for is droid 48.

Droid 48 is another family. Olivier's emulators all have the prefix "go". E.g. go48cx. here is an overview of his HP emulators.

Frankly I must say that I have mixed feelings about what he does. He does produce very nice emulators, and I have spent more than US$100 on various emulators (12 total) of him. The go71b and go41cxt being my absolute favorites.

BUT Olivier does not respond at all to any bug reports. Neither in the Play store nor by email. go71b was completely useless for more than a year after a system upgrade on Galaxy TAB S2. There was no reply on any bug reports. Meanwhile it is fixed, so far so good. But whenever you buy one of his emulators you have to be aware that all of sudden, it will stop to work. And there is NO way to get in contact with Olivier.

I doubt that he will comment on the reports of Bob and cdmackay. He simply doesn't care.

Günter

For more than a year I've sent crash reports of go71b and even tried to contact Olivier by email on this issue without any success. And I gave up.

Now it seems that there were severe personal issues which kept him from supporting what he sells on the Google Play store. If this is the case I apologize for my harsh comment. My "mixed feelings" then will reduce to the positive part as mentioned above.

Time will tell how it's going to continue.

Günter

RE: These exact clones of vintage HP calcs are on my Android phone... - Vincent Weber - 10-24-2018 06:35 PM

So ? We are definitely talking way below 10K, not "tens of thousands of dollars". Even 10K is what ? 2 months salary of an experienced développer, spread over more than 7 years ! I know that Olivier spent way more time than that. Nothing shocking to me. When I know the level of détails he spent on de-assembling the ROMs to identify strange behaviour, emulating perfectly all instructions, interrupts and timers, on crafting skins with dedicated Python scripts and drawing annunciators by hand...I've seen the nightmare of emulating the very special memory of the HP-65... I'd rather pay $15 than try to do it myself !

Why not being a bit more grateful for what Olivier did for the community ? Almost all HP calculators (and Sharp) in your pocket !

RE: These exact clones of vintage HP calcs are on my Android phone... - Jlouis - 10-24-2018 07:23 PM

I totally agree with Vincent Weber.

Not to mention that android has many different versions and many different manufactures, like Samsung, makes changes in OS.

I have almost all Oliviers apps and I am very satisfied. I pay peanuts for a fantastic job, a pleasure to use.

And it's complete understandable some lack of communication due the amount of job that needs to be done and taking care of the personal life.

I know with proper time Olivier will fix all the issues and give us more emulators. He is doing so since the very beginning.

Cheers

JL