HP Forums
Let the Prime Increase your College Courses Grades - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Let the Prime Increase your College Courses Grades (/thread-10008.html)

Let the Prime Increase your College Courses Grades - lschroeder1947 - 01-24-2018 04:31 PM

This was then - calculator only - CD in back of textbook - no pretty input

[Image: bc_tool_guide.gif]

and this is now. - calculator anytime, everywhere - Tutorial anytime, everywhere - pretty input and output

HP Prime Guide Algebra Fundamentals

[Image: hp_guide_alg_fund_toc_1.gif]

The old TI-89 increased my students grade. I gave two part tests. One part, no calculator, and second part calculator allowed but not required. If they had the wrong answer, partial credit only given if you showed your work. Before the 89 no perfect scores, now 5 out of 30 students got perfect scores. Beside perfect scores almost every student passed with a C or higher with most getting a higher examine scores then they ever got in previous math classes. At first many older students hated the calculator, but by the end they were won over too. Students now loved math. The TI-89 allowed students to fulfill their college dreams. Many told me without the TI-89 they would not have made the math requirements to get a college degree.

I am now retired. I feel the HP Prime can do this even better, not just my previous students, but all college students world wide can get better grades. Being available as Free, Pro, Virtual, and handheld makes it available to all and being on their phone allows it always to be there. In the next couple of post I show how the HP Prime Guide works and how my prior students used the TI-89 and how the HP Prime can do the same or better.

RE: Let the Prime Increase your College Courses Grades - lschroeder1947 - 01-24-2018 04:32 PM

In the HP Prime Guide Algebra Fundamentals we first show how fractions work.

[Image: hp_guide_alg_fund.gif]

Next we extend this to rational (fractional) expressions.

[Image: hp_guide_alg_fund_cd.gif]

RE: Let the Prime Increase your College Courses Grades - lschroeder1947 - 01-24-2018 04:38 PM

TI-89 CD screen, from Chapter 6 Linear Programming.

[Image: bc_simplex.gif]

Here is the HP Prime technique for this page. Since the HP Prime Fee / Lite has no program editor, or HP connectivity kit I used CAS variables to add pivmat.

Copy the function pivmat to the CAS command line and press enter. (See the first screen)

pivmat(m,r,c):=
BEGIN
return pivot(SCALE(m,(1/m(r,c)),r),r,c);
END;

Note: pivmat needed Begin return End - HP Connectivity Kit crashed when Kit tried to display Pro/Virtual CAS Vars without Begin return End included.

[Image: simplex_dual.png]

RE: Let the Prime Increase your College Courses Grades - salvomic - 01-24-2018 04:39 PM

interesting, thank you!

Salvo

RE: Let the Prime Increase your College Courses Grades - lschroeder1947 - 01-24-2018 04:45 PM

(01-24-2018 04:39 PM)salvomic Wrote:  interesting, thank you!

Salvo

Thanks Salvo.

Here is TI-89 CD screen from Chapter 12 Calculus of Several Variables.

[Image: bc_derivatives.gif]

Here is the HP Prime technique for this page. Since the HP Prime Fee / Lite has no program editor, or HP connectivity kit I used CAS variables to add f, fx, and fy.

Enter the function, f, and partial derivatives, fx and fy, as shown in the top two screens.

Note: Unlike pivmat in the previous post, Begin return End were unnecessary and the HP Connectivity Kit did not crashed when Kit tried to display Pro/Virtual CAS Vars f, fx, and fy.

[Image: partial_derivative.png]

At the present time only the HP Prime Guide Algebra Fundamentals is available in eBook and Print. As demonstrated by this and previous posts in this thread, the HP Prime Free / Lite, Pro, Virtual and handheld is able to perform anything the TI-89 could do. With programming and Apps added, the HP Prime options are unlimited.

I am working on material for additional volumes. For now you can Google HP Prime and a topic for additional information. You can also see threads such as my thread on Xcas Youtube videos and thread on Math of Finance programs that also can provide you with some assistance.

RE: Let the Prime Increase your College Courses Grades - Wes Loewer - 01-26-2018 07:56 PM

(01-24-2018 04:31 PM)lschroeder1947 Wrote:  I feel the HP Prime can do this even better ...

A few weeks ago, I heard from a former high school student who is a big fan of the Prime. He's now in college and had just finished Linear Algebra. He told me that the Prime was proving very useful in the course, so much so that he felt obligated to check with the professor to make sure she was okay with him using it on tests. She said that calculators wouldn't help on the test, but then he showed her a few examples on the Prime. New course policy: No calculators on tests!

RE: Let the Prime Increase your College Courses Grades - StephenG1CMZ - 01-26-2018 08:08 PM

Hah! Sometimes it is better not to ask Smile