HP Forums
HP 19BII battery door on back: how rare is it really? - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: HP 19BII battery door on back: how rare is it really? (/thread-10732.html)

HP 19BII battery door on back: how rare is it really? - jebem - 05-12-2018 06:26 AM

I couldn't find information about the production years for this later version using a battery door on the back cover.
I understand this later design fixed the flawed design used in all the previous clamshell models and versions, where the battery door is on the side.

Considering the extravagant high prices asked for these later version, I wonder if the production batches were very limited.
I have a chance to acquire one specimen is reasonable condition for around 40 Euros and this value seems quite low when compared to what TAS sellers are asking currently (and yes, I checked the TAS sold items as well).

RE: HP 19BII battery door on back: how rare is it really? - Massimo Gnerucci - 05-12-2018 08:25 AM

(05-12-2018 06:26 AM)jebem Wrote:  I have a chance to acquire one specimen is reasonable condition for around 40 Euros and this value seems quite low when compared to what TAS sellers are asking currently (and yes, I checked the TAS sold items as well).

Still thinking about it? :)
40€ for a 19Bii is always a good price, if in decent condition. If it has the back door I wouldn't have any doubt.

RE: HP 19BII battery door on back: how rare is it really? - jebem - 05-14-2018 11:22 AM

(05-12-2018 08:25 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
(05-12-2018 06:26 AM)jebem Wrote:  I have a chance to acquire one specimen is reasonable condition for around 40 Euros and this value seems quite low when compared to what TAS sellers are asking currently (and yes, I checked the TAS sold items as well).

Still thinking about it? Smile
40€ for a 19Bii is always a good price, if in decent condition. If it has the back door I wouldn't have any doubt.

Well, i will find out today when checking it. Last time tge seller had no batteries , so I'm taking a fresh set on 3 cells to test it.

RE: HP 19BII battery door on back: how rare is it really? - jebem - 05-15-2018 11:25 AM

I got the calculator after all.
Somehow the batteries didn't fit nicely inside the battery compartment. Later I found out why.

[Image: hp-19bii_front_0.jpgg] [Image: hp-19bii_back_door_0.jpg]

Late style "door on the back" battery door details.

[Image: hp-19bii_back_door_2.jpg] [Image: hp-19bii_back_door_1.jpg]

[Image: hp-19bii_back_door_3.jpg]

Details and some measurements on the fixing rods visible inside the battery compartment:

[Image: SAM_4310.JPG]

And here is the reason why the "N" battery cells didn't fit correctly inside the battery compartment.
I had to apply serious force to convince them to go inside.

As the original Japanese Panasonic cells that the seller had were totally depleted (0.9V), I had used some cheap supermarket Chinese OEM re-branded cells and these are bigger (longer) than the original ones.
I also have some recent Maxell Chinese cells that are identical to the Japanese original ones. You can compare the sizes below:

[Image: hp-19bii_battery_cells_0.jpg] [Image: hp-19bii_battery_cells_1.jpg]

RE: HP 19BII battery door on back: how rare is it really? - Massimo Gnerucci - 05-15-2018 11:40 AM

Well done Jose!

RE: HP 19BII battery door on back: how rare is it really? - jebem - 05-16-2018 03:30 PM

(05-15-2018 11:40 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Well done Jose!

Thanks, Massimo. The machine really looks like new and seems to be in fully working order. This sell was for the calculator alone (with the depleted original batteries).
The seller told me "it was used just once for the exam at the university", and then "the batteries were removed from the machine because I was told they can leak and destroy the calculator", and "it have been stored in a drawer for all these years".

From its serial number, I understand this calculator was made in Indonesia with a manufacturing date of July 2001 (week 29).

According to the Kees's site, the 19BII model was introduced in January 1990 and discontinued in September 2002.

I am interested in finding out when was this later variant released to the market.
I have got some pictures taken from Internet and the lowest serial number I could find so far is ID004 (year 2000 week 04).

As it is, the dates interval would be at least from January 2000 to September 2002, less than three years in production.

Anyone have one of these variants with a lower serial number, or else knows when was this later variant with the battery door on the backside introduced to the market?