Caveat Emptor
05-17-2018, 09:50 PM
Caveat Emptor
A recent conversation I had on ebay...

Item: "Hewlett Pakard 82104A Card Reader for HP-41C, HP-41CV, HP-41CX" (spelling as listed)
Description: "In good working condition"
Photo: Of a nice looking HP-41 Card Reader, model number sticker shows no sign of being removed, so either excellent repair or not repaired.

Question to Seller: "Hi, this is described in good working condition, when were the rubber drive wheels (the ones that decay in 10-15 years into a gummy mess) replaced?"

Seller's response: "I dont see any gummy drive wheels, its in good condition and looks like its been replaced."

Follow up Question to Seller: "Has a card been run through this unit to test it? Was there any residue from a 'gummy' drive wheel left on the card?"

Seller's response: "My friend is the one who tested it before, he didnt mention anything other than its working. Thats all,nothing mentioned about gummy stuff"

Follow up Message to Seller: "Great! If they had not been repaired, some buyer was going to be VERY unhappy. :-)"

Shortly after that message was sent, seller changed the description to: "No physical damage, no cracks that i can see. Im selling it AS IS UNTESTED"

It is too bad that we live in a world with other human beings who do not value honesty or their fellow human beings.

They have a 100% feedback rating, by the way...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-17-2018, 10:05 PM
RE: Caveat Emptor
(05-17-2018 09:50 PM)Dan Grelinger Wrote:  A recent conversation I had on ebay...

Item: "Hewlett Pakard 82104A Card Reader for HP-41C, HP-41CV, HP-41CX" (spelling as listed)
Description: "In good working condition"
Photo: Of a nice looking HP-41 Card Reader, model number sticker shows no sign of being removed, so either excellent repair or not repaired.

Question to Seller: "Hi, this is described in good working condition, when were the rubber drive wheels (the ones that decay in 10-15 years into a gummy mess) replaced?"

Seller's response: "I dont see any gummy drive wheels, its in good condition and looks like its been replaced."

Follow up Question to Seller: "Has a card been run through this unit to test it? Was there any residue from a 'gummy' drive wheel left on the card?"

Seller's response: "My friend is the one who tested it before, he didnt mention anything other than its working. Thats all,nothing mentioned about gummy stuff"

Follow up Message to Seller: "Great! If they had not been repaired, some buyer was going to be VERY unhappy. :-)"

Shortly after that message was sent, seller changed the description to: "No physical damage, no cracks that i can see. Im selling it AS IS UNTESTED"

It is too bad that we live in a world with other human beings who do not value honesty or their fellow human beings.

They have a 100% feedback rating, by the way...

At least this seller changed it; many don't even after similar discussions, or pointing out other defects, etc. And the best thing about a seller with 100% FB rating is they usually really, really want to keep it 100%, so you have leverage if they sell you a lemon, item doesn't meet description, etc.

If you even slightly suspect something may be off, always query the seller if he/she tested it personally to verify condition; later if something goes wrong, you can point out to eBay that you even took the time to verify condition, etc.

--Bob Prosperi
05-18-2018, 05:40 AM
I took delivery yesterday of a 50g from TAS. Turns out the seller had had the thing in the bottom of a draw for years, saw it, thought "I don't need that any more", listed it (as "used", not "for parts or not working") without even attempting to switch it on.

The battery compartment was such that you could just about see the batteries behind the corrosion.

I don't think there was any attempt to deceive there, it was a genuine mistake. The seller admitted as much and fully refunded me within minutes of me contacting him.

The corrosion is contained by the battery compartment, I think. The unit works fine on USB and the SD card slot works, so I'm going to have a go at cleaning it up but don't expect miracles.
05-18-2018, 09:50 AM
I recently ordered "Tripod spike Pack of three" with further details in the main body of the amazon ad specifically saying: "3 Spikes with washers"

The picture shows a tripod spike , a washer and an allen key..

You'd expect to get 3 spikes wouldn't you ?...........

The seller tried to argue that "Pack of Three" meant three items in the bag, namely a spike , a washer and an allen key.....

Refund please

So I ordered from Ebay (different supplier but same product) the same thing with slightly different wording , but clearly implying that I'd get three spikes .......

"Set of 3 - Long 8cm Tripod Monopod Spikes Nail with 3/8" Thread Universal"

I await challenging the seller when the one spike arrives....
05-18-2018, 10:56 AM (This post was last modified: 05-18-2018 11:00 AM by Dieter.)
(05-18-2018 09:50 AM)Zaphod Wrote:  I recently ordered "Tripod spike Pack of three" with further details in the main body of the amazon ad specifically saying: "3 Spikes with washers"

Sounds like Manfrotto. ;-)

If so, take a look at the order number, for instance 160SPK3. The 3 means that this is a set of three spikes. Most spikes are also available separately (one per pack, here 160SP1), so simply check the order number.

If it's a different manufacturer checking the order number may still be helpful.

Dieter
05-18-2018, 11:10 AM
(05-18-2018 10:56 AM)Dieter Wrote:  If so, take a look at the order number, for instance 160SPK3. The 3 means that this is a set of three spikes. Most spikes are also available separately (one per pack, here 160SP1), so simply check the order number.

If it's a different manufacturer checking the order number may still be helpful.

Dieter

No, it's a chinese supplier, so no ref numbers to check, it's their own spike

Quote:Sounds like Manfrotto.
The tripod however is Manfrotto's more expensive uncle (Gitzo), but I'm not paying Gitzo prices for spikes, these are great spikes but just they don't seem to 'get' that tripods have three legs and saying 'pack of three' might make the buyer think they're getting three !

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)