Trouble updating Prime firmware
02-25-2015, 10:29 AM
Trouble updating Prime firmware
I'm trying to update the Prime firmware, but with no success.

I have the HP Connectivity Kit Build 2014 12 3 Rev. 6975, installed on a Lenovo Thinkpad X240 with Windows 7 installed.

When connecting the Prime with a USB cable, the Prime shows up with its given name, variables and programs, and editing programs in the Conn. kit works fine (edits show up on the Prime). The prime shows up in the "Devices and Printers" control panel as "HP Prime Calculator".

The firmware update 210141203 was downloaded by the Conn. kit and it suggests to update the Prime with this firmware. The dialog shows my Prime with the number 20130813, which I guess is the date of the installed firmware.

When I press "Update" from this dialog (which can also be brought up by choosing "Update firmware" from the right-click menu on the calculator in the device tree), the following happens:

- A Windows dialog "User Account Control" asks if I want to give the program named "Updater Utility" permission to make changes to the computer. I choose "Yes"
- The device "HP Prime Calculator" is replaced with one called "Prime update" in the "Devices and Printers" control panel
- A dialog named "Firmware update" appears, with the text "Waiting for connection" followed by a varying number of periods.
- The Prime screen shows the HP logo and the text "HP Prime recovery mode V13."

That's all. No progress ever from this point, and only a paperclip reset registers with the Prime. When doing this, the "Prime update" device disappears, and as the Prime has rebooted, the "HP Prime calculator" device reappears.

Any clues as to what I can try next?

Cheers,
--Tom G
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-25-2015, 04:49 PM
RE: Trouble updating Prime firmware
Two things:

1. Close the connkit, put it in update mode directly (holding SYMB while the boot happens), and then once in update mode start the connkit.
2. Use a different USB port. Certain USB configurations/ports/usb3 seem to cause misbehavior sometimes.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
02-25-2015, 11:12 PM
(02-25-2015 04:49 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Two things:

1. Close the connkit, put it in update mode directly (holding SYMB while the boot happens), and then once in update mode start the connkit.
2. Use a different USB port. Certain USB configurations/ports/usb3 seem to cause misbehavior sometimes.

I have tried this now, still no success. When I put the Prime in update mode (assuming this is the same as indicated by "recovery mode" on the Prime's screen) it never appears in the list of devices in the connkit (or, if it was connected before rebooting to update mode, it disappears.)

There are only two USB ports on this laptop, behaviour is the same for both.

More ideas?
02-26-2015, 12:36 AM (This post was last modified: 02-26-2015 12:38 AM by matthiaspaul.)
(02-25-2015 11:12 PM)tom grydeland Wrote:  There are only two USB ports on this laptop, behaviour is the same for both.
And both are USB 3.0 ports according to the Thinkpad X240's specs. Since Tim hinted, that some USB 3.0 ports are not 100% compatible (and I can confirm that faulty USB 3.0 implementations exist), I would suggest to try it on a computer with USB 2.x ports, instead.

Alternatively, you may be able to work around problems by disabling the USB 3.0 drivers in your operating system.

Good luck,

Matthias

--
"Programs are poems for computers."
02-26-2015, 03:03 PM
I had the same problem with my new Dell laptop. It's the USB 3.0 ports. Fortunately, I have a docking station with USB 2.0 and updates work fine.
03-02-2015, 12:48 PM
(02-26-2015 12:36 AM)matthiaspaul Wrote:  
(02-25-2015 11:12 PM)tom grydeland Wrote:  There are only two USB ports on this laptop, behaviour is the same for both.
And both are USB 3.0 ports according to the Thinkpad X240's specs. Since Tim hinted, that some USB 3.0 ports are not 100% compatible (and I can confirm that faulty USB 3.0 implementations exist), I would suggest to try it on a computer with USB 2.x ports, instead.

I tried another computer, with no more success. Turns out this one (Getac V100) also has two USB 3.0 ports, neither of which work. I guess I wasn't meant to update my Prime.

(02-26-2015 12:36 AM)matthiaspaul Wrote:  Alternatively, you may be able to work around problems by disabling the USB 3.0 drivers in your operating system.

On the second laptop, I did try disabling the USB 3.0 drivers, using the device manager. That only resulted in the USB ports being completely disabled.

Windows never has been, and never will be, my operating system.

(02-26-2015 12:36 AM)matthiaspaul Wrote:  Good luck,

Matthias

Thanks, I think I'll waste no more time on this now. Hoping that HP will release a conn. kit for Mac or Linux one of these days.

Cheers,

--Tom G
03-03-2015, 09:46 AM
(02-26-2015 03:03 PM)mbeddo Wrote:  I had the same problem with my new Dell laptop. It's the USB 3.0 ports. Fortunately, I have a docking station with USB 2.0 and updates work fine.

Same here, on my laptop with USB 2.0 it worked just fine! Smile

Product Manager HP for MORAVIA Consulting, the EMEA & AP Licensee for HP Calculators.

http://www.hpcalcs.com
03-03-2015, 12:38 PM
Okay, I managed to borrow yet another laptop (TP X220) and here the update worked on the first attempt. Now at software rev. 6975.

So, add another couple of data points to the catalogue of USB 3.0 implementations which won't talk to the Prime: Lenovo TP X240 and Getac V100.

Given that the Prime appears and can be addressed over USB 3.0 ports when not in recovery mode, is there a chance that this problem with USB 3.0 when upgrading can be worked around?

Cheers,

--Tom G
03-08-2015, 01:19 AM
You must use a 2.0 USB to update. I have an Asus Zenbook, all three ports are 3.0, so i used a friends computer to update.
04-30-2016, 12:58 AM
I can confirm using a 2.0 hub worked when plugged into a usb 3.0 port. Interestingly the usb 2.0 ports on my motherboard wouldn't work by themselves.

I used this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F5U407-4-Po...B005UUY25E
04-30-2016, 01:06 AM
Hi!:

HP Prime Graphing Calculators - Unable, to Update Firmware, on Some, USB 3.0 Ports.

Solution, from ... http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04674521

Kind, Regards.
informach.
04-30-2016, 09:23 AM
To get around the USB3 problem, would connecting a USB2 hub into a USB3 port fix the problem??
Or would the USB3 still get in the way?

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-30-2016, 12:50 PM
(04-30-2016 09:23 AM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  To get around the USB3 problem, would connecting a USB2 hub into a USB3 port fix the problem??
Or would the USB3 still get in the way?

That is what I said I did (sorry if it wasn't clear). I connected my usb2 hub into the usb3 port on my computer and it just worked.
05-01-2016, 06:06 AM
HP came up with a fix for the HP50/49G Connectivity Kit USB driver so that it works fine now with both USB2.0/3.0 ports. I wonder why they can't do the same with the Prime CK?
05-01-2016, 02:27 PM
Hi!, John Colvin:

The solution, you have it reflected, in the link, what I wrote, in a previous post. Today most USB3 devices, are using, the port, as standard, as it provides greater performance in communications, by this way. However, if you buy a USB2 high-speed cable, you'll get close, if you have only USB2. Look at the picture attached, to the application.

Kind Regards.
informach.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

05-01-2016, 08:11 PM
(05-01-2016 02:27 PM)informach Wrote:  Hi!, John Colvin:

The solution, you have it reflected, in the link, what I wrote, in a previous post. Today most USB3 devices, are using, the port, as standard, as it provides greater performance in communications, by this way. However, if you buy a USB2 high-speed cable, you'll get close, if you have only USB2. Look at the picture attached, to the application.

Kind Regards.
informach.
The USB3.0 connectivity problem has nothing to do with the cable. It is either the Prime firmware or the CK USB driver since I get an 'unrecognized device' message when the CK tries to connect to the Prime. The HP fix you showed in your thumbnail picture is of no help because the device does not even show up on the list. I just purchased a cheap USB2.0 hub from Amazon that will work until this issue gets fixed.
05-11-2016, 08:21 PM
This reply is not about helping with the original problem that started this thread. My problem is related but different.

I know my computer, cable, and Prime are compatible because I have performed a couple of firmware updates already without any difficulty. I like to keep the connectivity kit, virtual calculator, and real calculator up to date. I had no problem last week when I updated the kit and the virtual calculator. My problem occurred with the real calculator. I followed the usual procedure and the progress dialog on the computer and the calculator were fine at the start been then I started getting a stream of the same error message repeated over and over again on the calculator. It was beeping, too, each time. This occurred every couple of seconds. I finally (reluctantly) disconnected the device after a couple of minutes.

Now it starts with the HP logo and then displays the quadratic equation. I am also now unable to connect the calculator to the kit on my computer. I have searched the HP Forums for a solution. Older threads indicate a number of solutions that are supposed to always work (e.g., press C-F-O and insert paper clip into hardware reset button) but it go to a new mode where I can recover.

I searched here already but didn't find any help. If I missed a thread with help, please direct me to it. I am really sad to have a new brick on my desk and want to make it better.

Thanks!
05-11-2016, 09:22 PM
Hi!, mark4flies:

Try, uninstall and erased, all data, in register, from PC, notebook, etc ...
You can use ... Advanced Uninstaller PRO (Free), from ... http://www.advanceduninstaller.com

Then, install Firmware, Connectivity kit and Virtual Emulator, from ... http://ftp.ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Prime/

Now, with installed Connectivity kit, connect your HP PRIME and download the Firmware.

Note: If nothing happen, try, install, the firmware, from other PC or, netbook.
05-11-2016, 10:12 PM
(05-11-2016 08:21 PM)mark4flies Wrote:  are supposed to always work (e.g., press C-F-O and insert paper clip into hardware reset button) but it go to a new mode where I can recover.

Hold down SYMB, paper clip with SYMB held down, and then with symb still held down, plug in the USB. (the goal is to have the unit "start" with SYMB down)

You will then see the "recovery" screen and can open the connkit to run the update again.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
05-12-2016, 12:36 PM
This approach worked, eventually. I could not get into recovery mode and somehow missed the sequence of SYMB + Reset. I got to Recovery Mode V13. So far, so good. I started the connectivity hit and plugged in the calculator. It connected and I was asked if I wanted to update. Yes! However, it stopped about 10% into the first step and stalled as before. The connectivity kit reported nothing. The calculator reported "error: unknown command 14" so I unplugged it. It went back to the quadratic equation.

I tried this sequence several more times with the same result so I quit.

I thought that there might be something wrong with the update files. I went to the folder with the data files, removed Firmware, went to Temp and extracted the folder for the latest firmware, put it in place of the original Firmware folder and renamed it.

I also checked preferences and discovered an unselected option to use the "new update method." Never heard about it!

I restarted the update sequence (i.e., recovery mode, connect, et cetera) and this time all proceeded as normal. My Prime is back as good as new! I don't know if it was a problem with the original Firmware folder contents or not using the new update method.

Really appreciate the help here.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)