Synthetic
11-21-2016, 02:04 PM
Synthetic
Ok I've had my HP-41CX for a while now and I'm venturing into areas I last used 30+ years ago.
My calculator came with 2 Extended Memory modules and I also have the Clonix-D module from Diego.
I keep trying to do the Synthetic (I think if someone was sat next to me I'd get it!) but come up across program lines like STO M or STO IND 17 and things like press the PM key?
I tried one bit where I stored DEL to Log key and tried to ASN + to LN key and then use USER keyboard. Storing + to LN gives an error, the other one worked.

Finally do I have the ability to write Machine Code with my configuration using say one of the extended memory modules?
Thanks
Dennis

Denny Tuckerman
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-21-2016, 05:20 PM
RE: Synthetic
First you want to be able to program your Clonix-D, then the easiest way to do synthetics is to grab a module that unlocks direct keyed synthetics. CCD ROM (also exists as CC/OSX and variants) or the Zenrom will allow that. Program that into your Clonix-D, grab some books about the topic and you are all set for learning synthetics.

STO IND 17 is not synthetic, just press STO SHIFT 17.

You will be able to do machine code with your setup, and the Clonix-D is also the key here. It does not have any RAM pages, so you need do development on a host computer (Mac, PC, Linux) and then reprogram the Clonix-D with your own module image.

Håkan
Find all posts by this user
11-21-2016, 07:00 PM
Ok I've sussed out the Synthetic Programming using MK and BG from the PPC ROM on the Clonix-D.
Still need some help with the Machine Code question please!
Dennis

Denny Tuckerman
11-21-2016, 07:04 PM
(11-21-2016 05:20 PM)hth Wrote:  STO IND 17 is not synthetic, just press STO SHIFT 17.

Sure. But STO IND 17 is represented by bytes 145 145 while STO M is 145 117. So a common way to enter STO M is STO IND 17 RDN (that's 145 145 117) and delete the first byte with the byte grabber, leaving the desired 145 117 = STO M.

Dieter
11-21-2016, 10:31 PM
(11-21-2016 07:00 PM)Leviset Wrote:  Ok I've sussed out the Synthetic Programming using MK and BG from the PPC ROM on the Clonix-D.
Still need some help with the Machine Code question please!
Dennis

The Clonix-D will be able to run your MCODE programs, provided that you create a module image for it.

There are basically two ways to create such images. Either you do it on a host computer and use tools, such as an assembler to put a module image together. The second way is to do it on the HP-41 itself, but in that case you need a module that provides RAM (pages).

Clonix modules at some point allowed for a small amount of RAM as well, but I am not sure about the status of this. The manual mentions it, but it seems to be gone in the source code.

In case it is possible to get that RAM working, you can do MCODE on the HP-41. Modules such as Zenrom, Davids Assembler might be useful in that case (I have never tried them). There is also a debugger ROM that was made available recently.

What host computer (operating system) do you use? Are you familiar with developing using tools on a host computer?

Håkan
11-23-2016, 10:21 PM (This post was last modified: 11-23-2016 10:22 PM by aurelio.)
(11-21-2016 05:20 PM)hth Wrote:  grab some books about the topic and you are all set for learning synthetics.
Håkan

I know just
Synthetic Programming - W.C. Wickes
Synthetic Programming Made Easy - Keith Jarett

Do you know others?
11-23-2016, 10:30 PM
(11-23-2016 10:21 PM)aurelio Wrote:  
(11-21-2016 05:20 PM)hth Wrote:  grab some books about the topic and you are all set for learning synthetics.
Håkan

I know just

Do you know others?

"Extend Your HP-41C" by Wlodek Mier-Jedrzejowicz, which along with Bill Wickes' book are included in the MoHPC Document set.

Get a copy of this set here if you don't already have one; best calculator money you can spend IMHO.

Wickes book is very early in the exploration of Synthetics, but a must-read.

Wlodek's is the "latest" of these books, and by far the best single reference work on the 41C, also a must-have!

--Bob Prosperi
11-24-2016, 01:09 AM
And don't forget "The HP-41 SYNTHETIC Quick Reference Guide" by Jeremy Smith (1983). A very useful little handbook for those who already understand synthetics. Printed on something that cannot be torn (Tyvek perhaps?) and small enough to fit in your shirt pocket. 40 pages packed with information.

[Image: JeremySmith.jpg]

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
11-24-2016, 08:30 PM (This post was last modified: 11-24-2016 08:31 PM by aurelio.)
(11-23-2016 10:30 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(11-23-2016 10:21 PM)aurelio Wrote:  I know just

Do you know others?

"Extend Your HP-41C" by Wlodek Mier-Jedrzejowicz, which along with Bill Wickes' book are included in the MoHPC Document set.

Get a copy of this set here if you don't already have one; best calculator money you can spend IMHO.

Wickes book is very early in the exploration of Synthetics, but a must-read.

Wlodek's is the "latest" of these books, and by far the best single reference work on the 41C, also a must-have!
Thank you Bob and John, yes I have these three books.... I forgot to list "the book" (Wlodek Mier-Jedrzejowicz's I mean ) sorry Smile

I've also a scanned copy of the Jeremy pocket book from TOS, but I was wondering if there is a most recent book, or why not an italian language book.....nothing I believe.

I found just in a journal article a few pages talking about synhetics Smile
11-24-2016, 09:13 PM
(11-24-2016 08:30 PM)aurelio Wrote:  why not an italian language book.....nothing I believe.

Forget about it ;)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)