Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Apps
12-01-2016, 03:15 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2016 03:16 PM by Tim Wessman.)
RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Apps
(12-01-2016 03:12 PM)Maro Wrote:  
(12-01-2016 12:40 PM)Han Wrote:  In the virtual calc, check to see if networking has been enabled in the preferences.

Networking has been enabled in both virtual calc and CK, but still the same. CK doesn't show the virtual calc.

Thanks for the report. We are investigating, but in the meantime could you (or anyone seeing this) check if:

1. Do you have the system firewall turned on? (or a 3rd party one)
2. Do you have an antivirus of any kind running?

The programs communicate using a local IP socket. These shouldn't normally be blocked by anything, but it could be possible something is blocking it. We've never seen that in our testing, but there was at least one person that had a problem on windows with Norton deciding to block the connection in a random manner.

Anyone else have any idea of what could block a local socket on *nix systems?

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2016, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the tip!

I am running the Connectivity Kit and Virtual Calculator on a Mac, the iOS app on an iPhone 6. An Apple Time Capsule provides the network.

After opening the firewall from "blocking everything" both the Virtual Calculator and the iOS app are recognized by the Connectivity Kit ;-)

/Janne

JanneF

Compatibility is just a mishap in the art of violating the standards!
12-01-2016, 05:08 PM
(12-01-2016 03:59 PM)JanneF Wrote:  Thanks for the tip!

I am running the Connectivity Kit and Virtual Calculator on a Mac, the iOS app on an iPhone 6. An Apple Time Capsule provides the network.

After opening the firewall from "blocking everything" both the Virtual Calculator and the iOS app are recognized by the Connectivity Kit ;-)

/Janne

Thanks! I've confirmed this now on my end.

The emu<=>connkit connection uses a local socket which is getting blocked by the firewall being set to "Block Everything". There is a range of ports that won't be, but they are ONLY allowed to be used with administrator rights which isn't desired. I'm doubtful we can actually work around the firewall thing. If you use the "ask per application" it does correctly pop up a box asking if you want to allow it.

TW

12-01-2016, 07:07 PM
(12-01-2016 03:15 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  
(12-01-2016 03:12 PM)Maro Wrote:  Networking has been enabled in both virtual calc and CK, but still the same. CK doesn't show the virtual calc.

Thanks for the report. We are investigating, but in the meantime could you (or anyone seeing this) check if:

1. Do you have the system firewall turned on? (or a 3rd party one)
2. Do you have an antivirus of any kind running?

The programs communicate using a local IP socket. These shouldn't normally be blocked by anything, but it could be possible something is blocking it. We've never seen that in our testing, but there was at least one person that had a problem on windows with Norton deciding to block the connection in a random manner.

Anyone else have any idea of what could block a local socket on *nix systems?

Hi Tim,

thanks for that. I can now confirm that actually it was the OS X firewall. Turning it off has solved the problem, so CK now sees my virtual calc, great!. Of course it would be nice if it worked with the firewall turned on too.
12-02-2016, 04:50 PM
(12-02-2016 04:08 PM)moonbeam Wrote:  For me, the CK on a Mac can't find the iOS app even with the 3rd party firewall disabled.

If I can make the time, I'll try some packet captures to get a clearer picture.

This might seem silly, but Mac OS X also has its own firewall as well. Is that also disabled in your testing?

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
12-02-2016, 06:52 PM
(12-02-2016 04:08 PM)moonbeam Wrote:  For me, the CK on a Mac can't find the iOS app even with the 3rd party firewall disabled.

If I can make the time, I'll try some packet captures to get a clearer picture.

Maybe basic question - have you gone into the Page 4 of home settings to select your connkit? Do you see "0" as the count of available connections in there?

TW

12-02-2016, 08:57 PM
(12-02-2016 08:56 PM)moonbeam Wrote:  And a basic solution: select the available network.

Oops.

I'm guessing that means it is connecting now? Smile

TW

12-02-2016, 11:09 PM
Did someone get the Android app already?

Günter
12-03-2016, 07:43 AM
I got a mail this morning to register to Prime beta program on the Google playstore and some time after, checking my apps there was an update available for Prime app. I installed it and I have now the beta version on my Sony Z3 Compact tablet (6.0.1).
But it doesn't work so I sent a bug report to the email address. This is beta life... Wink
12-03-2016, 04:44 PM
Beta works nice on HighDPI displays Big Grin yay!

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-04-2016, 01:06 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2016 01:44 AM by Anderson Costa.)
Thanks, Tim. The beta testing is great, preferably for app versions of HP Prime Virtual Calculator.
I am subscribing to test the Win Store version, but I am playing very much with the desktop version of HP Prime Virtual Calculator since the release of the leaked Pre-Release 1 version on my PCs and notes.
Some doubts:
1- Does the stable versions will be disponible at traditional ftp site at the future?
2- If I subscribe to the beta versions, the betas will have any expiration date or anything similar?
3- I don't want to obtain the stable app version for free. If I participate to the beta for app version, do I pay for the stable app version for support your job or not?
EDIT: 4- Which apps in the HP Prime Software library subforum are compatible to the beta version of HP Prime Virtual Calculator?
12-07-2016, 01:51 PM
Re: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Apps
Hello MoHPC Community and Tim Wessman,

I just found out that the participation in the Beta test is mandatory for Windows 10 App users. The Windows Store App has modified my purchased HP Prime Graphing Calculator to App version 1.3.1.11201, corresponding to Software Version "2016 12 05 (11201) BETA" today.
Is that intended to increase the number of beta testers?

Best,
FDR
12-07-2016, 04:20 PM
(12-07-2016 01:51 PM)f_d_reckermann Wrote:  I just found out that the participation in the Beta test is mandatory for Windows 10 App users. The Windows Store App has modified my purchased HP Prime Graphing Calculator to App version 1.3.1.11201, corresponding to Software Version "2016 12 05 (11201) BETA" today.
Is that intended to increase the number of beta testers?

No, it was definitely not intentional. My guess is the team that handles the store app stuff messed up somewhere and instead of doing the "limited" release, they flagged it for public somehow. We will try to investigate and resolve.

However, be aware that I am 100% certain what you just had downloaded is more reliable and has less problems then the one in the store.

TW

12-07-2016, 08:34 PM
(11-30-2016 07:50 PM)smp Wrote:  Hi Tim,

I figured that this would get complicated. 8-)

Up until now, I use Windows 7, running on Parallels, on my MacBook Pro. I start the HPCK, then I plug in my Prime. My Mac asks me where the new USB device should connect, and I select Windows. Then, my Prime shows up in the HPCK on Windows.

Then, I can go into the Content window of the HPCK, go into Shared Folders (Z: ) which connects me to my MacBook Pro file system, and then navigate the folders into my Documents Folder, and then into the HP Connectivity Kit Folder, and finally into the Contents Folder.

From there, I can select the program. I just did all the above, and my program comes up correctly displayed in HPCK on Windows, on Parallels, on my MacBook Pro.

I originally used the HPCK to develop the program. Usually, I type in most of it in Notepad on Windows, then I copy and paste into a new program template in the HPCK. During debugging, I usually make my corrections right in the HPCK. I can also copy out of the HPCK and paste back into Notepad. Again, I just did this operation to check it again, and it all works fine.

That very same content, when accessed by the HPCK on my MacBook Pro, comes up with the garbled view that I have shown.

So, my Content, when viewed from HPCK in Windows, on Parallels, on my MacBook Pro looks and works fine. But when the very same Content is viewed by the Macintosh version of the HPCK, it comes up as garbled.

I hope this helps.

smp

I'm having the same problem with hpappdir files such as Gallery and my Racer game. If I run up Windows 7 inside Virtual Box with the old Windows CK, the files transfer to the virtual or physical Prime without problem. If I use the macOS CK the hpappprgm file is corrupt (seemingly missing every other character), but the png and hpappnote files look fine.

This is true on yesterday's build of macOS CK (Build: 2016 12 6. Rev:11217) as well as the original.
12-07-2016, 09:35 PM
(12-07-2016 08:34 PM)Mark Power Wrote:  I'm having the same problem with hpappdir files such as Gallery and my Racer game. If I run up Windows 7 inside Virtual Box with the old Windows CK, the files transfer to the virtual or physical Prime without problem. If I use the macOS CK the hpappprgm file is corrupt (seemingly missing every other character), but the png and hpappnote files look fine.

This is true on yesterday's build of macOS CK (Build: 2016 12 6. Rev:11217) as well as the original.

You mentioned the build number for Mac OS -- is the the Windows CK (within Parallels) the same version as the Mac version (or at least close in build numbers)?

When saving a regular unicode text file within Parallels, does that same file display correctly using, say, Textedit on Mac OS?

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
12-07-2016, 11:15 PM
(12-07-2016 08:34 PM)Mark Power Wrote:  I'm having the same problem with hpappdir files such as Gallery and my Racer game. If I run up Windows 7 inside Virtual Box with the old Windows CK, the files transfer to the virtual or physical Prime without problem. If I use the macOS CK the hpappprgm file is corrupt (seemingly missing every other character), but the png and hpappnote files look fine.

Ok, found it. Thanks!

Basically, there is a small stub of "old" code to handle pre r10024 programs which were not perfectly identical on any platform. I needed to add a bit of code in there to ensure that on 32 bit character systems (mac, ios, linux, android) it wouldn't attempt to load that text as 32 bytes per character - hence the skipping.

TW

01-31-2017, 04:09 AM
(11-29-2016 07:51 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Hello,

For the first time, the HP Calculator group is able to have users participate in a public Beta test. Shortly, there will be several exciting additions to the Prime platform and we'd like interested users to test them out and provide feedback. Specifically, we are seeking those willing to help us test new networking capabilities in this beta release.

Should things go well, the HP Calculator group may be able to continue to do this in the future for firmware updates and similar. Should you also prove to be a very enthusiastic individual with quality issue reporting skills, you may also receive an invite to participate in the more closed betas that happen earlier in the development process.

Some additional information from the announcement thread may be of interest should you have missed that: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-7293.html

While you can post in forums such as this at your discretion, we ask that the primary way of reporting be to send reports to calcbeta@hp.com. Basically, the goal is avoid disruption or annoyance to other forum participants. You can pop up a pre-populated email template by clicking the "Report Issue" menu item in the programs themselves.

[Image: report_issue.png]

The files for Windows/Mac systems are now available, and the apps should be appearing before long.

If you desire to test an iOS, Android, or Winstore version, please communicate to calcbeta@hp.com with your email ID and type of app store. We can add you in and hopefully you will receive a notice for the app when available.

Note that web browsers handle direct ftp links differently. If you have trouble, I'd recommend using FileZilla (https://filezilla-project.org/) or a similar FTP program instead of the direct browser.

Have fun!

Quote:-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
FTP Access : ftp://primebta:GetBeta1@ftp.usa.hp.com

Login: primebta
Password: GetBeta1 (NOTE: CASE-sensitive)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Quote:HP Prime Public Beta – Release Notes
-------------------------

Beta Use

Please note that this is a beta version which is still undergoing development and testing before official release. The software and all content found within are provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis. HP Inc. does not give any warranties, whether express or implied, as to the suitability or usability of the software or any of its content.

PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT HP SUPPORT FOR ASSISTANCE. You will simply be asked to install the supported public release, or communicate with calcbeta@hp.com

Date Released: 2016/11/29

Internal Versions
-----------------
Virtual Calculator Version: 2016 11 29 (~11166)
Connectivity Kit: 2016 11 29 (~11166)

Description
-----------
This public beta is for testing the new version of the HP Prime Emulator, HP Prime Connectivity Kit, and associated apps. Please communicate problems to calcbeta@hp.com. Some forum discussion may be appropriate, but we ask you not to bombard everyone with the discussion as they may not wish to participate.

Note that you will most likely lose data during the HP Prime app installation on iOS/Android/Winstore devices. Unfortunately, the data on those earlier app versions was not compatible with other OS and application versions. All files created and produced on any version of HP Prime are now compatible to support sharing with any device.

While the primary focus of this Beta is networking, the new Virtual Calc, and Mac support, feel free to let us know of any other issues you encounter (especially if there has been a change from the last public release!!!). Please refrain from making large feature requests if they have been communicated previously.

If you desire to test an iOS, Android, or Winstore version, please communicate to calcbeta@hp.com with your email ID and type of app store. We can add you in and hopefully you will receive a notice for the app when available.

This document is not a complete list of all changes, but highlights specific items.

New Functionality (Virtual Calculator)
---------------------------------------
1. Working directory is now stored in <Documents>/HP Prime. On windows, old files located in %APPDATA%/HP_Prime will be moved over on first run.
2. International keyboards now fully supported. Please report problems with your specific keyboard layout if you find them.
a. Shortcuts like CTRL-C, CTRL-V won't leave the virtual calculator in "Shift" lock mode anymore.
3. "Connect To" menu has been removed. Any connected device will now receive communication instead of requiring unique selection first.
4. Updates now handled through HTTP only. Should be more reliable for those with network restrictions.
a. Documentation files for non-english will be downloaded on demand. This reduces overall file size on installation.
5. Able to communicate across an IP network to other systems on the same subnet.
6. App versions (iOS,Android,Winstore) - Synchronized with the "Prime Core". Updates and versions should no longer be out of sync moving forward.

New Functionality (Connectivity Kit)
1. Able to communicate across an IP network to other HP Prime apps on the same subnet.
a. To connect apps, either tap the top right corner screen of your simulated Prime and tap the "wireless" icon, or go to page 4 of your HOME SETTINGS. Pick the detected network name.
2. Updates now handled through HTTP only. Should be more reliable for those with network restrictions.
a. Documentation files for non-english will be downloaded on demand. This reduces overall file size on installation.

New Functionality (Prime Core)
1. A simulated off now runs when you do a shift-OFF in apps. (exclusively on shift-off and no other times)

Known Issues
On calculator "backups" currently broken.
You may get a notice about "unable to download emulator help file". The update.xml has a reference to a non-existing file.

Resolved issues and changes excluding CAS
-----------------------------------------
1. Resolved display issue when using split-stem in Stem and Leaf stat plot and consecutive empty stems fell.
2. Resolved issue where really old calculator firmwares (>2.5yrs) didn't do anything in connkit. Now they will be put into "update" mode in the windows version.
Resolved issues and changes in CAS
3. Resolved issue with √(1_(MN/m^2)*1_(MPa)) in home generating an error but not 1e6_Pa (or kg/ms²)
4. Resolved issue with , and . setting when returning a fully qualified name from the toolbox.
5. Resolved issue with nested lists in EQ command - EQ({1,2,3},{1,2,{1,1}}
6. Resolved issue with RETURN command in IF THEN sequence in a user program.
7. Resolved issue with SORT and numbers 0<n<1.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Previous Versions
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is no files in the ftp site to download ?
03-01-2017, 06:23 PM
(01-31-2017 04:09 AM)wyattwong Wrote:  There is no files in the ftp site to download ?

The Mac software seems to have been fully released:

http://www.hp-prime.de/en/id/61-firmware-update
03-01-2017, 07:11 PM
(01-31-2017 04:09 AM)wyattwong Wrote:  There is no files in the ftp site to download ?

I don't see anything there, either.

Tom L

Tom L
Cui bono?
03-01-2017, 08:12 PM
There is no beta running at the moment. The versions testing have been released.

TW

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)