HP-15C what books were in the original box?
12-18-2017, 04:24 AM
HP-15C what books were in the original box?
Were both the HP-15C Owner's Handbook and the HP-15C Advanced Functions Handbook always included in the box with the HP-15C? I recently came across spiral bound versions of these books and realized that if my original HP-15C came with the Advanced Functions Handbook, I no longer have it, or more likely don't know where it is. I do have the non-spiral bound Owner's Handbook. I purchased that 15C in 1985. So do I need to search high and low for a non-spiral bound HP-15C Advanced Functions Handbook?

Try CC41!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-2017, 04:47 AM
RE: HP-15C what books were in the original box?
(12-18-2017 04:24 AM)Craig Bladow Wrote:  Were both the HP-15C Owner's Handbook and the HP-15C Advanced Functions Handbook always included in the box with the HP-15C? I recently came across spiral bound versions of these books and realized that if my original HP-15C came with the Advanced Functions Handbook, I no longer have it, or more likely don't know where it is. I do have the non-spiral bound Owner's Handbook. I purchased that 15C in 1985. So do I need to search high and low for a non-spiral bound HP-15C Advanced Functions Handbook?

I have a Swedish HP-15C in box, and in the manual it is stated the the "Advanced Functions Handbook" can be bought extra, and it is in English (the Owner's Handbook is translated to Swedish). This is stated at the end of the introduction, so it was not always included in other markets at least. That particular machine was made in Brazil in 1985, the manual is from 1983 and non-spiral bound.

Håkan
12-18-2017, 02:01 PM
I (vaguely) remember buying the "Advanced Functions Handbook" as a separate item back in 1983(?).
12-18-2017, 02:56 PM
(12-18-2017 04:24 AM)Craig Bladow Wrote:  Were both the HP-15C Owner's Handbook and the HP-15C Advanced Functions Handbook always included in the box with the HP-15C?

I am not certain that the AFH was never in the box, but I have 2 HP-15C boxes that it was not included in, and the other boxes that I've seem appear to be the same size as mine which seem like would not have room for both manuals.

Also, the AFH was definitely sold as an HP Solutions Book title, and I'm not aware of any HP Solutions books that were marketed and sold separately, that were also included in the box.

So, likely it was never included, but can't say for certain.

--Bob Prosperi
12-18-2017, 06:06 PM
(12-18-2017 02:56 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  I am not certain that the AFH was never in the box, but I have 2 HP-15C boxes that it was not included in, and the other boxes that I've seem appear to be the same size as mine which seem like would not have room for both manuals.

What about a look at the 15C manual? I got a a scanned version printed in 1987 ("Edition 1") where the last paragraph of the introduction says:

Quote:Also available from Hewlett-Packard dealers is the HP-15C Advanced Functions Handbook, which provides applications and technical descriptions for the root-solving, integration, complex number, and matrix functions.

So it looks like the AFH was sold separately.

Dieter
12-19-2017, 01:05 AM
(12-18-2017 06:06 PM)Dieter Wrote:  What about a look at the 15C manual? I got a a scanned version printed in 1987 ("Edition 1") where the last paragraph of the introduction says:

Quote:Also available from Hewlett-Packard dealers is the HP-15C Advanced Functions Handbook, which provides applications and technical descriptions for the root-solving, integration, complex number, and matrix functions.

So it looks like the AFH was sold separately.

Dieter

Thanks Dieter! There it is on page 3 of of the Owner's Handbook

Try CC41!
12-19-2017, 01:30 AM
(12-18-2017 02:56 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Also, the AFH was definitely sold as an HP Solutions Book title, and I'm not aware of any HP Solutions books that were marketed and sold separately, that were also included in the box.

Robert is right,
The AFH was never included with the HP-15C, you had to buy it separately.
Sylvain
12-23-2017, 09:13 PM
(12-19-2017 01:30 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(12-18-2017 02:56 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Also, the AFH was definitely sold as an HP Solutions Book title, and I'm not aware of any HP Solutions books that were marketed and sold separately, that were also included in the box.

Robert is right,
Sylvain

Hey, not all true!

I bought my 15c in 1988, here in Brazil, and it came with both books!
12-24-2017, 12:25 AM
(12-23-2017 09:13 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  
(12-19-2017 01:30 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  Robert is right,
Sylvain
Hey, not all true!
I bought my 15c in 1988, here in Brazil, and it came with both books!
You are right, I should not have said an absolute statement like I did.
I was the buyer, as a 2nd job, for a big HP calculator dealer in Montreal/Quebec/Canada for the 1981-1989 period.
Except for maybe a short-time special from HP (although I do not remember it), it was never bundled here.
Sylvain

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)