HP-32E Advanced Scientific Calculator - my first Spice machine
11-17-2016, 08:43 AM (This post was last modified: 11-17-2016 08:45 AM by jebem.)
RE: HP-32E Advanced Scientific Calculator - my first Spice machine
(11-16-2016 10:10 PM)Dieter Wrote:  Let's say: the late Eighties. Around that time (1990) the first NiMH batteries became available. At that time – in regular AA size – with capacities between 900 and 1200 mAh, which was 1,5...2x the usual NiCd rating.

Thanks for the corrections, Dieter.
For correctness of the documentation, I have updated the incorrect post above mentioning that 700mAh AA batteries were not available at the time.

(Edited to add the link).

Cheers,
Jose

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2017, 01:25 PM
(11-12-2016 11:02 PM)jebem Wrote:  Just for fun, tried to get SQRT(-2). Got an Error 0.

[Image: HP-32E_041.jpg]

And again the self test passing with flying colors.

[Image: HP-32E_042.jpg] [Image: HP-32E_043.jpg]

The AC battery charger i got with this machine has the p/n 82090B.
The battery that came with this machine has the p/n 1420-0313, Made in Japan
(Edited to correct the part number. Originally typed as 1420-0813, but closer inspection of the battery pack label gives me the impression that the correct digit is "3" and not a "8".)

[Image: HP-32E_045.jpg]
[Image: HP-32E_046.jpg]

For those ones who, like me, never saw it before, here is the self test procedure in a video.
The ROM checkum and RAM ability to write and read is covered during the self test. Deed dive from guru Eric Smith ( brouhaha) here.

Hello Jose , thank you for your sharing of information ; I need a rechargeable battery pack for my 32E (same as yours 1420-0313 ; the calculator does not work off the main 220v anymore ; the display while trying to charge is floating and goes off then on and does not make sense ;where can I send it for repair ? I am very fond of this calculator because i did my university entire Bsc in statistics using it ; the function for the normal distribution Q and Q-1 was remarkable at the time not having to go to the book tables ; I see that you managed to fix yours ; great job!
12-10-2017, 05:18 PM
jebem thanks for sharing your work about disassembling and assembling whathever type of calculator. Over time this type of information become really valuable!

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
12-10-2017, 07:55 PM
(12-10-2017 01:25 PM)jayefe Wrote:  Hello Jose , thank you for your sharing of information ; I need a rechargeable battery pack for my 32E (same as yours 1420-0313 ; the calculator does not work off the main 220v anymore ; the display while trying to charge is floating and goes off then on and does not make sense ;where can I send it for repair ? I am very fond of this calculator because i did my university entire Bsc in statistics using it ; the function for the normal distribution Q and Q-1 was remarkable at the time not having to go to the book tables ; I see that you managed to fix yours ; great job!

jayefe; while you're waiting for an answer, please NEVER power any spice series calculator without both a good battery pack and clean contacts. That is how many of them have had their proprietary and irreplaceable ROM fried. I also use a dab of GB Ox-guard on said contacts too, but that may just be the electrical version of throwing salt over my shoulder. It's just a good idea to never connect that calculator to it's charger, and charge batteries outside of the unit. Some people who's spice series calc have broken contacts anyway simply use anakline cells. Yes; they are rated at 0.25 volt higher but I've never heard of that blowing one up. In line with my throwing of salt methodology; I personally use alkalines which have had a bit of use already in a flashlight or something.
12-10-2017, 11:10 PM
(12-10-2017 01:25 PM)jayefe Wrote:  Hello Jose , thank you for your sharing of information ; I need a rechargeable battery pack for my 32E (same as yours 1420-0313 ; the calculator does not work off the main 220v anymore ; the display while trying to charge is floating and goes off then on and does not make sense ;where can I send it for repair ? I am very fond of this calculator because i did my university entire Bsc in statistics using it ; the function for the normal distribution Q and Q-1 was remarkable at the time not having to go to the book tables ; I see that you managed to fix yours ; great job!

Hi,
I believe you have the missing information to allow you to fix the calculator.
I think that a good electronics repair shop can fix it in South Africa, saving you time.
I'm afraid i'm not in the repair business and my spare time is on the short side right now.
However you may contact aj04062 member here in this forum if you prefer ti have it repaired professionally.
Cheers,
Jose

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)