HP Forums
d/dx in advanced graphing app - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: d/dx in advanced graphing app (/thread-10288.html)

d/dx in advanced graphing app - lrdheat - 03-07-2018 02:48 PM

I'm having difficulty entering d/dx equations into the advanced graphing app, even something as simple as d(sin (x))/dx

What is the proper syntax?

RE: d/dx in advanced graphing app - salvomic - 03-07-2018 02:52 PM

(03-07-2018 02:48 PM)lrdheat Wrote:  I'm having difficulty entering d/dx equations into the advanced graphing app, even something as simple as d(sin (x))/dx

What is the proper syntax?

I succeed here (iPhone): try to use the template -> C key to input the d/dx symbol.

Salvo

RE: d/dx in advanced graphing app - DrD - 03-07-2018 03:32 PM

These work:
[CAS]
∂(sin(x),x)
sin(x)'
diff(sin(x),x)

RE: d/dx in advanced graphing app - lrdheat - 03-10-2018 10:48 PM

Hesitation to come back to this discussion, but no success on iPad or hardware using any of these forms in advanced graphing app, and setting it equal to Y.

No matter what I do, a plot briefly shows of the entire screen filled in the color, followed by invalid object error.

RE: d/dx in advanced graphing app - lrdheat - 03-10-2018 10:54 PM

Actually, I get the error first, then solidly filled screen when I press escape. This with every variant...template of d/dx sin (x)=y, d(sin (x))/dx =y, (sin(x)',x)=y, and variants using dx=x.

I missing something here...

RE: d/dx in advanced graphing app - TheKaneB - 03-11-2018 12:40 AM

I also get the error. Tried both radians and degrees.

RE: d/dx in advanced graphing app - lrdheat - 03-11-2018 04:20 PM

This advanced graphing app question was prompted by another curiosity...in the regular graphing app, d(sin(x))/dx plots fine, but the function analysis choice of extremum finds no extremum on the graph.

Why does this function pose difficulties in both regular and advanced graphing apps?