Your best deals
05-06-2018, 08:20 PM
RE: Your best deals
(05-06-2018 07:40 PM)Harald Wrote:  Was the 25 on ebay.de? I haven't looked fore a while...

Yes, ebay.de - from seller "Typenkorb" of whom I must have bought almost 100 calculators over the last 20 years. He once had a collection of over 3500 calculators (and a good website too) but for some reason decided to quit collecting.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2018, 10:30 PM
My HP-29c.

Offered by my grandfather in... 1983? I was 18.
Of course, as a paradox: priceless.
05-07-2018, 07:51 AM
(05-06-2018 10:30 PM)Archilog Wrote:  My HP-29c.

Offered by my grandfather in... 1983? I was 18.
Of course, as a paradox: priceless.

Ok, if those count:
My brothers 29C, he gave it to me I think in 1997. He was clearing out his desk and was about to throw it away. He didn't use it anymore as he bought a 32SII.
That was after he saw my 32S that my Dad bought for me in 1993 I think it must have been.
05-07-2018, 07:53 AM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2018 11:12 AM by franz.b.)
one year ago I bought a 50g for 75 €, now I was looking for another blue to play with newrpl but I do not find it, there are only blacks for at least 100 € Sad
I think I had a lot of luck and at that time there were also blue for sale at reasonable prices :'(

Hardware: Hp48S - Hp50g (5x black + 1 blue) - HP39gII - Hp27s - Casio fx-CG50
05-08-2018, 10:21 PM
Just this weekend there was an estate sale a block from our home. I found a great looking SR-59 with the Math&Utilities ROM and the PC-100A printer with the dust cover. Along with a load of other goodies (slide rule, lensatic compass, battery tester, etc.) the total was US$5.

The SR-59/PC-100A and slide rule and more are for the goodies table at HHC2018. Now I *have* to attend!
05-09-2018, 06:52 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2018 06:52 PM by badaze.)
(05-08-2018 10:21 PM)Jim Horn Wrote:  Just this weekend there was an estate sale a block from our home. I found a great looking SR-59 with the Math&Utilities ROM and the PC-100A printer with the dust cover. Along with a load of other goodies (slide rule, lensatic compass, battery tester, etc.) the total was US$5.

The SR-59/PC-100A and slide rule and more are for the goodies table at HHC2018. Now I *have* to attend!
TI 59 or TI SR 52 ?
Anyway good deal.

My site http://www.emmella.fr
05-09-2018, 07:16 PM
(05-09-2018 06:52 PM)badaze Wrote:  TI 59 or TI SR 52 ?
Anyway good deal.

Definitely :-) Unless the key to the printer is missing as with the Ti-59 / PC-100 combination that I bought some years ago, effectively turning that Ti-59 from a pocket calculator into a desktop calculator. Reminds me to get in contact with one of the best lockpickers worldwide (there are really championships for everything!) whom I happen to know from another passion we share to separate the two.
05-09-2018, 08:45 PM
It's at TI-59 (sorry for the lapse in memory). The battery pack is in the PC-100A's little storage / recharging spot. The batteries are many years long since dead and almost hidden behind the extensive vented crystals. The charger contacts are corroded and one is missing. The PC-100A key is there and works nicely (I can take scaled pictures of it if that will help you find/make one for yours). It powers up with the main LED lighting but otherwise the TI-59 doesn't appear to come on at all and the printer buttons do nothing. Putting the card into the card reader revealed that the reader's drive roller has reverted to gummy state.

Looks like a fine and straightforward restoration project. Not having ever had or used the TI line of machines, I'll pass it on to someone who would like it at HHC2018 (among other things).

Would my HP 20b, HP 39gII, Platinum Edition HP-12c and other HHC supplied machines qualify as best deals? Or my HP-41C which cost list price but I snagged the second day after they were introduced right before they became a 6 month lead time item?
05-09-2018, 09:51 PM
@Jim horn

You may try this. It worked a couple of time for me.

[Image: TTC_TI58001.jpg]

[Image: TTC_TI58003.jpg]

05-10-2018, 05:36 PM
Today a HP 40GS for 8€.

05-11-2018, 02:33 AM
(05-08-2018 10:21 PM)Jim Horn Wrote:  Just this weekend there was an estate sale a block from our home. I found a great looking SR-59 with the Math&Utilities ROM and the PC-100A printer with the dust cover. Along with a load of other goodies (slide rule, lensatic compass, battery tester, etc.) the total was US$5.

I will finally get to meet the famous (infamous?) Jim Horn!
05-11-2018, 02:40 AM
An HP-41CV with card reader, printer, Math and Stat modules for $37 plus around $13 shipping on TAS. The first-time seller only posted two blurry pictures as a Buy It Now, so I bought on the spot. What's to lose, right? Elation turned to worry when the seller said he found a way to save on shipping cost. Worry turned to horror when the postal deliverer gingerly laid a rattling tyvec bag on the front porch and fled.

There wasn't a single piece of the printer case larger than the palm of my hand, but no worry, the PCB and mechanics transferred successfully to the case of a printer I was trying to restore without much luck. With roller replaced, it worked fine. The card reader was left atop the 41 and knocked askew, affecting one of the latches. Removing the card reader was when I discovered the Math and Stat easter eggs. Card reader was also restored to operation after replacing its roller wheel.

Easily the best fifty bucks I ever spent. Since it was his first-ever transaction I didn't want to flame the seller about shipping, so I left the comment "Should have been packed with a little more padding."

Again, I repeat, best fifty bucks I ever spent Smile
~Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
05-11-2018, 04:14 AM
(05-11-2018 02:33 AM)jjohnson873 Wrote:  I will finally get to meet the famous (infamous?) Jim Horn!

Oh, believe me, you'll get to meet *far* more interesting folks than me, especially my younger brother, the Father (Hi, Joe!).
05-11-2018, 04:50 PM
Hi,

Perhaps this is slightly unrelated, but back around 1980, after having already owned an HP-67 and 41C, I happened to meet a guy who had an HP-65 for sale for $100. I had never owned one (because it was just too expensive when new) and thought I'd take him up on the offer, just to play with one for the first time. I had it for a week or so, getting a good bit of enjoyment from it, when someone else was passing through at my place of employment, who said that he had developed a whole bunch of programs for his HP-65 but it had been stolen and he was desperate to get a replacement. He indicated that he'd be happy to pay as much as $300. for one. It was a weird coincidence that I had one for the first time right at that moment. In any case, I felt bad for the guy and offered to sell mine for $150 and he jumped at the chance. I guess it turned out to be a "win-win", in that he got his needs satisfied for half of what he offered, and I ended up getting to play with the machine for a week and profited $50. in the process.

Jake
05-11-2018, 04:59 PM
(05-11-2018 04:50 PM)Jake Schwartz Wrote:  Perhaps this is slightly unrelated, but back around 1980, after having already owned an HP-67 and 41C, I happened to meet a guy who had an HP-65 for sale for $100. I had never owned one (because it was just too expensive when new) and thought I'd take him up on the offer, just to play with one for the first time. I had it for a week or so, getting a good bit of enjoyment from it, when someone else was passing through at my place of employment, who said that he had developed a whole bunch of programs for his HP-65 but it had been stolen and he was desperate to get a replacement. He indicated that he'd be happy to pay as much as $300. for one. It was a weird coincidence that I had one for the first time right at that moment. In any case, I felt bad for the guy and offered to sell mine for $150 and he jumped at the chance. I guess it turned out to be a "win-win", in that he got his needs satisfied for half of what he offered, and I ended up getting to play with the machine for a week and profited $50. in the process.

Jake,

Either you were:

a) A mensch, for not charging the 2nd guy $300, or

b) Crazy for letting-go such a great deal

Though it may take some time to decide, I'm initially inclined to go with both! Wink

But after owning and using a '67 and '41C, the '65 does seem quirky and limited, despite it's pivotal role in calculator history. And of course the Pokémon phenomenon about HP machines had not set in yet, so after some more sober thought, I'll stick with a).

Wonder if he still has his '65?

--Bob Prosperi
05-11-2018, 05:02 PM
(05-11-2018 04:59 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Wonder if he still has his '65?

If he does, I bet that card-reader drive wheel is a mess :-)
06-08-2018, 06:19 PM
2 or 3 weeks ago.
TI Voyage 200 for 5€.
[Image: TI_VOYAGE_200_20180520_001.jpg]

Last week 2 Brand new Casio Graph 95 (don’t know the international reference) for 10€ each.

[Image: CASIO_GRAPH95_20180603_001.jpg]

06-08-2018, 06:46 PM
(06-08-2018 06:19 PM)badaze Wrote:  2 or 3 weeks ago.
TI Voyage 200 for 5€.

Now, HP, look at this: no less than THREE ENTER KEYS !!!!111eleven!
And even a double-wide one. Big Grin

Dieter
06-08-2018, 07:01 PM
(06-08-2018 06:19 PM)badaze Wrote:  Last week 2 Brand new Casio Graph 95 (don’t know the international reference) for 10€ each.

Looks like what the rest of the world calls the fx-9860GII SD

Why is it that France always has different model names?
06-08-2018, 07:04 PM
(06-08-2018 06:46 PM)Dieter Wrote:  And even a double-wide one. Big Grin

And a double high one as well. With or without any number of Enter keys the Voyage 200 has a firm place in my top 5 favorite calculators. And for 5 Euros it's a sensational deal. My cheapest one cost a whooping 7 Euros...

Not my best deal perhaps but a very good one: Last week I received a small collection of Woodstocks for 30 Euros: a 21, a 22 and a 25 which were sold as defective. Two of them worked just fine when I put a charged battery in and the third one has corroded battery contacts so maybe cleaning them will resurrect him as well. I bought them as donors for Panamatik LP boards but it looks as I have to keep searching...

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)