HP Prime firmware update failed – another victim -- SOLVED
08-25-2017, 11:59 AM (This post was last modified: 08-25-2017 08:20 PM by Hans S..)
HP Prime firmware update failed – another victim -- SOLVED
Hi everybody,

I am Hans from southern Germany, this is my first post in this absorbing forum, and, unfortunately, might also be the last (say hello AND/OR goodbye).

In the first place, I have to offer an excuse for my English – I learned it mostly from my brother in law who was born and raised in North Carolina (solely to move to Virginia in his later years).

But here is my issue:

Some time ago I learned about the intriguing history and invention of HP. Then I found this forum, and finally I bought a 35 S, a 50 g and a Prime (don't ask me why. Let's say curiosity; and as we know, curiosity killed the cat. Maybe it was the RPN thing).

Anything worked pleasantly until I tried to update Prime's firmware. Meanwhile I found out that I am not the only casualty on this field of unhonour. I am now aware of all the tips and tricks and do's and don't's, and, in my humble opinion, I tried them all, with no result.

What happens exactly?

Current software version is 2015 6 17 (8151), Hardware Version: C, OS: V0.041.558.
Two computers, Win 10/64. Newest software for virtual Prime and connectivity kit. On one computer freshly installed from the HP pages, on the other everything wiped out and re-installed. Used different USB-connections and –cables on different ports and hubs (USB 2 and 3).

EVERY combination shows the same picture: Starting the connectivity kit - anything is ok.
Connecting the Prime to the computer - anything is ok: USB works, connectivity kit recognises Prime, shows Prime and its contents on the left, etc.

Opening the small "updating firmware" window, saying "Update firmware: 20170710", anything is still ok, Prime is still connected. Pushing the backup button: same.

Now the problems shows:
1. Pushing the update button.
2. Windows asks if I wish to use the "updater utility". Of course I will.
Here things got messed up.
3. Prime says "HP Prime recovery mode V16", connectivity kit looses the connection (no more Prime on the left side of the kit's window, and the updater utility says "waiting for connection" (of course, the connection just has disconnected). From now on, everything is dead as a doornail.

USB connection still seems to be ok, no yellow triangle in the device manager.

So, what else could I do? This is really enervating.

At this point I would like to provide you with some more information on my psyche. I always have problems with things that won't work as they are supposed to do. Maybe this is still the child's dream of a perfect world, but I can't it stand hardly anyway and I am trying to find solutions. If I am not able to find a satisfying solution, I would rather get rid of things than bear their presence (with people, I am more uncomplaining, knowing that I'll not be able to change them).
This said, the Prime in it's current condition is not a device I would like to see ore use every day. Even worse, this could spoil the other HP stuff for me. Unfortunately, in my early RPN eagerness, I bought books on LISP and Forth by the pile. And now? Preparing an auto-da-fé?

Thank you very much for your patience,

Hans
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-25-2017, 01:01 PM
RE: HP Prime firmware update failed – another victim
(08-25-2017 11:59 AM)Hans S. Wrote:  Even worse, this could spoil the other HP stuff for me. Unfortunately, in my early RPN eagerness, I bought books on LISP and Forth by the pile. And now? Preparing an auto-da-fé?

Thank you very much for your patience,

Hans

Hi Hans,

Don't know how to solve it (someone will) but, cheer up man! It seams you're ready to be whipped, tortured or burned... Wink
08-25-2017, 03:56 PM
(08-25-2017 01:01 PM)lost2 Wrote:  (...)cheer up man! It seams you're ready to be whipped, tortured or burned
Thanks - sadly enough, I already feel like whipped and tortured. Per aspera ad astra?
Hans
08-25-2017, 04:02 PM
Hello,

This sounds like the problem microsoft introduced with the latest win10 update. Sometime the USB device takes many minutes to be recognized.

Try this:
1. Leave the calculator in that "recovery mode" screen.
2. Close the connkit.
3. Disconnect the calculator and with it still in the "Recovery screen" then reconnect it in another USB port.
4. Wait for the USB connection noise. Sometimes it can take 10 minutes...
5. If you hear it, open the connectivity kit. It should detect the calculator then and launch the update thing.

Note this is only windows 10. If you had access to any other older windows it would be certain to work quickly. Also, you will never need this "recovery update" again for future updates. The Prime now uses a much simpler method to update, but in order to support this method your unit needs to be updated to a newer version. Sad

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
08-25-2017, 04:16 PM
(08-25-2017 11:59 AM)Hans S. Wrote:  patience

Problem solved, and as it seems, due to pure patience, i. e. doing nothing.

I gave the update software a last try, and, as described, nothing happend. No progress bar (or how this thing has to be called), no sign of life on both sides of the moon, I mean on both sides of the USB cable.

So I had a strong need - for a cup of thea. Preparing my tea (a Fujian Ti Kuan Yin btw), I heard the typical windows bim bim of removed or connected devices. Back at my computer, the miracle had happened: Prime is updatet to firmware 12066.

Software on the computer still is clandestine - didn't say a word, like "successful" or "congratulations". As nothing had occured. Strange.

I am aware that this fine and very elegant solution is due to your best wishes and thoughts, folks; believe me, I can still feel it.

All the best,

Hans
08-25-2017, 04:19 PM
(08-25-2017 04:02 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  4. Wait for the USB connection noise. Sometimes it can take 10 minutes...
Tim,
our messages crossed each other, exacly this was the solution: Start the process and do nothing. Even had not remove anything, just wait.

Have a nice day,

Hans
08-25-2017, 07:01 PM
(08-25-2017 11:59 AM)Hans S. Wrote:  -cut -
I am sorry for your stress but more often than not a bit of patience and detachment solves many problems.

In the case you don't want your Prime (or whatever other object), try to sell it instead of trash it. You never know if someone else can use it somehow, while thrashed, is thrashed and no one can recover it. Well, unless the thing is really damaged, like broken in half. At least this would be my approach.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
08-25-2017, 09:17 PM
RE: HP Prime firmware update failed – another victim -- SOLVED
(08-25-2017 04:16 PM)Hans S. Wrote:  [quote='Hans S.' pid='77812' dateline='1503662356']
Problem solved, and as it seems, due to pure patience, i. e. doing nothing.
Software on the computer still is clandestine - didn't say a word, like "successful" or "congratulations". As nothing had occured. Strange.

Glad it worked!

The reason there is not more feedback is that the old updater DOES display a message, but then closes itself after a few seconds. It was never supposed to take more then 40 seconds or so for the update. Hence, the program had closed itself when you came back.

With the newer updater you will see a much better interface and not have this problem any more. The update will happen inside the running normal calculator interface with a progress bar like you'd want on both the calculator and the conn kit.

Have fun and don't hesitate to post further questions on various forums.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
08-26-2017, 06:36 AM
RE: HP Prime firmware update failed – another victim -- SOLVED
Tim & all,

I appreciate your help and this forum very much.

HAND

Hans

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)