Samsung Galaxy S4
Android 7.1.2

CU
JSBach
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-28-2018, 03:33 PM
RE: Android Pro App still hangs
Can you and anyone seeing this possibly send a video from start to finish? We've yet to be able to observe the behavior. An unlisted YouTube vid, or some other way would be greatly appreciated.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
02-28-2018, 03:54 PM
Hi Tim, I just sent a link to a YouTube video to calcbeta .
03-14-2018, 09:57 AM
Dear Mr. Wessman,

did you and your colleagues find out sth. concerning this problem?

Will there be a new version soon?

Sincerely

JSBach
03-22-2018, 09:23 AM
The Free version works properly. HP will sell the real calculator. It is ok for me.
03-27-2018, 11:39 AM
Yes, the Lite Version seems to be working here too.

The problem seems to be in the additional functions.
03-27-2018, 05:49 PM (This post was last modified: 03-27-2018 05:50 PM by Tim Wessman.)
Wow, so just to understand you have hanging on the pro but not the free? That points at a simple build difference between them.

This has been proving ridiculously hard to track down... if this really is true then just a comparison between the build settings (which are supposed to be indentical) should be quite fruitful.

Didier?

TW

03-27-2018, 08:14 PM (This post was last modified: 03-27-2018 08:40 PM by Didier Lachieze.)
(03-27-2018 05:49 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Didier?

I never tried the Lite version as I was using the Pro version to develop programs. So I just installed the Lite version and looked for a way to freeze the Pro that I could try to reproduce with the Lite one. Of course programming was out, so I tried with Notes... and found a very easy way to freeze the Pro version on my Sony tablet with Android 6.0.1:
- Create a new Note
- Enter some text
- Wait a couple of minutes without any action
... and every time the Prime Pro is not responding anymore.

Trying this with the Lite version I was not able to reproduce the freeze.

I hope this will help you solving this very annoying issue on Android.

EDIT: it's even simpler to freeze the Pro version, just opening it and waiting a couple of minutes is enough.
03-28-2018, 01:33 AM
Tim, I experience the same failure after two or three minutes from starting the pro app. The app seems to be resetting itself as it is still running afterwards. What you were doing with the app beforehand seems to be irrelevant. The time until failure seems to be fairly constant, two or three minutes. Any changes made before it fails are lost. I've had a couple of "crashes" where I've sent the crash report with attached system logs. Perhaps getting those reports from Google may help.

~Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
03-28-2018, 09:18 AM
I remember that I had crashes when I tried to establish a network connection between the Prime app and the ConnKit a long time ago. Perhaps this is an idea to get rid of that, is your android wifi switched to always on? There is an Android setting: WLAN in Standby-mode, mine is always on.
I cannot reproduce those crashes, so perhaps the reason can be found here.
Arno
03-28-2018, 02:35 PM
That seemed like a promising idea. The Prime Pro hangs momentarily while trying to establish a network connection, then pops up a notice that a connection can't be established. After the notice, it starts normally but then resets itself after a couple of minutes. Lather, rinse, repeat... report submitted.

~Mark

03-28-2018, 05:03 PM
The behavior seems to be Android version dependent. The app consistently restarts on Android 6.0.1 (tablet) but shows no problem at all on Android 8.0.0 (phone).

03-28-2018, 05:22 PM
(03-28-2018 05:03 PM)mfleming Wrote:  The behavior seems to be Android version dependent. The app consistently restarts on Android 6.0.1 (tablet) but shows no problem at all on Android 8.0.0 (phone).

Thats it, I tried hard to make it crash and failed.
Arno
03-28-2018, 07:02 PM
(03-28-2018 09:18 AM)Arno K Wrote:  I remember that I had crashes when I tried to establish a network connection between the Prime app and the ConnKit a long time ago. Perhaps this is an idea to get rid of that, is your android wifi switched to always on? There is an Android setting: WLAN in Standby-mode, mine is always on.
Arno

On my tablet the WIFI in Standby-mode is already set to always on.
03-28-2018, 07:11 PM (This post was last modified: 03-28-2018 07:11 PM by pier4r.)
I have the prime pro 1.3.2.11586 on android and I find it a killer app (otherwise I wouldn't have bought it). Does this thread mean that unless I want to risk an freezing app, I should disable the updates?

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
03-28-2018, 08:13 PM
(03-28-2018 07:02 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  
(03-28-2018 09:18 AM)Arno K Wrote:  I remember that I had crashes when I tried to establish a network connection between the Prime app and the ConnKit a long time ago. Perhaps this is an idea to get rid of that, is your android wifi switched to always on? There is an Android setting: WLAN in Standby-mode, mine is always on.
Arno

On my tablet the WIFI in Standby-mode is already set to always on.
I forgot to write that here, even without any network connection, screen on time set to 10 minutes, I cannot reproduce these crashes.
Arno
03-28-2018, 08:38 PM
(03-28-2018 07:11 PM)pier4r Wrote:  I have the prime pro 1.3.2.11586 on android and I find it a killer app (otherwise I wouldn't have bought it). Does this thread mean that unless I want to risk an freezing app, I should disable the updates?

Nearly everyone seems to have no issues.

I'd make yourself a backup of the apk first to be safe if you can.

TW

03-31-2018, 04:32 PM
I'm facing the same hanging/resetting problems with the pro version 13443 on an old Android 6.01 tablet with just 1GB memory (450MB free). The crash almost always happens if I switch to another app and then come back to the Prime. It happens too if I stay on the app but less frequently.

The free version (13443) works fine on the same tablet. On my Android 7.0 phone with 3GB (500MB free), the pro version works without a single hiccup.

Digging a little more on the tablet logs, it seems before the crash occurs this pair of errors shows up several times:

13:15:59.908 art (31706)
Large object allocation failed: ashmem_create_region failed for 'large object space allocation': Too many open files

13:15:59.908 art (31706)
Throwing OutOfMemoryError "Failed to allocate a 47640 byte allocation with 12043348 free bytes and 366MB until OOM"

It seems weird it fails trying to allocate just about 47K when there are 12M free in the corresponding memory pool (and 366MB overall). Maybe this gives a clue to where the problem may be.
05-07-2018, 10:15 AM
Hi,

are the any news concerning the problem?
Will there be an update?
Can I test anything?

CU
JSBach
06-06-2018, 07:44 AM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2018 10:43 AM by peterhowells.)
Good day

Any news of an update addressing the above problems happening any time soon?
I have the latest version of HP Prime Pro (14443) on a Samsung S8 (32GB free storage) and although I have yet to experience a crash, the app resets itself and I lose all the data I have input. This morning I entered lots of data into the Statistics 2Var app for analysis. I then went out of the app to check my WhatsApp and when I opened up Prime Pro, it had reset and all my data was gone (data, notes, equations entered, even Name of the calculator in settings). The calculator gets completely reset!

This "resetting" can also be recreated quite easily on my phone. All I need to do now is to go out of the app and then back into it a few times and it eventually resets on the 3rd or 4th attempt at opening. This may point to a memory problem on the app.

Is it not possible to save all user data and settings to the phone and read them back when the app is opened.
Or alternately, give the user an option to backup all data to a folder on the phone that we can then restore from.
OK. I have figured out how to create a backup from the app and have tested that all the work is restored from that backup correctly. It is not a very elegant solution to have to backup each time before I exit the app but at least it prevents me losing any work.
Now to try to figure out a way to get the backup to happen automatically when I exit?

Hope that the app will be fixed soon.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)