find the "seven" differences
08-17-2016, 12:10 AM
RE: find the "seven" differences
(08-16-2016 01:47 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  a) The CAS hardly changed since launch (other than bugfixes), so if it was a joke to you then, it should still be a joke today.

It changed quite a bit with regards to it's correctness. And I should know, since back then I reported a *lot* of incorrect results with the CAS and many other things, especially numerical integration. Some problems were corrected, some not and they still fail to this day...

Other than that, you should count the firmware updates since the launch of the HP-49G in 1999, not the HP-49G+... The development of the current firmware started on the HP-49G
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-17-2016, 08:09 PM
What a pisser. I just bought my Prime directly from HP to make sure I got the latest hardware on August 10th and I got the old (unreadable by this 58 year old) keyboard. Sad
08-19-2016, 11:05 PM
Sorry to hear that. There must be a whole slew of the pre-revision model in the warehouse that will need to be moved first. I wonder if it would be possible to specifically request the new version from customer service while placing an order on the phone? *shrug*

I see that Best Buy has the Prime on sale here in the US for $109.99, but I'm hesitant to get one, because I'm almost certain it will be the old stock. Of course at that price, it's a great deal, and I know I will eventually memorize the button layout, so... :-)

If I knew I could get the keyboard replaced eventually it wouldn't be such a difficult decision. I honestly have a hard time with the colors as they were.

Eric
08-19-2016, 11:39 PM
Best Buy has a 15 day unconditional return policy. Take a chance, and let us know!

-Dale-
08-20-2016, 01:20 AM
Thanks, I forgot that I can simply return it at my local store if it doesn't work out, so I placed an order. :-)

When checking out, I noticed that until 8/21/16 Best Buy has a $10 discount on $100+ orders if you use Visa Checkout, so I did that and ended up paying only $105.49 after taxes.

It should arrive sometime early next week, so I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Eric
08-20-2016, 09:37 AM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2016 09:38 AM by matthiaspaul.)
Some while back, Tim Wessman mentioned that the new 10077 firmware (2016-04-14) would support an alternative (same spec) touch panel, which would not be recognized by the older 8151 firmware:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-606...l#pid59469

While this may be only a communication issue between the touch panel and the firmware (different ID of the panel), there's at least a chance that it is also reflected in the hardware revision.

Different case colors are not software detectable, but given that this is now the second hardware change recognized within a span of just a few months, and the fact, that they are produced in batches, there is a chance that both were introduced at the same time and that it just took some time for them to hit the shelves and for users to recognize the differences.

So, do the new units still report hardware revision C? Are they still named G8X92AA?

Greetings,

Matthias

--
"Programs are poems for computers."
08-24-2016, 06:48 PM (This post was last modified: 08-24-2016 07:01 PM by ekeppel.)
Hi Folks,

My new Prime arrived from Best Buy today, and I'm pleased to report that it is the latest revision with the higher contrast keys! :-)

Here are the relevant bits of info on the About page of the calc:

Software Version: 2016 04 06 (10024)
Hardware Version: C
CAS Version: 1.1.2-11
Operating System: V0.042.570

The packaging shows the model number to still be G8X92AA#ABA, so no change there.

I'm very glad to have been able to get the updated calc from a major retailer. There are no guarantees that ordering direct from BB will get you the latest version, but that was my experience, so I hope this update is helpful to someone.

Eric

EDIT: Photos added as attachments. I decided to crop each photo and adjust the JPG compression individually until they were under 200K each. Hopefully these are good enough quality to be of use to everyone. :-)

08-24-2016, 08:47 PM (This post was last modified: 08-24-2016 09:16 PM by JT650.)
(08-24-2016 06:48 PM)ekeppel Wrote:  Hi Folks,

My new Prime arrived from Best Buy today, and I'm pleased to report that it is the latest revision with the higher contrast keys! :-)

Here are the relevant bits of info on the About page of the calc:

Software Version: 2016 04 06 (10024)
Hardware Version: C
CAS Version: 1.1.2-11
Operating System: V0.042.570

The packaging shows the model number to still be G8X92AA#ABA, so no change there.

I'm very glad to have been able to get the updated calc from a major retailer. There are no guarantees that ordering direct from BB will get you the latest version, but that was my experience, so I hope this update is helpful to someone.

Eric

EDIT: Photos added as attachments. I decided to crop each photo and adjust the JPG compression individually until they were under 200K each. Hopefully these are good enough quality to be of use to everyone. :-)

I can confirm this as well, however I got mine from a local Best Buy, with the two of the older "low contrast" models sitting with two of the newer "High Contrast" models on the shelf. The model number is identical as mentioned by ekeppel above (i.e. G8X92AA#ABA).

Pro tip, DO NOT UPDATE the calculator with the Prime Connectivity Kit... It bricks the touch screen. If you do, I followed this Link on the forum to the HP FTP site to download the "Newest" 20160414 Firmware:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-608...l#pid59966

Downloaded that version of Connectivity Kit, placed the zipped firmware files in the C:\Users\"UserName"\Documents\HP Connectivity Kit\Firmware folder, Updated Firmware in HP Connectivity Kit, and it works again.

Apparently, according to Tim Wessman (http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-608...l#pid60021), the touch screen mfg changed and thus firmware that works for the older Primes (I'll call them "Low Contrast") bricks the touchscreen on the "High Contrast" models.

Interesting side note, and maybe you can comment ekeppel, the package on my Prime had a small micro USB-sized cutout through the plastic above the USB port on the Prime... I guess they flashed it before it left the factory, but after it was blister-packed up?

[Image: file_zpsed2olpkg.jpg]

Cheers!

P.S. This is my first post, really. Excited to be here! I also own a 33s (gifted) and a 35s and learning the joys of RPN.
08-25-2016, 01:31 PM
(08-24-2016 08:47 PM)JT650 Wrote:  Interesting side note, and maybe you can comment ekeppel, the package on my Prime had a small micro USB-sized cutout through the plastic above the USB port on the Prime... I guess they flashed it before it left the factory, but after it was blister-packed up?

Mine came the same way. That's a pretty smart idea to build into the packaging. It certainly would make it easier for them to bring the calc up to spec with the latest firmware before shipping.

I wonder how they would easily turn the power on to do that, though. I guess if you press hard enough on the lower left front of the package you could power the calc on without removing it. Turning it on is one thing, but it looks like it would be a pain to turn back off while in the package.

Maybe they just let it automatically power off? *shrug*

Eric
08-25-2016, 02:56 PM (This post was last modified: 08-25-2016 02:57 PM by Tim Wessman.)
(08-25-2016 01:31 PM)ekeppel Wrote:  Mine came the same way. That's a pretty smart idea to build into the packaging. It certainly would make it easier for them to bring the calc up to spec with the latest firmware before shipping.

Yes, this is the exact purpose. Rather then needing to open the packaging and then repackage it anew, you can just plug in a usb cable and update. Even allows distributors in places away from the factory to update if they choose to do so. Also, to charge it up some if its been sitting on a shelf for a long time.

There is normally a small little plastic plug thing to close it in, but sometimes that can fall off during shipping.

You don't really need to have access to the power buttons or any keys provided the system is working. The update doesn't need access to anything except the USB port for the update to succeed.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
08-25-2016, 06:28 PM
Does anybody know the difference between software revision 10077 (latest update) and 10024 for the new calculator?

— Dirk Hartland
08-25-2016, 06:32 PM
(08-25-2016 06:28 PM)Dirk.nl Wrote:  Does anybody know the difference between software revision 10077 (latest update) and 10024 for the new calculator?

Here are the release notes from 10077. This should what you are looking for.

Eric

.txt  10077 release_info.txt (Size: 51.16 KB / Downloads: 20)
08-25-2016, 07:23 PM (This post was last modified: 08-25-2016 07:24 PM by Tim Wessman.)
(08-25-2016 06:28 PM)Dirk.nl Wrote:  Does anybody know the difference between software revision 10077 (latest update) and 10024 for the new calculator?

Basically, if I remember correctly the was one or two minor punctuation differences in the help somewhere we corrected before posting the files to the HP site. The files to the factory had to go in a while sooner. If you are on r10024 from the factory, I'd just wait until/when/if a new version is posted.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
08-25-2016, 08:47 PM
Thanks Tim!!

— Dirk Hartland
08-26-2016, 04:37 PM
I just came across an eBay auction with the new revision of the Prime, and the box shows that there is indeed a new model number. It is G8X92AA#ABM for those who are interested.

I'm not sure why mine has the old model number on the packaging. Maybe just old packaging.

Eric

08-26-2016, 04:41 PM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2016 04:54 PM by JT650.)
(08-26-2016 04:37 PM)ekeppel Wrote:  I just came across an eBay auction with the new revision of the Prime, and the box shows that there is indeed a new model number. It is G8X92AA#ABM for those who are interested.

I'm not sure why mine has the old model number on the packaging. Maybe just old packaging.

Eric

I recall reading on another thread (or maybe HP's Forum site) that anything after the hashtag is a region code...

Let's see if i can find the link...

EDIT1: Link here to the eBay listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-HP-Pri...Sw6n5Xvzi5
Notice how the packaging is in English and Spanish, while the #ABA are just in English?

[Image: s-l1600.jpg]

EDIT2: And there is a listing to another one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Prime-Calcula...Sw5VFWLuht
That appears to be an EU code, as it's still a "low contrast" model, but has a different # (#B1S)

[Image: s-l1600.jpg]
08-26-2016, 06:21 PM
ABA: United States
ABM: Latin America

Here's a list:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/h/0018.asp
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-26-2016, 06:29 PM
Ok, sub-models for different markets makes perfect sense.. Thanks for keying me in on that. :-)

Eric
09-07-2016, 12:52 AM
Out of curiosity, is there a known way to tell which key colors a unit has without having the other sample present to visually compare? I'm guessing from the photos that my unit has the old colors. Fortunately, I don't personally have huge difficulty reading them, except the orange labels under sodium-vapor lighting. Tongue
12-04-2016, 09:24 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2016 09:25 AM by Stevetuc.)
Hi Tim

Any thoughts regarding provision of a key replacement kit for those wanting to update their low contrast models?
My eyesight isn't going to improve and with the winter evenings coming on here in uk i fear the prime keyboard will soon become totally invisible..

I'm guessing any members of this forum will be more than equal to task of dis/assembly.

Thanks

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)