HP Forums
Cleaning keyboards etc. - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Cleaning keyboards etc. (/thread-10222.html)

Cleaning keyboards etc. - markhen - 02-23-2018 12:34 AM

I know it's a much talked about subject already, but I recently discovered these "electronics wipes" are FANTASTIC for cleaning the steady stream of old calcs I can't seem to stop getting...

They appear to be very gentle, and the results from a few minutes of wiping keys, spaces between keys, housings etc. are remarkable! Not so good on the displays (smudges a bit - easily cleaned off), but great for everything else. No damage, even on some old calcs that looked fragile. They're also tougher than a tissue so no fibers left behind or stuck in the keys.

One auction HP-25 looked so terrible out of the box that I was afraid it would go to the bottom of the drawer, but after 10 minutes with a wipe it turned out to be one of the best in my collection (HP-25 #5? or #6 I think....).

Recommended!

Mark[attachment=5710]

RE: Cleaning keyboards etc. - Carsen - 02-23-2018 04:21 AM

Thanks Markhen! I didn't know this. It will be a great help in expanding my tiny collection.

RE: Cleaning keyboards etc. - AndiGer - 02-23-2018 08:44 PM

Did you try it on a 67?
My experience is that this is the most critical with the blue and golden lettering on the keyboard to get off.

RE: Cleaning keyboards etc. - markhen - 02-26-2018 05:28 AM

Yes, I recently acquired 2 more HP-67s (#4 and #5....) and successfully used these wipes to restore to "as new" condition!! No issues at all.

RE: Cleaning keyboards etc. - Harald - 02-26-2018 09:45 AM

(02-23-2018 12:34 AM)markhen Wrote:  I know it's a much talked about subject already, but I recently discovered these "electronics wipes" are FANTASTIC for cleaning the steady stream of old calcs I can't seem to stop getting...

They appear to be very gentle, and the results from a few minutes of wiping keys, spaces between keys, housings etc. are remarkable! Not so good on the displays (smudges a bit - easily cleaned off), but great for everything else. No damage, even on some old calcs that looked fragile. They're also tougher than a tissue so no fibers left behind or stuck in the keys.

One auction HP-25 looked so terrible out of the box that I was afraid it would go to the bottom of the drawer, but after 10 minutes with a wipe it turned out to be one of the best in my collection (HP-25 #5? or #6 I think....).

Recommended!

Mark

Hi Mark,

Could you have a look at which solvents the wipes contain? I had a look for those exact ones, found them, but shipping to Germany is extremely expensive. So I wonder if there are any equivalents that can be bought here.

Cheers,
Harald

RE: Cleaning keyboards etc. - toml_12953 - 02-26-2018 04:12 PM

(02-26-2018 09:45 AM)Harald Wrote:  Could you have a look at which solvents the wipes contain? I had a look for those exact ones, found them, but shipping to Germany is extremely expensive. So I wonder if there are any equivalents that can be bought here.

Cheers,
Harald

Here's a pic of the back of the package:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/101mq11lxswnpqb/Ingredients.JPG?raw=1

RE: Cleaning keyboards etc. - AndiGer - 02-26-2018 04:27 PM

Harald,
If you can find appropriate wipes let us know. As I also live in Germany
Thanks
Andi

RE: Cleaning keyboards etc. - acapde - 02-28-2018 01:36 AM

I have had good success using WD-40 to clean calculators and other gadgets.

RE: Cleaning keyboards etc. - Joe Horn - 02-28-2018 03:33 AM

(02-28-2018 01:36 AM)acapde Wrote:  I have had good success using WD-40 to clean calculators and other gadgets.

WHAT?!? Are you SERIOUS? Wouldn't WD-40 dissolve the printing on the land area around the keys, especially on the older models? <shudders in horror at the very notion> Please correct me if I'm wrong, but there is NO WAY that I'm going to try it to find out for myself. <shudders again>

RE: Cleaning keyboards etc. - larthurl - 02-28-2018 06:50 PM

(02-23-2018 12:34 AM)markhen Wrote:  I know it's a much talked about subject already, but I recently discovered these "electronics wipes" are FANTASTIC for cleaning the steady stream of old calcs I can't seem to stop getting...

Recommended!

Mark

thanks for the tip, Mark.

Where did you buy these?
Similar?

https://www.amazon.com/eCircuit-Electronic-Wipes-pack-Packs/dp/B077S6BHZH/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1519844177&sr=8-13&keywords=lingettes

.....Art

RE: Cleaning keyboards etc. - Dan Grelinger - 02-28-2018 07:11 PM

(02-28-2018 01:36 AM)acapde Wrote:  I have had good success using WD-40 to clean calculators and other gadgets.

The LG WM3770HWA does a fantastic job as well. Not only on the keyboard, but the whole unit is cleaned quite effectively by the procedure. And not just calculators, either. My wife and I have both applied this method to our Fitbit Ones, car remote controls, and USB Flash Drives. Without fail, everything comes out extremely clean.

The cat tried to get in on the action (and really could have used the cleaning), but we decided not to take this too far and therefore rescued her from the treatment.

RE: Cleaning keyboards etc. - Dan Grelinger - 02-28-2018 07:19 PM

After seeing this thread, I purchased some of these and have tried them. They work well, and are alcohol (and ammonia) free.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00740H87C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I may also try this version: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002864OOM/ref=psdc_10802561_t2_B00740H87C

RE: Cleaning keyboards etc. - acapde - 03-02-2018 03:13 AM

(02-28-2018 03:33 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  

WHAT?!? Are you SERIOUS? Wouldn't WD-40 dissolve the printing on the land area around the keys, especially on the older models? <shudders in horror at the very notion> Please correct me if I'm wrong, but there is NO WAY that I'm going to try it to find out for myself. <shudders again>

What I can say is that I haven't had any issue and I've been using it for quite some time.

RE: Cleaning keyboards etc. - acapde - 03-02-2018 03:22 AM

(02-28-2018 07:11 PM)Dan Grelinger Wrote:  

The LG WM3770HWA does a fantastic job as well. Not only on the keyboard, but the whole unit is cleaned quite effectively by the procedure. And not just calculators, either. My wife and I have both applied this method to our Fitbit Ones, car remote controls, and USB Flash Drives. Without fail, everything comes out extremely clean.

The cat tried to get in on the action (and really could have used the cleaning), but we decided not to take this too far and therefore rescued her from the treatment.

There's always a smart donkey around

RE: Cleaning keyboards etc. - jebem - 03-02-2018 07:16 AM

I am curious. I see several wd40 products on production. What exact type are you using on the calculators keyboards?

RE: Cleaning keyboards etc. - acapde - 03-04-2018 01:51 PM

(03-02-2018 07:16 AM)jebem Wrote:  

I am curious. I see several wd40 products on production. What exact type are you using on the calculators keyboards?

Hi, it's the most common one https://www.wd40.com/products/multi-use/aerosol/handy-can available at any hardware store in the US, not sure in other countries. Just spray a little bit on a piece of clean cloth. Wipe off the excess with a dry cloth or paper towel. The smell and oily finish go away in one day or so. Try on an old calculator or similar gadget that you don't care too much, however, as I said, I cleaned many gadgets and haven't seen any negative effect yet.

Best regards.

HPLX mail list members report WD-40 attacking plastic - striegel - 03-04-2018 10:08 PM

There were a couple of mentions on the HPLX mailing list where WD-40 was tried as a lubricant in the hinge for the top and found to attack the plastic, even in small amounts.

Daniel Hertrich's repair page says never to use it.

Alan

RE: Cleaning keyboards etc. - acapde - 03-05-2018 03:12 AM

(03-04-2018 10:08 PM)striegel Wrote:  
There were a couple of mentions on the HPLX mailing list where WD-40 was tried as a lubricant in the hinge for the top and found to attack the plastic, even in small amounts.

Daniel Hertrich's repair page says never to use it.

Alan

Hi Alan,

I just cleaned my HP200LX with WD-40 and took a picture (below), no problems except that is a bit shinier. By the way, my 200LX has the worst case material I ever seen in a handheld device, it cracks just sitting inside a drawer, in fact you can see that it's already cracked (top-right) and lost one of the hinge covers due to the same issue, this happened long ago, when it was still pretty "new".

I don't have any dirty HP calc but I was fixing a beaten TI89 with a lot of glue residues and cleaned it with WD-40. Much better after that (also picture below).

RE: Cleaning keyboards etc. - toml_12953 - 03-05-2018 04:03 AM

(03-04-2018 01:51 PM)acapde Wrote:  Try on an old calculator or similar gadget that you don't care too much, however, as I said, I cleaned many gadgets and haven't seen any negative effect yet.

I have. I tried it on a Rockwell slide rule calculator and it took the painted-on model number right off.