pyILPER 1.6.0 and LIFUTILS 1.7.7 final release
11-28-2017, 06:37 PM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2017 08:40 AM by jsi.)
pyILPER 1.6.0 and LIFUTILS 1.7.7 final release
pyILPER 1.6.0 and LIFUTILS 1.7.7 were just released on GitHub.

This release of pyILPER includes lots of enhancements, improvements and changes, see the release notes for details.

pyILPER is available on the ANACONDA channel by now. A
Code:

conda update --all
should do the job. See the installation instructions for further details.

Windows users are strongly encouraged to do a reinstall of their Miniconda environment. Uninstall the old version first, download the most recent distribution of Miniconda (Python 3.6 version) for your 32/64 bit Windows. Run the installer and do not check the option to change the PATH environment variable. Proceed as documented in the installation instruction.

The LIFUTILS got considerable internal changes, an installer for mac OS and new utilities to process HP-41 rom images. An important fix was applied to the textlif utility that adds implementation bytes that are needed by the HP-41.

To use the LIFUTILS from pyILPER it is required to update to the 1.7.7. production version. See the installation instructions how to proceed.

Regards
Joachim
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-28-2017, 11:27 PM
RE: pyILPER 1.6.0 and LIFUTILS 1.7.7 final release
Got them and installed fine. Thanks!

smp
11-28-2017, 11:30 PM
(11-28-2017 06:37 PM)jsi Wrote:  To use the LIFUTILS from pyILPER it is required to update to the 1.7.7. production version. See the installation instructions how to proceed.

Thanks Joachim.

For Windows, after reading the various install pages, I take it this is the proper overall sequence:

1. Uninstall old LIFUTILS
2. Install new LIFUTILS (using appropriate x32 or x64 setup program)
3. Use the "conda update --all" method (I assume this is the same even if I have miniConda installed) to update pyILPER client to 1.6.0

Pretty simple, looking forward to checking it. Had no time to try Beta, so eager to see this.

Thanks again!

--Bob Prosperi
11-29-2017, 07:22 AM
(11-28-2017 11:30 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  1. Uninstall old LIFUTILS
2. Install new LIFUTILS (using appropriate x32 or x64 setup program)
3. Use the "conda update --all" method (I assume this is the same even if I have miniConda installed) to update pyILPER client to 1.6.0

That's absolutely correct. This procedure applies for the other platforms as well. Anaconda or miniConda make no difference in this case.
11-29-2017, 12:47 PM
(11-28-2017 06:37 PM)jsi Wrote:  pyILPER 1.6.0 and LIFUTILS 1.7.7 were just released on GitHub.

This release of pyILPER includes lots of enhancements, improvements and changes, see the release notes for details.

To use the new virtual HP82162A thermal printer add the device with the "Virtual HP-IL device configuration" in the file menu.

pyILPER is available on the ANACONDA channel by now. A
Code:

conda update --all
should do the job. See the installation instructions for further details.

The LIFUTILS got considerable internal changes, an installer for mac OS and new utilities to process HP-41 rom images. An important fix was applied to the textlif utility that adds implementation bytes that are needed by the HP-41.

To use the LIFUTILS from pyILPER it is required to update to the 1.7.7. production version. Please uninstall any older version first, select the appopriate installation package from the release page and install. See the installation instructions for details.

Regards
Joachim
12-01-2017, 05:40 AM
The HP82162A printer emulation is super cool! Now I can print my programs and then pass the output to my Postscript printer. Ha-ha, for the first time in 36 years of using the HP-41, I can finally get real printer output with the right look at home!

Thanks a million!

HÃ¥kan
12-02-2017, 07:20 PM
Joachim (or anyone that knows):

For some reason, I can't seem to update pyILPer. I'm running Win-7 Pro (x64).

I tried the "conda update --all" first. As it's been quite a while since I've updated, so conda selected many packages for update, which I approved. During the long (several minutes) update process the system displayed many (50-80?) warning messages, all the same:

Code:
WARNING conda.gateways.disk:exp_backoff_fn(47): Uncaught backoff with errno 41

but no actual errors, so once complete, I fired up ILPer only to see verison 1.4 was still installed and running.

So I tried to update just pyilper again, and had this surprising result:

Code:
C:\Users\Prosperi\pyilper>conda update pyilper
Fetching package metadata ...............
Solving package specifications: .

# All requested packages already installed.
# packages in environment at C:\Miniconda3:
#
pyilper                   1.4.0                    py35_0    bug400

Any ideas why conda doesn't see the update?

Should I run the update from a particular path?

The installation instructions say Windows users should start pyilper from an Anaconda prompt. Is this different from a normal cmd shell?

--Bob Prosperi
12-02-2017, 08:11 PM
Indeed you did not update for a long time ;-). As of version 1.5 pyILPER moved to Python 3.6 and QT5. If a
Code:

conda list
shows already a Python version 3.5 you must upgrade to 3.6:
Code:

conda install python=3.6
Since this will update every package in your Miniconda installation you may consider a clean new install of Miniconda instead.

Actual Miniconda Installers do not require to alter the Windows Path variable any more. Instead they install an Anaconda Promopt in the Windows start menu. If called it opens a console with the Miniconda environment set up properly.
12-02-2017, 08:16 PM
(12-02-2017 08:11 PM)jsi Wrote:  Since this will update every package in your Miniconda installation you may consider a clean new install of Miniconda instead.

Actual Miniconda Installers do not require to alter the Windows Path variable any more. Instead they install an Anaconda Promopt in the Windows start menu. If called it opens a console with the Miniconda environment set up properly.

I, too, experienced issues with the latest version of Anaconda and had to reinstall. Then I figured out that I only needed to install Miniconda. For some reason I thought I also needed to install Anaconda.

Dave
12-02-2017, 08:37 PM
(12-02-2017 08:16 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(12-02-2017 08:11 PM)jsi Wrote:  Since this will update every package in your Miniconda installation you may consider a clean new install of Miniconda instead.

I, too, experienced issues with the latest version of Anaconda and had to reinstall. Then I figured out that I only needed to install Miniconda. For some reason I thought I also needed to install Anaconda.

Dave

Thanks Dave. Ripping out old version now.... Will holler when done.

--Bob Prosperi
12-02-2017, 08:41 PM
(12-02-2017 08:37 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(12-02-2017 08:16 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  I, too, experienced issues with the latest version of Anaconda and had to reinstall. Then I figured out that I only needed to install Miniconda. For some reason I thought I also needed to install Anaconda.

Dave

Thanks Dave. Ripping out old version now.... Will holler when done.

You can create a shortcut to C:\Users\Me\Miniconda3\Scripts\pyilper.exe, change the Run behavior to Minimized, and have a quick method of launching the program, rather than using the Anaconda prompt.
12-02-2017, 09:20 PM
(12-02-2017 08:41 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  You can create a shortcut to C:\Users\Me\Miniconda3\Scripts\pyilper.exe, change the Run behavior to Minimized, and have a quick method of launching the program, rather than using the Anaconda prompt.

Great advice, upgrading to latest Miniconda (ripped out old, installed fresh) resolved it, everything is working.

And this hint is perfectly timed, as my next task was precisely to find out how to do exactly this. I guess this somehow resolves all the needed environment settings wired into the Anaconda prompt?

Thanks again!

Oh, and Joachim - Excellent!! Excellent!! Excellent!!

--Bob Prosperi
12-02-2017, 11:03 PM
(12-02-2017 09:20 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  I guess this somehow resolves all the needed environment settings wired into the Anaconda prompt?

Oh, and Joachim - Excellent!! Excellent!! Excellent!!

To be honest, I've always run pyILPER from the Windows Command Prompt without issue. It wasn't until recently that I learned of the Anaconda Prompt.

Joachim?
12-02-2017, 11:19 PM
(12-02-2017 11:03 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  To be honest, I've always run pyILPER from the Windows Command Prompt without issue. It wasn't until recently that I learned of the Anaconda Prompt.

I'd guess that they created the Anaconda Prompt as a way to locally provide that task with all the proper paths and environment settings without having to 'dirty' the Windows global settings, as they can affect how other apps behave (which of course they shouldn't, but this is Windows). Also, on most managed domains, a user doesn't have the rights to make such changes, so this local approach solves that too.

Anyhow, your suggestion works fine and I've got it set up, from a user's perspective, just the way it was and the way I like it (no need to have to interact with a manual command prompt).

Thanks again, very timely replies made the whole thing quick and easy.

--Bob Prosperi
12-03-2017, 10:13 AM
Thank you for feedback. I updated the first post and added some additional information in the pyILPER Installation instructions concerning the difference between Anaconda and Miniconda.
02-04-2018, 05:38 AM
One of the new features of 1.6.0 is being able to copy from the printer window to the clipboard.

It seems that the text selected begins on the line above the cursor, not the line where the cursor is positioned. I also observed that the screen doesn't scroll when attempting to select text beyond what's displayed.

Dave
02-04-2018, 12:11 PM
Hi Dave,
(02-04-2018 05:38 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  It seems that the text selected begins on the line above the cursor, not the line where the cursor is positioned.
in the upcoming version 1.7.0 of pyILPER which is due for beta release there are among other interesting features a lot of fixes of the selection feature. I just added a threshold to make the row selection behave less strict.

I'd be very happy if you could test the latest commit of pyILPER on GitHub. See the "Installation of development versions" section of pyILPER installation instructions.

Regards
Joachim
02-04-2018, 12:13 PM
Hi Geir,
(02-04-2018 11:28 AM)Geir Isene Wrote:  There seems to be an issue with printing synthetic alpha strings. I have not yet had a synthetic string printed via PRP that is correct.
did you test it with the thermal printer device and the PDF output?
Regards
Joachim
02-04-2018, 05:15 PM
(02-04-2018 12:11 PM)jsi Wrote:  Hi Dave,
(02-04-2018 05:38 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  It seems that the text selected begins on the line above the cursor, not the line where the cursor is positioned.
in the upcoming version 1.7.0 of pyILPER which is due for beta release there are among other interesting features a lot of fixes of the selection feature. I just added a threshold to make the row selection behave less strict.

I'd be very happy if you could test the latest commit of pyILPER on GitHub. See the "Installation of development versions" section of pyILPER installation instructions.

Regards
Joachim

Joachim,

The selection works nicely, now, and the selection scrolls past the bottom of the screen. Thanks.

The scrolling, however, is rather slow. Is there a hot-key that can be pressed to select to the end of screen?

Dave
02-04-2018, 05:59 PM
Hi Dave,
(02-04-2018 05:15 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  The scrolling, however, is rather slow. Is there a hot-key that can be pressed to select to the end of screen?
You can use the mouse wheel for fast scrolling while the selection is active. There is not hot-key at the moment.
Regards
Joachim

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)