Inconsistency Rant
10-25-2016, 02:14 PM
Inconsistency Rant
As much as I love the Prime (it's my favorite calculator of my current stable of 43 different machines from around the world) Sometimes I just don't get it.
Example (in RPN mode, of course!):

Calculate sin(5):

5, sin

Calculate sinh(5):

5, Enter, sinh(1), Enter

I'm not calling for any changes but just venting. Thanks for indulging me!

Tom L

Tom L
Cui bono?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-25-2016, 02:17 PM
RE: Inconsistency Rant
Not quite sure I understand you here. I do 5 ENTER TOOLBOX->Hyperbolic->sinh and it immediately evaluates the sinh(5).

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
10-26-2016, 12:08 PM (This post was last modified: 10-26-2016 12:16 PM by toml_12953.)
(10-25-2016 02:17 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Not quite sure I understand you here. I do 5 ENTER TOOLBOX->Hyperbolic->sinh and it immediately evaluates the sinh(5).

I was choosing SINH from the catalog. When I do that, it shows

SINH()

and the number in parentheses must be the number of arguments on the stack. If I use the toolbox, it works as expected. I guess I'd like the catalog to show commands and functions that are consistent with the current mode - in CAS mode, show functions in CAS format, in algebraic mode show functions in algebraic format and in RPN mode show functions in RPN format. Either that or always show all commands and functions so that both SINH and SINH() would show.

Tom L

Tom L
Cui bono?
10-26-2016, 02:13 PM
(10-26-2016 12:08 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  and the number in parentheses must be the number of arguments on the stack. If I use the toolbox, it works as expected. I guess I'd like the catalog to show commands and functions that are consistent with the current mode - in CAS mode, show functions in CAS format, in algebraic mode show functions in algebraic format and in RPN mode show functions in RPN format. Either that or always show all commands and functions so that both SINH and SINH() would show.

I see what you mean now. The issue is that for commands that take a fixed number of args when picked from the catalog don't automatically evaluate. I'll see what I can do.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)