HP Forums
Best calculator for statistics? - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Best calculator for statistics? (/thread-11261.html)

Best calculator for statistics? - Jlouis - 08-25-2018 03:05 AM

What calculator do you think is best for use in statistics ? May be HP or not.

TIA

Cheers

RE: Best calculator for statistics? - Gene - 08-25-2018 04:17 AM

Best for what level class? what level work? The question is a bit broad IMO. :-)

The HP 10bII+ has four statistical distributions and plenty of regression models.

The HP 39g+ series has confidence intervals, etc.

Namir Shammas has written great statistical packages for the HP 35S.

Angel Martin has some great stats for the HP 41CL.

What are you looking for? :-)

RE: Best calculator for statistics? - ijabbott - 08-25-2018 07:17 AM

Pretty much any modern graphing calculator still in production ought to be fine, e.g. HP Prime, TI Nspire CX, TI 84 plus CE, Casio PRIZM fx-CG-10/CG-20 or fx-CG50. They all have a good selection of statistical tests and graphical plot types. I quite the Casio fx-CG50 for its chunky, easy to read keys and display.

The HP Prime (like its predecessors) supports user-defined regression functions although that might not be as useful as it sounds as the function cannot have any unknown coefficients.

RE: Best calculator for statistics? - Dave Britten - 08-25-2018 09:22 PM

(08-25-2018 07:17 AM)ijabbott Wrote:  The HP Prime (like its predecessors) supports user-defined regression functions although that might not be as useful as it sounds as the function cannot have any unknown coefficients.

As far as I was able to determine, that's just there to let you graph an arbitrary function along with your stat plot. It's sort of a side effect of splitting function graphing and stats into two separate "apps". Casio's approach is to let you press the "DefG" soft key while viewing a stat plot and also configure/draw function graphs. TI avoids this entirely by having a single "Graph" button that displays all defined function graphs and stat plots at once.

RE: Best calculator for statistics? - Namir - 08-26-2018 04:18 AM

(08-25-2018 04:17 AM)Gene Wrote:  Namir Shammas has written great statistical packages for the HP 35S.

And it's free! Click here to go to the HP-35s stat pac web page.

RE: Best calculator for statistics? - Paul Dale - 08-26-2018 07:17 AM

The WP 34S includes a decent amount of statistics.
Albeit only two variable plus a lot of distributions.

Pauli

RE: Best calculator for statistics? - Csaba Tizedes - 08-26-2018 08:46 AM

(08-26-2018 04:18 AM)Namir Wrote:  
(08-25-2018 04:17 AM)Gene Wrote:  Namir Shammas has written great statistical packages for the HP 35S.

Just one question: All of them can be placed into the memory same time or must to retype what we actually needed (because the limitation of 26 labels)?!

Thanks,
Csaba

RE: Best calculator for statistics? - Maximilian Hohmann - 08-26-2018 11:25 AM

(08-25-2018 03:05 AM)Jlouis Wrote:  What calculator do you think is best for use in statistics ? May be HP or not.

If I had to choose one from HP I would take an HP-95LX with built-in Lotus 1-2-3. Or one of it's successors. Non HP I would take my favorite calculator for everything, the Ti Voyage 200 (or a Ti 89). Either do the statistics in it's own spreadsheed (CellSheet they call it) or directly in the command line.

RE: Best calculator for statistics? - SlideRule - 08-26-2018 11:42 AM

A modest endorsement for the HP-21S STAT/MATH for basic-intermediate statistics & probability. Still quite reasonable prices for a very-good to excellent working model on various web sites.

BEST!
SlideRule

RE: Best calculator for statistics? - Dave Britten - 08-26-2018 01:20 PM

(08-26-2018 11:42 AM)SlideRule Wrote:  A modest endorsement for the HP-21S STAT/MATH for basic-intermediate statistics & probability. Still quite reasonable prices for a very-good to excellent working model on various web sites.

BEST!
SlideRule

The 20S and 21S are pretty cool models, and two of very few programmable algebraic models from HP, but I probably wouldn't use them for very data-heavy statistics. The 21S does have quite a few built-in distribution calculations (normal, student's, F, chi-square), so if that's a large percentage of what you need, it might be a good fit. But it doesn't do list-based statistics, and it only has linear regression built in (unless you program other models yourself, or manually transform data before entering).

One of the neat features of the 20S and 21S is the built-in program library that lets you load a few pre-written programs into memory. The 21S, according to the manual, has one- and two-sample test stats, linear regression test stats, chi-square test stats, binomial probability, and TVM.

The 10BII+ might also be worth considering, as it allows for a small amount of list-based data, and has more regression models, though it's lacking F and chi-square distributions, and obviously isn't programmable.

RE: Best calculator for statistics? - Jlouis - 08-26-2018 01:46 PM

(08-25-2018 04:17 AM)Gene Wrote:  Best for what level class? what level work? The question is a bit broad IMO. :-)

The HP 10bII+ has four statistical distributions and plenty of regression models.

The HP 39g+ series has confidence intervals, etc.

Namir Shammas has written great statistical packages for the HP 35S.

Angel Martin has some great stats for the HP 41CL.

What are you looking for? :-)

Hi Gene, thanks for the reply,

The question is broad, I know, but the intention is the more functions, the better.

Unfortunately I don have the 41CL, but a CV with math/stat Pac and the and the Hp applied statistics I and II will give me many options. And, of course, using a 41 is an extra pleasure, with that wonderfull keys...

I don't have the 10bII+, but I will have a look in the emulator and if I like it, I will consider buy one.

As fan of pocket calculators, I prefer use one as using the excel. But the calculators will only be used for the preliminary work, as nowadays I will end up plotting the final work in excel and make a dashboard in power BI to send to my boss.

Thanks again

RE: Best calculator for statistics? - Jlouis - 08-26-2018 01:50 PM

(08-25-2018 07:17 AM)ijabbott Wrote:  Pretty much any modern graphing calculator still in production ought to be fine, e.g. HP Prime, TI Nspire CX, TI 84 plus CE, Casio PRIZM fx-CG-10/CG-20 or fx-CG50. They all have a good selection of statistical tests and graphical plot types. I quite the Casio fx-CG50 for its chunky, easy to read keys and display.

The HP Prime (like its predecessors) supports user-defined regression functions although that might not be as useful as it sounds as the function cannot have any unknown coefficients.

Thanks Ian

I do have the Prizm cg10, a wonderful calculator, I will have a look.

I don't have the real prime, but have the android emulator, may be an option, but I prefer a real keyboard.

RE: Best calculator for statistics? - Jlouis - 08-26-2018 01:55 PM

(08-26-2018 04:18 AM)Namir Wrote:  

Fantastic Namir, a big THANK YOU for making it available and for free!

I do have the 35S, will start playing with it tomorrow!

Cheers

RE: Best calculator for statistics? - Jlouis - 08-26-2018 02:01 PM

(08-26-2018 07:17 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  The WP 34S includes a decent amount of statistics.
Albeit only two variable plus a lot of distributions.

Pauli

Hi Paul, thanks to remind me of the WP34S.

I have one, although some keys is already malfunctioning.

I will give a try.

Cheers

RE: Best calculator for statistics? - Dave Britten - 08-26-2018 02:01 PM

(08-26-2018 01:50 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  Thanks Ian

In that case, I don't think you'll need to look much further. The 9860 and Prizms let you store a ton of data, have about 10 regression models, 9 plot types (plus regression plots), and will calculate density, cumulative, and inverse of normal, student's t, chi-square, F, binomial, Poisson, geometric, and hypergeometric distributions. Plus the spreadsheet, while extremely basic, makes it pretty easy to import and export CSV files, and you can do 1/2-variable stats, regressions, and plots directly within the spreadsheet, or import and export data as lists and matrices.

If you need much more than all that, you may just have to stick with Excel. Smile

RE: Best calculator for statistics? - Namir - 08-26-2018 02:02 PM

(08-26-2018 08:46 AM)Csaba Tizedes Wrote:  
(08-26-2018 04:18 AM)Namir Wrote:  And it's free! Click here to go to the HP-35s stat pac web page.

Just one question: All of them can be placed into the memory same time or must to retype what we actually needed (because the limitation of 26 labels)?!

Thanks,
Csaba

Each program needs to be loaded independently.

RE: Best calculator for statistics? - Tim Wessman - 08-26-2018 02:05 PM

10bII+ is the most (powerful/capability) per money spent calc HP has ever made. Also, I made it so there's that... Big Grin

RE: Best calculator for statistics? - Jlouis - 08-26-2018 02:07 PM

(08-26-2018 11:25 AM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  
(08-25-2018 03:05 AM)Jlouis Wrote:  What calculator do you think is best for use in statistics ? May be HP or not.

If I had to choose one from HP I would take an HP-95LX with built-in Lotus 1-2-3. Or one of it's successors. Non HP I would take my favorite calculator for everything, the Ti Voyage 200 (or a Ti 89). Either do the statistics in it's own spreadsheed (CellSheet they call it) or directly in the command line.

Hi Maximillian, I do have a Voyage 200 (and a 89 titanium, but it's more usable as a paper weight),

I didn't have considered it , thanks to remind me. One advantage of the Voyage 200 is the big screen and the easy connection to the PC, this is great! Thanks a lot.

Cheers

RE: Best calculator for statistics? - Jlouis - 08-26-2018 02:20 PM

(08-26-2018 02:01 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  
(08-26-2018 01:50 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  Thanks Ian

In that case, I don't think you'll need to look much further. The 9860 and Prizms let you store a ton of data, have about 10 regression models, 9 plot types (plus regression plots), and will calculate density, cumulative, and inverse of normal, student's t, chi-square, F, binomial, Poisson, geometric, and hypergeometric distributions. Plus the spreadsheet, while extremely basic, makes it pretty easy to import and export CSV files, and you can do 1/2-variable stats, regressions, and plots directly within the spreadsheet, or import and export data as lists and matrices.

If you need much more than all that, you may just have to stick with Excel. Smile

Hi Dave, thanks!

With that said, I will definitely use the Prizm. But I will allow myself to use the 41CV too, for just the pleasure of it!

Cheers

RE: Best calculator for statistics? - Jlouis - 08-26-2018 02:23 PM

(08-26-2018 11:42 AM)SlideRule Wrote:  A modest endorsement for the HP-21S STAT/MATH for basic-intermediate statistics & probability. Still quite reasonable prices for a very-good to excellent working model on various web sites.

BEST!
SlideRule

Hi SlideRule, thanks, the 21S is missing in my collection, so now I have a reason to grab one!

Cheers