Collection of HHC programming contests and other useful documents
11-28-2017, 07:35 PM (This post was last modified: 11-28-2017 07:36 PM by pier4r.)
RE: Collection of HHC programming contests and other useful documents
So at the moment I have a US and Czech client downloading.

I don't think there are problems for what I can see. One thing though. There is a "combo" of problems at 2.30 and 8.00 AM (Berlin time).

At 2.30 my ISP changes my IP, this means that for around 30 minute the torrent network has my old IP address.

This means that I "vanish" from the network every day around 6.30 PM in New York and 4.30 or 2.30 PM on the West coast. (I don't exactly remember if it is -4 or -2 from New York)

Around 8.00 AM (Berlin) my homelab gateway restarts, but in this case there should be way less problems, round about 5-10 minutes are needed for the client to be well connected as before and the IP does not change.

Plus today (28 Nov) my ISP changed my IP quite some times (I guess they made some mistakes).

At 2.30 AM, at 4.30 and 6.30

So I vanished from the torrent network multiple times.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-28-2017, 11:10 PM
(11-28-2017 05:41 PM)pier4r Wrote:  any progress in the meanwhile? Like do you at least see a source? My qBittorrent says that there are even 3 other sources other than me.

I restarted the client this morning and download re-started. It's been chugging away much of the day and just completed a few minutes ago. I will leave my client connected and seeding until tomorrow to help other folks.

I saw 1 US, 1 German and 1 Czech user, same as Mark.

I've no idea why it stopped yesterday but continues today, but it all seems good now. Probably the issue was the changing IP address. (why does your ISP change IP addresses so often? I've had the same one for nearly a year)

Thanks to both of you for feedback.

--Bob Prosperi
11-29-2017, 04:22 AM (This post was last modified: 11-30-2017 04:59 AM by Craig Bladow.)
By the process of elimination I can tell you that the US client is a Raspberry Pi 3 model B! Smile

The upload speed is limited and shared with some other torrents such as the HP41-DVD so your us-bits-per-second will vary.

Try CC41!
11-29-2017, 10:51 AM
(11-28-2017 11:10 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  I saw 1 US, 1 German and 1 Czech user, same as Mark.

I've no idea why it stopped yesterday but continues today, but it all seems good now. Probably the issue was the changing IP address. (why does your ISP change IP addresses so often? I've had the same one for nearly a year)

Thanks to both of you for feedback.

You're welcome. Such feedback is crucial for p2p connections because otherwise one has no ideas.

The German client should be me, the IP should mostly be 77.xxx (sometimes is 87.xxx) if I am not mistaken.

I leave the torrent app always open since I started to share the HP41 dvd and the torrents mentioned here, 24/7 . So it is like 70 days or more now.

What I cannot really trust, I think, is the report from qBittorrent about the torrent sources. In this moment qBittorrent says that there are in total 8 seeds, so 7 more excluded me, but I am not sure whether this is true or not. This because I am not directly connected to those seeds, therefore the value it is like an estimate.

For the ISP changing ip address, this is due to home users and NAT. So some IPs have a certain amount of public addresses and rotate them between the clients through "lease expiration" . It is easier to manage things in this way.

It is like using DHCP at home.

Some other connections, that are more costly, have a fixed IP until the router restarts, but that is the exception, at least in Europe.

out of 4 billion Ipv4, US has 1.5 billions, so maybe the providers there can afford to lease IPs in a more sticky way.

Instead there are providers, for example mobile providers, that use one public IP address for hundreds of clients at once. So it gets even worse in that case.

One last note. At the moment I shared the last hp calc torrent for 63% of its size, so it is obvious that other seeds helped me to let people complete the torrent saving my bandwidth (and this is the strength of p2p and torrent. For this I would like to see digital collections shared via torrent).

12-03-2017, 01:49 PM
I recently downloaded the archive attempt of jebem collecting the site of jacques laporte. (not yet included in the collection)

Is his site active again?
http://www.jacques-laporte.org/

12-04-2017, 02:16 AM
(12-03-2017 01:49 PM)pier4r Wrote:  I recently downloaded the archive attempt of jebem collecting the site of jacques laporte. (not yet included in the collection)

Is his site active again?
http://www.jacques-laporte.org/

It was available from filedropper.

http://hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-3664-po...l#pid33702

But that file appears to be gone so you can download it here.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qDAT92...MH-UAPoQXr

Dave
12-07-2017, 08:48 PM
Thanks dave.

Now thanks to a norvegian (or at least qBittorrent says so) client I am pretty sure that the alleged "17 sources" of the hp calc are just wild estimates. This because this poor peer is downloading from me very slowly (because he disconnects every now and then).

So I can wait until the weekend then I would like to release a new version of the torrent that will add some 30-40 mb of documents.

12-08-2017, 09:46 PM
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:7d6d4d9049dd2ee4bc3aa52459f0fecabf07a253&dn=hp_calc_torrent

as usual see the first post for more info and .torrent files.

Code:

- 2017-12-08
  . added
    - different manuals found around the web following links in discussions on the
      MoHPC.
    - some documents about table of logarithms having read the topic
      http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-5907.html
      (there are many others, try: site:hpmuseum.org logarithm square root
      if not better searches!)
    - an attempt by jebem to download the site of jacques laporte.
  . refactored
    - adjusted some folders to predict possible future needs according to the
      survey http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-9594.html
- 2017-11-27
  . added
    - jaques laporte website download by jebem.
      http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-7292.html
- 2017-11-25
  . added
    - 39gs documents
    - zipped archive that contains programs mentioned in a book of HP wickes
      that was distributed with a floppy disk with the book.
      "I just picked a nice copy of the Bill Wickes book "HP 41/HP 48 Transitions." 
      When the book was published, you could write the publisher to get 
      a floppy disc with all of the book's programs on it."
    - some documents by Valentin Albillo.
      see http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-9090-post-84103.html#pid84103

12-08-2017, 11:29 PM
(12-08-2017 09:46 PM)pier4r Wrote:  magnet:?xt=urn:btih:7d6d4d9049dd2ee4bc3aa52459f0fecabf07a253&dn=hp_calc_torrent

as usual see the first post for more info and .torrent files.

Code:

- 2017-12-08
  . added
      MoHPC.
      if not better searches!)
  . refactored
- 2017-11-27
  . added
    - jaques laporte website download by jebem.
      http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-7292.html
- 2017-11-25
  . added
    - 39gs documents
    - zipped archive that contains programs mentioned in a book of HP wickes
      that was distributed with a floppy disk with the book.
      "I just picked a nice copy of the Bill Wickes book "HP 41/HP 48 Transitions." 
      When the book was published, you could write the publisher to get 
      a floppy disc with all of the book's programs on it."
    - some documents by Valentin Albillo.
      see http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-9090-post-84103.html#pid84103

As you have reorganized some folders, how will this affect downloading this new version "on top of" the prior up-to-date version? I presume the folders will be duplicated, old copies w/contents where they were before, and another copy where they are now located, with all the material in those folders having to be downloaded again?

Thanks for continuing to update the collection pier4r.

--Bob Prosperi
12-08-2017, 11:39 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2017 11:39 PM by pier4r.)
(12-08-2017 11:29 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  As you have reorganized some folders, how will this affect downloading this new version "on top of" the prior up-to-date version? I presume the folders will be duplicated, old copies w/contents where they were before, and another copy where they are now located, with all the material in those folders having to be downloaded again?

Thanks for continuing to update the collection pier4r.

Unfortunately yes. Torrent is not able to recognize that the files are the same (I think, actually through md5 it could be able to do it, like emule does it).

My tip is always the same: download the metadata, stop the torrent, check the files you want to collect, start the torrent and pick only the files you need.

Also: leave the torrent running if possible, otherwise the idea of "p2p reliance" is gone.

@about the "thanks". You're welcome. What I realized with this and other topics is that also here (as many other communities) people are skeptic and one has to go through the skepticism alone to then finally be able to let the others see a bit of the utility of the idea. Not that I claim that a person (me in this case) has always somewhat useful ideas, rather I claim that some may not that bad and could be better not to discard them too soon.

Still I miss input from the community about what to include but thanks to other discussions and links, slowly I am finding what to include thanks to the threads developed by this community.

12-09-2017, 02:15 AM
(12-08-2017 11:39 PM)pier4r Wrote:  Unfortunately yes. Torrent is not able to recognize that the files are the same (I think, actually through md5 it could be able to do it, like emule does it).

This is why, for all the torrents on my web site, they are rarely changed, to ensure that someone who has downloaded them once can continue to seed them for a while.

Of the ones there now, I don't intend to change them anytime soon, and in the coming month I intend to add some more, which will change occasionally but not very often.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-09-2017, 04:15 AM
(12-08-2017 11:39 PM)pier4r Wrote:  Unfortunately yes. Torrent is not able to recognize that the files are the same (I think, actually through md5 it could be able to do it, like emule does it).

My tip is always the same: download the metadata, stop the torrent, check the files you want to collect, start the torrent and pick only the files you need.

Thanks for confirming.

For this reason, I suggest you not change the structure in the future. Even if it could be made more logical, the need to re-download all that data defeats one of the very core reasons for using torrents, and also complicates the seeding process.

Also, can you please share a summary of what has changed so we can modify the final set of files once this new configuration has been downloaded. It will be difficult to manually hunt the folder tree to find all the items that may have been moved.

--Bob Prosperi
12-10-2017, 11:19 AM
(12-09-2017 02:15 AM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  This is why, for all the torrents on my web site, they are rarely changed, to ensure that someone who has downloaded them once can continue to seed them for a while.

(12-09-2017 04:15 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  For this reason, I suggest you not change the structure in the future.

Good points. I was actually thinking it was not a big problem but well, it seems I am wrong. I will think about a possible solution.

12-13-2017, 09:08 PM (This post was last modified: 12-13-2017 09:16 PM by pier4r.)
For the problem of the updates, checking also how the files in the MoHPC usb drive are organized, for the moment I will do so:

main release (the one currently release).
Updates: one every month. For example hp_calc_torrent_vX_uY (versionX, where X is date, and update Y, where Y can be actually year_month)

After 6 months, merge and new main release. So the number of different torrents does not grow much (max 7 torrents if I will be disciplined) and the risk of losing contents due to too slow releases (while the online document disappear) is limited. Also the number of different folders that one has to keep on the HD does not explode (me in this case).

Plus one may play with the folder older in the updates (with empty folders) to then merge it at the moment of the new release.

12-26-2017, 11:22 AM (This post was last modified: 12-26-2017 11:22 AM by pier4r.)
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:1cd4bfa8076d2f0b5f2c3bbcecdbcbfdcb51f9df&dn=hp_calc_torrent_u201712

This is only the update for december 201712 (80 mb more or less). More info in the first post.

Code:

- 2017-12-26
  . added
    - as response from feedback in the forum discussion here:
      http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-9090.html
      I decided to make updates to the main torrent file and then after some
      months (around 6) do a large merge and refactoring of the main folder.
      This because after each refactor many people don't have time to
      make a diff of the files and so they end up downloading again a lot
      of files that they already have.
    - some hp prime documentation and files.
    - some documents found in discussions on the MoHPC.
- 2017-12-13
  . notes
    - interesting search string: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-3510.html
- 2017-12-08
  . added
      MoHPC.
      if not better searches!)
  . refactored

01-25-2018, 09:36 PM
I may be able to release the update 201801 this weekend, I am not sure.

Of course suggestion about what to include are welcomed.

In the meanwhile I use the opportunity to as Eric Rechlin of hpcalc.org whether his torrents are somehow near completion.

He estimated to be able to release a first one in Q1 2018 if I remember correctly. I am still excited at the idea because redundancy is needed to hope for the survival of all the contributions.

01-26-2018, 04:11 PM
(01-25-2018 09:36 PM)pier4r Wrote:  He estimated to be able to release a first one in Q1 2018 if I remember correctly. I am still excited at the idea because redundancy is needed to hope for the survival of all the contributions.

I guess you haven't been watching my web site, because I already did this several weeks ago. There has been very little interest, however; I think only about 5 people have downloaded any of the new ones yet.

https://www.hpcalc.org/torrents/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-26-2018, 07:33 PM
Hi,

First of all, *MANY* thanks to Eric for providing this material. I downloaded all the torrents several weeks ago and it's well worth it!

But, I think a lot of people are totally unaware of these new torrents, because they are somewhat "hidden" on the page. It might be a good idea to mention them in the "Newest Additions" section or to make an announcement here in the forum.
01-26-2018, 08:04 PM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2018 08:09 PM by pier4r.)
(01-26-2018 04:11 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  I guess you haven't been watching my web site, because I already did this several weeks ago. There has been very little interest, however; I think only about 5 people have downloaded any of the new ones yet.

https://www.hpcalc.org/torrents/

Well yes, without "ads" (in this case, an update to the community) it is not that immediate to notice changes unless one monitors a site often.

Anyway awesome, the interest in this type of community is surely slow (especially with no updates), but I am going to share it as well.

Good that I asked and you replied. Surely there will be more activity. Awesome work again!

01-29-2018, 08:27 PM
new update: 201801.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:41ef2d9200623b43d4ceebc86a9c30ed30f783c2&dn=hp_calc_torrent_u201801

The rest of the files are mentioned in the first post of this thread.

Changelog
Code:

- 2018-01-29
  u201801
  - added
    . some books mentioned in forum threads.
    . a document about the 35s
    . documents and files about the hp prime.
  - notes
    . the amazing eric released a lot of super worthwile data in p2p format! 
      About hpcalc.org and discussion forums.
      I wish every community (for example casio/ti) would do the same!
      check them here! https://www.hpcalc.org/torrents/
    . no progress in collecting quite general purpose userRPL code :/
- 2018-01-14
  . notes:
    - interesting
      http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/hpmuseum/archv021.cgi?read=240064
      http://www.hpmuseum.org/mechwork.htm
      http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-9930.html
      www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-9121.html
- 2018-01-06
  . notes:
    - interesting bit about internal coding of the HP calculators (and likely
      all the new 20b, 30b, 39gII, prime.
      http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/hpmuseum/archv020.cgi?read=179081#179135
- 2017-12-30
  . notes
    - interesting results that one gets when the search keyword is quite specific
      (still can be used in differend discussions) and valuable by itself.
      site:hpmuseum.org numerical recipes
      I should do it more often.
- check those books at the next time:
  http://numerical.recipes/oldverswitcher.html (the one with file open format)
  Source discussion: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-9774-post-86983.html#pid86983
- 2017-12-26
  . added
    - as response from feedback in the forum discussion here:
      http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-9090.html
      I decided to make updates to the main torrent file and then after some
      months (around 6) do a large merge and refactoring of the main folder.
      This because after each refactor many people don't have time to
      make a diff of the files and so they end up downloading again a lot
      of files that they already have.
    - some hp prime documentation and files.
    - some documents found in discussions on the MoHPC.

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)