Will be visiting PORTLAND (OR)
04-15-2017, 02:49 AM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2017 02:51 AM by Namir.)
Will be visiting PORTLAND (OR)
HI,

I plan to visit my son, between May 10 and May 23, who lives in Hillsboro (a suburb of PORTLAND, OR). He has long work hours and we are both new to the area. I am interested in meeting members of this site who live in Portland. If you are retired, then we can meet during the day. If not, we can meet in the evening. Send me a PM if you are interested in getting together.

Namir
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-15-2017, 10:59 AM
RE: Will be visiting PORTLAND (OR)
Not close enough Namur!

When you get there, check out Powell book store. Spend the day!

Powell book store

enjoy the old town and if you like antiques check out the market.

Cheers, .Geoff.
04-15-2017, 03:46 PM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2017 03:46 PM by rprosperi.)
I was going to recommend Powell's as well, but I see Geoff beat me to the punch.

Plan visit for several hours. Maybe the best bookstore in US. I'd say anywhere, but I've no idea about Europe and UK where I've heard there are some 100+ year old bookstores that are amazing.

--Bob Prosperi
04-15-2017, 08:10 PM
(04-15-2017 03:46 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  ...I've no idea about Europe and UK where I've heard there are some 100+ year old bookstores that are amazing.

I cannot say much about amazing bookstores in Europe. But for me one of the most fascinating things in an international forum like this is the way certain facts are interpreted differently in different parts of the world. I'd say that over here in good old Europe, 100+ year old stores are nothing special at all. My favourite bookstore in town just celebrated its 125th anniversary, and another one was founded in 1768. Which should not be much of a surprise – in the Old World some things are, well... "old". ;-)

Dieter
04-15-2017, 08:53 PM
(04-15-2017 08:10 PM)Dieter Wrote:  My favourite bookstore in town just celebrated its 125th anniversary, and another one was founded in 1768. Which should not be much of a surprise – in the Old World some things are, well... "old". ;-)

Eheheh, good point Dieter!

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-15-2017, 08:57 PM
This is the oldest here in in Milan.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-15-2017, 10:14 PM
I have visited Powell Book store last December when my wife and i helped my son move from Phoenix, Arizona to Portland, Oregon.
04-15-2017, 10:50 PM
(04-15-2017 08:10 PM)Dieter Wrote:  – in the Old World some things are, well... "old". ;-)

Dieter

I had a chorus director once who told us he was 'on sabbatical from "New College" at Oxford. They call it that because it is only 700 years old.'
04-15-2017, 11:41 PM
(Sorry to hijack this thread Namir, but who doesn't love bookstores).

These are 2 articles I read a few months ago:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/booksb...-recommend

and

http://flavorwire.com/254434/the-20-most...-the-world

I really would like to visit Livraria Lello in Portugal, Librería El Ateneo Grand Splendid in Buenos Aires, and Livraria da Vila in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

--Bob Prosperi
04-16-2017, 03:00 AM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2017 12:50 PM by Namir.)
(04-15-2017 11:41 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  (Sorry to hijack this thread Namir, but who doesn't love bookstores).

These are 2 articles I read a few months ago:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/booksb...-recommend

and

http://flavorwire.com/254434/the-20-most...-the-world

I really would like to visit Livraria Lello in Portugal, Librería El Ateneo Grand Splendid in Buenos Aires, and Livraria da Vila in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

Don't get me wrong, I was elated to walk in Powell Books. After all, it is a Portland institution! However when I found the computer books section it was small and most of the books were printed a few years ago. As for the calculator books section, it was non-existent (or maybe we can say it was merged with the fiction section). Of course, I don't think a calculator books section exists in any commercial bookstore.

Namir

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)