Sales advice
01-17-2017, 01:31 AM (This post was last modified: 01-17-2017 01:46 AM by jupiters_spot.)
Sales advice
Twenty years ago I purchased some HP goodies for a collection that, since the arrival of my kids, has languished. I'm trying to thin my collection and wonder whether more active forum members can offer advice on how best to sell? I have the following:
- Two working and clean HP-21 calculators (Museum Link)
- HP-21 Owner's Handbook
- HP-21 Applications Book
- Locking "Security Cradle" for Woodstock-series calculators that comes with two keys, instruction sheet, and original box.
- 82026A charger (for use with Woodstock-series calculators) in original box
- [edited to add] Working HP-48S calculator with owner's manual [/edit]
I have bought and sold on eBay, Craigslist, and (back in the day) Usenet but I wonder whether those venues, or perhaps the Classified section of this forum would reach the widest audience of interested parties. Any advice from sellers?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-17-2017, 02:00 AM
RE: Sales advice
(01-17-2017 01:31 AM)jupiters_spot Wrote:  Twenty years ago I purchased some HP goodies for a collection that, since the arrival of my kids, has languished. I'm trying to thin my collection and wonder whether more active forum members can offer advice on how best to sell? I have the following:
- HP-21 Owner's Handbook
- Locking "Security Cradle" for Woodstock-series calculators that comes with two keys, instruction sheet, and original box.
I have bought and sold on eBay, Craigslist, and (back in the day) Usenet but I wonder whether those venues, or perhaps the Classified section of this forum would reach the widest audience of interested parties. Any advice from sellers?

The benefit of eBay is it would definitely provide the largest and widest audience, however that is also it's greatest weakness. Many buyers don't know what they're buying, aren't happy and want refunds if there is some perceived blemish your listing didn't describe, etc. In short, a higher likelihood for troublesome sales.

CL is it's own thing, and could go either way. Very hard to predict, and you may have to deal with local prospective buyers in person; that may be good or bad.

The Classified section here will dramatically limit your audience size (compared to the other 2 options), but you will have a more informed buyer, who is far more likely to amicably work things out if issues arise, since we're all part of the same community. That said, you may not command as high a price here, as folks here tend to be more informed of market pricing.

Often, members list items here first, to sell as many items as possible under these "better" conditions, then bring items not purchased here to eBay, CL, or other local options.

HTH

--Bob Prosperi
01-17-2017, 01:50 PM
(01-17-2017 01:31 AM)jupiters_spot Wrote:  Twenty years ago I purchased some HP goodies for a collection that, since the arrival of my kids, has languished. I'm trying to thin my collection and wonder whether more active forum members can offer advice on how best to sell? I have the following:
- HP-21 Owner's Handbook

Just as a point of reference, a few months ago (maybe 6?) I sold one HP-21 with Carry Case, Owner's Manual, Applications Handbook, and Charger on eBay. Everything in very good condition, all working. The battery box had been carefully opened to allow a new set of NiCd batteries to be inserted and the box put back together. All this for the grand total of $50 plus shipping. And, I was glad to get it, because there were other auctions out there with the calculator alone, or the calculator and case, etc, for similar.

Don't get your hopes up too high, and good luck with your sales.

smp
01-17-2017, 07:53 PM
(01-17-2017 01:50 PM)smp Wrote:  Don't get your hopes up too high, and good luck with your sales.

Expectations lowered :-)
I'll likely list here first, and then use eBay on whatever remains.

Thanks all for the assistance.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)