CH1.DIR on 50g CD: How to STO on calc
08-17-2016, 06:28 AM
CH1.DIR on 50g CD: How to STO on calc
Within the "Advanced Users Reference" directory on the CD that comes with the 50g, there are 4 files:

CH1.DIR
CH2.DIR
HP 50g AUR.pdf
readme.txt

The readme says the 2 *.DIR files can be transferred to the 50g via SD card, which I confirmed is true. But that readme is deficient in that it doesn't say how to use STO to save that into the 50g's system RAM.

I first copied the 2 files to my SD then put the SD into the 50g. I then used left-arrow & APPS to access FILES, where I can see "SD." I highlight that and press F6 (OK). Then I see the contents. I highlight CH1.DIR and press F4 (RCL), which puts it on the stack.

The data starts off as:

DIR
VOL << 3 ^ π * 4 3 / * ->NUM >>
SPH << ...

If I then type a zero "0" and subsequently push the STO button, I get the following error:

STO Error:
Bad Argument Type

I tried "1" instead of "0" but I get the same error.

The CH1.DIR is rather big at 2k, but I don't think that has anything to do with the error. I must assume there is some way to store it on the calculator, and it's terrible unfortunately that readme.txt file is so lacking in information that it doesn't guide the user to know how to store it, hence this thread.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated. (I'm still new to the 50g, so please be gentle.)

Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-17-2016, 01:40 PM (This post was last modified: 08-17-2016 01:41 PM by wojtek.)
RE: CH1.DIR on 50g CD: How to STO on calc
I have no this CD, so I can give general remarks only.
DIR
VOL <<......>>
SPH
is the contents of a directory displayed as text, so it cannot be executed

VOL <<....>> is a program code in text format to calculate volume of a sphera. If you'd like to execute it just put radius on the stack, then retype the code of VOL <<...>> and press Enter. Then press EVAL and you'll get the volume.

"Bad argument type" error you get because you tried to save with STO something to a variable with the name "0".
Variable name cannot begin with a digit. Try another name, "A0" for example and it should be OK.
08-17-2016, 06:25 PM
(08-17-2016 06:28 AM)JDW Wrote:  The data starts off as:

DIR
VOL << 3 ^ π * 4 3 / * ->NUM >>
SPH << ...

I'm guessing this is just a directory object, so all you need to do is store it to a variable name somewhere in your HOME directory tree and it will become a subdirectory at that point.

Paul
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-17-2016, 07:59 PM
(08-17-2016 06:25 PM)pdo Wrote:  ...all you need to do is store it to a variable name somewhere in your HOME directory tree and it will become a subdirectory at that point.

Thank you, Paul. That was the solution!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)