200LX Software
09-14-2016, 11:20 AM
200LX Software
Hi everyone, long time reader, first time poster. I'm a big fan of 71b and 48 series, but I started getting interested in the 200LX lately. Unfortunately looks like couple of the main sites are gone, and I can't seem to find much software for it...

Can anyone point me to a download area for any 200LX related software, and/or good resource of information?

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-14-2016, 12:31 PM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2016 09:07 PM by striegel.)
A few links to HPLX mailing list, SUPER, Daniel Hertrich.
Ordinarily I would have pointed users to the S.U.P.E.R.* on hplx.net, but that domain registration appears to have expired at the end of July.

If you are not already a member of the hplx mailing list, it might be a good idea to join. The list info page shows how to join.

You will also find some useful materials at Daniel Hertrich's page.

* S.U.P.E.R. = Simply Unbeatable Palmtop Essentials Repository

(09-14-2016 11:20 AM)polbit Wrote:  ... interested in the 200LX lately. Unfortunately looks like couple of the main sites are gone, and I can't seem to find much software for it...

Can anyone point me to a download area for any 200LX related software, and/or good resource of information?...
09-14-2016, 02:23 PM
RE: 200LX Software
The HP Palmtop InfoBase CD is available here, but since Jon passed away you may not get a reply. If not, let me know and I'll put it up on Google Drive.

The HP Palmtop Paper journals are available here.

Dave
09-14-2016, 04:37 PM
(09-14-2016 12:31 PM)striegel Wrote:  Ordinarily I would have pointed users to the S.U.P.E.R.* on hplx.net, but that domain registration appears to have expired at the end of July.

If you are not already a member of the hplx mailing list, it might be a good idea to join. The list info page shows how to join.

You will also find some useful materials at Daniel Hertrich's page.

* S.U.P.E.R. = Simply Unbeatable Palmtop Essentials Repository

Thanks, I joined the email list per your suggestion. The SUPER, if gone, will be a big loss... I hope somebody made a copy and can make it available again?
09-14-2016, 04:38 PM
(09-14-2016 02:23 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  The HP Palmtop InfoBase CD is available here, but since Jon passed away you may not get a reply. If not, let me know and I'll put it up on Google Drive.

The HP Palmtop Paper journals are available here.

Dave

Dave, if you could share the InfoBase CD that would be great! I did email the contact on the website, but it does not appear to have been updated in a while...
09-14-2016, 08:32 PM
(09-14-2016 11:20 AM)polbit Wrote:  Can anyone point me to a download area for any 200LX related software, and/or good resource of information?

Keep in mind that many MSDOS programs will run on the HP-200LX, including many programming languages such as Turbo C and Turbo Pascal.

You should check out some of the MSDOS programs websites. I'm sure you will find many programs to run.

Bill
Smithville, NJ
09-14-2016, 09:01 PM
(09-14-2016 04:38 PM)polbit Wrote:  Dave, if you could share the InfoBase CD that would be great! I did email the contact on the website, but it does not appear to have been updated in a while...

Here's the link.
09-14-2016, 09:07 PM
(09-14-2016 08:32 PM)Bill (Smithville NJ) Wrote:  
(09-14-2016 11:20 AM)polbit Wrote:  Can anyone point me to a download area for any 200LX related software, and/or good resource of information?

Keep in mind that many MSDOS programs will run on the HP-200LX, including many programming languages such as Turbo C and Turbo Pascal.

You should check out some of the MSDOS programs websites. I'm sure you will find many programs to run.

Bill
Smithville, NJ

Yes, I have been doing just that! Got Turbo C as the first install, now setting up TASM, and also playing with A86/D86 which I paid for a long time ago... Really enjoying the keyboard feel, and the overall design. I think I will have a new toy to tinker with for a while!
09-14-2016, 09:13 PM
(09-14-2016 09:01 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(09-14-2016 04:38 PM)polbit Wrote:  Dave, if you could share the InfoBase CD that would be great! I did email the contact on the website, but it does not appear to have been updated in a while...

Here's the link.

Great, thank you!
09-15-2016, 07:35 PM
Me again... I've been trying to find at least a somewhat active forum or site for the 200LX, and so far I came up empty. Definitely nothing like the hpcalc or ticalc. The mailing list mentioned above allowed me to sign up but I have not been able to post or read anything, and their server is down. In fact, it appears that the few big sites dedicated to it all went down last or this year... Just my luck I guess Smile

The InfoBase CD is a goldmine, but I would love to find at lest few more people still playing with it! With that said, does anyone know of any other site that has some activity related to the 200LX?
09-15-2016, 09:06 PM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2016 09:08 PM by striegel.)
Hints to discover what SUPER used to hold
(09-14-2016 04:37 PM)polbit Wrote:  ...The SUPER, if gone, will be a big loss... I hope somebody made a copy and can make it available again?

I don't know that there were ever any mirrors of SUPER, but I have quite a number of the things that interested me already downloaded and could pass along some of them.

You can still see what kinds of things it used to offer by using archive.org. There you can browse the directory pages, although it's likely that very few of the links to download anything will work.

If you see things you need, it's can't hurt to ask around.
09-16-2016, 02:13 PM
The only site that I know of that is still active is here. The owner of the site (Michel) still responds to emails about the 200LX. He also has an archive of the entire SUPER site (among other items). It is not posted on his site, so you will have to email him for it. If he doesn't respond, let me know.
09-20-2016, 01:10 AM
Well, I'm sure I'll start looking for more software, etc., but for now I think I'm set. I got a 256Mb card working, and all the dev tools installed, got the SDK, the HV viewer, LX pic viewer, and found my paid-for QEdit old version, as well as TSE (same company), with home-grown TASM macros still intact Smile

Assembler is a lot of fun on this thing, just wish I remembered more!
09-20-2016, 08:35 AM
(09-20-2016 01:10 AM)polbit Wrote:  found my paid-for QEdit old version, as well as TSE (same company)
Highly recommended!

Here's another "must-have" gem:

http://www.4dos.info/4dsource/4dos800.zip
https://web.archive.org/web/201603231916...super.html

4DOS.INI for the 200LX:

[4DOS]
HelpOptions = /M /F /X
Swapping = EMS,c:\tmp,a:\tmp,None
EditMode = Insert
Printer = AUX
UpperCase = Yes
OutputBIOS = Yes
SDFlush = Yes
FullInt2E = Yes
MessageServer = Yes
UniqueSwapName = Yes
SwapReOpen = No

Greetings,

Matthias

--
"Programs are poems for computers."
09-20-2016, 04:09 PM
There might be something interesting in here
http://files.mpoli.fi/software/DOS/
10-05-2016, 09:24 PM
Free Software
Oh, yes! This deserves a mention: DOS palmtop free software by Stefan Peichl.

http://hplx.pgdn.de/

... and this: Curtis Cameron's excellent games and utilities for the LX'es.

https://web.archive.org/web/200710121932....com/hplx/
08-26-2017, 02:27 PM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2017 03:35 PM by Helix.)
I don't think it has been mentioned in this forum, but the S.U.P.E.R. list of softwares can be downloaded here, and is also available online here. I don't know if all of the softwares are recorded.

For what it's worth, here is another site that I found interesting for a newcomer like me, especially the pages "compilers and assemblers" and "programming the Palmtop".

Jean-Charles
08-26-2017, 05:46 PM
Try this:
http://www.retroisle.com/others/hp95lx/software.php

Best program I did have for the 200LX was Buddy. It fixed lots of missing stuff for the LX series.
On the page above I only see it for 95LX.
08-26-2017, 07:24 PM
(08-26-2017 02:27 PM)Helix Wrote:  I don't think it has been mentioned in this forum, but the S.U.P.E.R. list of softwares can be downloaded here, and is also available online here. I don't know if all of the softwares are recorded.

For what it's worth, here is another site that I found interesting for a newcomer like me, especially the pages "compilers and assemblers" and "programming the Palmtop".

Hi Jean-Charles,

Thanks for posting this. I had wondered whether anyone had archived the SuperLX website and I now have it downloaded locally to my computer.

Bill
Smithville, NJ
08-26-2017, 07:26 PM
(08-26-2017 05:46 PM)Jotne Wrote:  Try this:
http://www.retroisle.com/others/hp95lx/software.php

Best program I did have for the 200LX was Buddy. It fixed lots of missing stuff for the LX series.
On the page above I only see it for 95LX.

The Buddy on the SuperLX site that Jean-Charles pointed us to is the one for the 100/200lx.

And I totally agree. Buddy is one of my required programs for the 200LX.

Bill
Smithville, NJ

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)