HP Prime OS aesthetics idea
03-22-2014, 11:44 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2014 01:46 AM by Arcturus314.)
HP Prime OS aesthetics idea
Hi all,
After spending some time with the Prime I have found a few areas of possible improvement. Aesthetic improvement probably isn't a priority right now, and it shouldn't be. Anyway, here is my idea:

Right now, the soft menu keys on the screen are rounded at the edges. However, with a low pixel density screen (compared to modern smartphones) these menu buttons accentuate the low pixel density (again compared to smartphones). Why not make these buttons square? This would make the OS look more in line with modern interfaces, which tend to use sharp angles, like Windows 8. The shadow effect should be kept so the entire OS doesn't have to be redone. I made some really simple edits to a screenshot in MS Paint to help show this idea. Included are edited and standard screenshots. What do you think?

EDIT: Updated (not as ugly) version added.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-23-2014, 12:40 AM
RE: HP Prime OS aesthetics idea
If we are going to go the aesthetics route, then the current menu should be completely done away with. We have a touchscreen and I imagine many folks are familiar with or own a smartphone or device with such a screen. "Menus" don't really make much more sense -- it should be more or less like what you'd see on your phones and tablets.

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
03-23-2014, 12:46 AM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2014 12:50 AM by Arcturus314.)
(03-23-2014 12:40 AM)Han Wrote:  If we are going to go the aesthetics route, then the current menu should be completely done away with. We have a touchscreen and I imagine many folks are familiar with or own a smartphone or device with such a screen. "Menus" don't really make much more sense -- it should be more or less like what you'd see on your phones and tablets.

I completely agree. However, that would take a lot if work and there are more critical bugs in the calculator. However, this home screen is what most people considering to buy the calculator see, and I personally thought the rounded icons didn't look as good as they could. And I don't think this would take much time, as its just replacing an image. This calculator is awesome but the OS needs a redesign and this would be a good first step.

Edit: I actually don't think the current menu system is that bad. Many apps have context sensitive menus at the bottom of the screen and I think this is pretty similar. I actually prefer the context sensitive soft keys to hardware keys.
03-23-2014, 01:34 AM
I think your version looks uglier than the rounded pills Tongue

Probably what Han is saying is because the menus aren't finger friendly, not because the visual style of them.

Thinking in short terms: I am happy without the constant flicker of the screen elements.

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-23-2014, 01:38 AM
Here is another revision after spending more than 30 seconds in MS paint. Right now the buttons are black, but that could be changed. Maybe depending on color scheme?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

03-23-2014, 01:41 AM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2014 01:42 AM by Arcturus314.)
(03-23-2014 01:34 AM)eried Wrote:  I think your version looks uglier than the rounded pills Tongue

Probably what Han is saying is because the menus aren't finger friendly, not because the visual style of them.

Thinking in short terms: I am happy without the constant flicker of the screen elements.
Your right for the first version. What do you think of the updated one? I actually find the menus pretty easy to use, but I have big hands.
03-23-2014, 03:02 AM
The second version is ok, I don't know if is matches the rounded OS in general, but it looks more 'modern' (everyone is going full flat with ui nowadays Big Grin)

03-23-2014, 03:22 AM
(03-23-2014 03:02 AM)eried Wrote:  The second version is ok, I don't know if is matches the rounded OS in general, but it looks more 'modern' (everyone is going full flat with ui nowadays Big Grin)

That's what I was aiming for. Honestly, I don't know if a rounded OS is that smart with a display with this pixel density. It doesn't look that smooth compared to smartphones, and HP seems to be emulating smartphones with the color touchscreen.
03-23-2014, 05:54 AM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2014 05:56 AM by eried.)
Maybe is to aim to the father/grandfather of the student, who is familiar with iOS menu (but iOS 7 is a bit more flatter now).

http://www.phonearena.com/news/New-surve...ly_id35985
http://www.forbes.com/sites/prospernow/2...layground/

03-23-2014, 07:07 PM
There are, visually, two kinds of soft menu keys. You can see both types if, for example, you go to one of Function app's plot views or press the toolbox or Vars key when in the home screen. (Look closely at the top corners).
03-23-2014, 11:46 PM
(03-23-2014 07:07 PM)jte Wrote:  There are, visually, two kinds of soft menu keys. You can see both types if, for example, you go to one of Function app's plot views or press the toolbox or Vars key when in the home screen. (Look closely at the top corners).

Do you mean the menus themselves? I don't see anything in the top corners.
03-24-2014, 12:23 AM
(03-23-2014 11:46 PM)Arcturus314 Wrote:  
(03-23-2014 07:07 PM)jte Wrote:  There are, visually, two kinds of soft menu keys. You can see both types if, for example, you go to one of Function app's plot views or press the toolbox or Vars key when in the home screen. (Look closely at the top corners).

Do you mean the menus themselves? I don't see anything in the top corners.

Some of the soft menu keys have rounded top corners and some have sharp top corners. For example: in the Function Plot view, "Zoom" has sharp top corners while "Defn" has rounded top corners.
03-24-2014, 01:11 AM
(03-24-2014 12:23 AM)jte Wrote:  
(03-23-2014 11:46 PM)Arcturus314 Wrote:  Do you mean the menus themselves? I don't see anything in the top corners.

Some of the soft menu keys have rounded top corners and some have sharp top corners. For example: in the Function Plot view, "Zoom" has sharp top corners while "Defn" has rounded top corners.

I didn't notice that! I actually prefer that to the rounded corners, but changing the bottom of the keys too would look nicer (imo).
03-24-2014, 02:30 AM
Good observation :O the round ones are direct actions and the flat ones are menus, nice visual cue.

Anyone knows how to select with the fingers? for example to get help over one menu item? it is that possible or only is possible with the arrow keys?

03-24-2014, 02:52 AM
(03-24-2014 02:30 AM)eried Wrote:  Good observation :O the round ones are direct actions and the flat ones are menus, nice visual cue.

Anyone knows how to select with the fingers? for example to get help over one menu item? it is that possible or only is possible with the arrow keys?

I think its only with arrow keys.
03-27-2014, 08:28 AM (This post was last modified: 03-27-2014 08:30 AM by orcinus.)
AFAIK, there has been a distinction between rounded and square menus since the days od HP48s. The idea of having different shapes for different menu and item types was then further expanded upon in MetaKernel.

The rounded & square soft keys in Prime are a clear throwback to that convention and shouldn't be changed (IMHO).

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)