Thoughts on the Andro1xC simulators?
03-28-2016, 07:57 PM
Thoughts on the Andro1xC simulators?
Haven't found a lot in the Forums discussing this excellent work.

Since Olivier de Smet does not seem to be supporting most of his Android emulators anymore, in particular the Voyageur series, I have been keen for alternatives and think I have found them in Andro11c, Andro12c, and Andro15c.

There are free versions of these but I have found it well worth it to spend the modest amount to get the paid versions which look better and have added features, including the very important ability to save and load program memory.

The are actually simulators as opposed to emulators, but as they are written in JavaScript they run more slowly in "fast" mode than, say, Free42, which is in C++. But they look great, are easy to use accurately with an adequate size screen (I have a Galaxy S6 edge+), and in for the most part faithfully mimic the function of the originals. They compute everything to double precision, which makes for more accurate programs. They are being actively supported by the developer, who maintains a Facebook page and seems keen to respond to inquiries regarding bugs and suggested improvements.

Free42 by far and away remains my favourite simulation of an HP keystroke programmable, with its huge capabilities, cross-platform implementation, insane speed, numerous ways to get HP41 and HP42 programs into the app thanks to easy-to-use utilities to compile RAW files from text listings and vice versa, and of course Thomas Okken's ongoing commitment to the project over a decade later. But as one fascinated with the Voyageurs for nostalgic reasons I really think that the Andro1xC series (and its analogues for iOS) are pretty sweet. If Olivier's goXX apps fall into non-function with future Android updates, the Andro1xC series may be the best that's left.

Any thoughts on or experiences with these apps?

Regards,

Les
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-28-2016, 09:03 PM
RE: Thoughts on the Andro1xC simulators?
I have been using the free version of Andro11c for a short while and so far, I like it very much. It's fast and simple to use. It shows actual calculations instead of 'running'.
05-06-2016, 06:17 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2016 06:18 PM by Marcio.)
I think the update released two days ago (May the 4th) brought new bugs. I didn't have much time to investigate this in detail but if you press \(\sum +\) while in user mode, it will mess the registers R1-R6.
Also, f CLEAR \(\sum\) will clear the stack AND all registers. I don't think the original 11c has any of these.
05-07-2016, 03:58 PM
Hi all,

I know that there is some problem with saturn emulation and android 6.
As usual, google break compatibility at each major release. I have already made corrections for go4(8/9) series.
For other saturn based emulator there is still work to do, sorry for the delay.
I will try to fix first the go71 (I just received a real android device with android 6.0.1 to make tests)

For the go1xc ones what is the problem ? You told that you need to try other simulators.
As they are based on the go41 code which is working, what is the problem ?
05-07-2016, 07:07 PM
(05-07-2016 03:58 PM)Oulan Wrote:  Hi all,

I know that there is some problem with saturn emulation and android 6.
As usual, google break compatibility at each major release. I have already made corrections for go4(8/9) series.
For other saturn based emulator there is still work to do, sorry for the delay.
I will try to fix first the go71 (I just received a real android device with android 6.0.1 to make tests)

For the go1xc ones what is the problem ? You told that you need to try other simulators.
As they are based on the go41 code which is working, what is the problem ?

go71b doesn't work on Android 5.01 either. It is very disappointing that there was no way to establish contact with you. See my rant here.

Günter
05-07-2016, 07:17 PM
I confirm on Galaxy S3, Android 4.3, go71b works OK,

on S5, 5.0, go71b refuses to start.
05-08-2016, 04:48 PM
I bought amelo consulting 15c. Very satisfied.

Andro11c has a bigger display font, I like it but the free version has annoying ad's, so I will stick with the amelo consulting one.

JL
05-08-2016, 04:49 PM
(05-07-2016 07:17 PM)Gerald H Wrote:  I confirm on Galaxy S3, Android 4.3, go71b works OK,

on S5, 5.0, go71b refuses to start.

1 + here
05-08-2016, 04:58 PM
(05-08-2016 04:48 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  I bought amelo consulting 15c. Very satisfied.

Andro11c has a bigger display font, I like it but the free version has annoying ad's, so I will stick with the amelo consulting one.

JL

Later on I found out most bugs in the 15C app by HP itself are UI related so I came to trust it again. Andro11C (free version) is quite nice but things are not exactly the same, so for one that is used to the 15C, there are a few tricks to keep in mind. BTW, the ads on Andro11c depend on the internet to work, so I usually turn that off (which helps saving battery life by a lot).
05-08-2016, 05:27 PM
(05-08-2016 04:58 PM)Marcio Wrote:  
(05-08-2016 04:48 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  I bought amelo consulting 15c. Very satisfied.

JL

Later on I found out most bugs in the 15C app by HP itself are UI related so I came to trust it again. Andro11C (free version) is quite nice but things are not exactly the same, so for one that is used to the 15C, there are a few tricks to keep in mind. BTW, the ads on Andro11c depend on the internet to work, so I usually turn that off (which helps saving battery life by a lot).

Yes Marcio, you are right, I'm so used to be connected that I forget that it's possible to be offline and do things at same time!

The calculations in the display during program execution is amazing!

I will buy the andro15c and see if it's make justice to the original 15c.

Cheers

JL
03-24-2017, 08:29 AM
Sorry if off topic, I'm looking for a 'free' version of the HP-27S for my Android. We have a problem, here in South Africa, with on-line payments.
04-29-2019, 07:07 AM
I'm using Oliver's GO27S on my phone, & love it.
Is it at all possible to change the 'look' of the calculator to make it more realistic, just like the PC version?

Kind Regards,
Robin
04-29-2019, 02:51 PM
(04-29-2019 07:07 AM)zswobbie12 Wrote:  I'm using Oliver's GO27S on my phone, & love it.
Is it at all possible to change the 'look' of the calculator to make it more realistic, just like the PC version?
I like mine less realistic so the current one is perfect for me. I guess you can't please everyone...

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)