WP 34S --> WP 31S
02-20-2014, 03:58 AM
RE: WP 34S --> WP 31S
(02-20-2014 03:32 AM)Sanjeev Visvanatha Wrote:  Did you grab the latest main.c file? You will need that to build a proper flashable image for the hardware.
I presume I did. I did an 'svn update' before compiling things and it indicated it was up to date. And my build worked fine (once I adjusted the registers). I've been playing around with it and it seems to work fine (so far)!

(02-20-2014 03:32 AM)Sanjeev Visvanatha Wrote:  The image file for my overlay is Walter's image file he made for this project (*).
Ah... I did not understand that you were just scaling down his emulator image!
I'll try that, thanks.

-Jonathan
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-21-2014, 06:31 AM
It took me a while to figure it out, but commands like CLALL which require a confirmation now take "Y" (the 2 key) as the confirmation.

-Jonathan
02-21-2014, 06:36 AM
(02-21-2014 06:31 AM)Jonathan Cameron Wrote:  It took me a while to figure it out, but commands like CLALL which require a confirmation now take "Y" (the 2 key) as the confirmation.

What else did you expect? There's some logic still.

d:-)
Find all posts by this user
02-21-2014, 06:40 AM
(02-21-2014 06:36 AM)walter b Wrote:  
(02-21-2014 06:31 AM)Jonathan Cameron Wrote:  It took me a while to figure it out, but commands like CLALL which require a confirmation now take "Y" (the 2 key) as the confirmation.
What else did you expect? There's some logic still.

Yes. I felt a bit silly when I figured that out since it was pretty obvious in retrospect.

-Jonathan
02-21-2014, 11:34 PM
With build 3494, the WP 31S emulator looks very nice. Jonathan and Sanjeev did a good job for sure. Needs some minor fine tuning, but seems becoming a very usable entry model. Please test and play (or vice versa) Smile

For flashing, everything will work as for the WP 34S - just you take the bin file from another branch.

For a temporary keyboard overlay, please turn to p. 170 of the manual and proceed in full analogy. Enjoy!

02-21-2014, 11:38 PM
(02-21-2014 11:34 PM)walter b Wrote:  With build 3494, the WP 31S emulator looks very nice. Jonathan and Sanjeev did a good job for sure. Needs some minor fine tuning, but seems becoming a very usable entry model. Please test and play (or vice versa) Smile

Thanks Walter, but Sanjeev's name should go first! He did almost all of the work. Nice job, Sanjeev!

-Jonathan
02-22-2014, 12:06 AM
(02-21-2014 11:34 PM)walter b Wrote:  With build 3494, the WP 31S emulator looks very nice. Jonathan and Sanjeev did a good job for sure. Needs some minor fine tuning, but seems becoming a very usable entry model. Please test and play (or vice versa) Smile

For flashing, everything will work as for the WP 34S - just you take the bin file from another branch.

For a temporary keyboard overlay, please turn to p. 170 of the manual and proceed in full analogy. Enjoy!

Thank you Walter. The 30S playground I had served well in terms of learning the code for 34S. I look forward to any comments you have. I know for sure that Catalog entries and navigation need to be verified. I appreciate some comments in this area. Also, changing the number of registers has not worked for me yet (see a previous post of mine in this very thread). If that is not a hard requirement, then 31S is mostly complete.

If you have additional layout changes as a result of playing around with 31S, please let me know - I am more than happy to rework things as necessary to realize the design.

Also - I love the fact that the up and down arrows work as Roll as well as Catalog navigation. A very efficient use of expensive keyboard space! I may very well make a 31S a part of my 'Engineering toolbox'.

-- Sanjeev Visvanatha
02-22-2014, 12:07 AM
(02-21-2014 11:38 PM)Jonathan Cameron Wrote:  

Thanks Walter, but Sanjeev's name should go first! He did almost all of the work. Nice job, Sanjeev!

-Jonathan

Thank you!

-- Sanjeev Visvanatha
02-22-2014, 04:00 AM (This post was last modified: 02-22-2014 04:01 AM by Sanjeev Visvanatha.)
There is a new BIN file for testing the WP 31S on SourceForge for any interested individuals:

https://sourceforge.net/p/wp34s/code/HEA...d/calc.bin (Revision 3505)

Use Walter's emulator image, and QRC:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-576...ml#pid4998

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/attachment.php?aid=316

Enjoy.

-- Sanjeev Visvanatha
03-04-2014, 03:30 PM
(02-22-2014 04:00 AM)Sanjeev Visvanatha Wrote:  There is a new BIN file for testing the WP 31S on SourceForge for any interested individuals:

I have flashed my calculator with rev 3515 and have played with it a bit.
A assume "-> RAD" is supposed to convert degrees to radians, but it doesn't do anything (as far as I can tell).
"-> DEG" works as expected and converts radians to degrees.

Thanks for the work you have done to create the WP34S' little brother!
If there was a proper overlay for it (Eric? Maybe you could do a small production run of these?) I would definitely add a WP31S or two to the collection.

Cheers,
Harald
03-04-2014, 05:09 PM
(02-22-2014 04:00 AM)Sanjeev Visvanatha Wrote:  There is a new BIN file for testing the WP 31S on SourceForge for any interested individuals:

Apparently all the registers are available as they are in the WP34s.
I know there was discussion about reducing the number of registers to 10 to save keystrokes (I personally don't think this is necessary) , but what about the registers X, Y, Z, T, A, B, C, D, I, J, K, and L?

Most of them don't seem to make sense anymore for a non programmable calculator.
The only one that really makes sense is L, but wouldn't it be nicer to have a LastX key for this, maybe instead of "FILL"l?

The special registers can be addressed in the same way as on the WP34s. However it is a bit odd to find that "ENTER" puts the WP31S into alpha mode without mentioning alpha mode on the key.
While we are at it, what are the alpha labels used for on the WP31S anyway? Maybe using registers A to Z (as on the HP32S) and a dedicated LastX would be an option?
That would save keystrokes as well but preserve more then 10 registers for general use.

Cheers,
Harald
03-04-2014, 06:40 PM
(03-04-2014 05:09 PM)Harald Wrote:  Apparently all the registers are available as they are in the WP34s.
I know there was discussion about reducing the number of registers to 10 to save keystrokes (I personally don't think this is necessary) , but what about the registers X, Y, Z, T, A, B, C, D, I, J, K, and L?

Most of them don't seem to make sense anymore for a non programmable calculator.

Please allow me to disagree. X, ..., D, and L make sense for obvious reasons. I & J are used for distribution parameters. K is an extra general purpose register.

Quote:The only one that really makes sense is L, but wouldn't it be nicer to have a LastX key for this, maybe instead of "FILL"l?

The special registers can be addressed in the same way as on the WP34s. However it is a bit odd to find that "ENTER" puts the WP31S into alpha mode without mentioning alpha mode on the key.

There will be a manual for the 31S explaining also that.

Quote:While we are at it, what are the alpha labels used for on the WP31S anyway?

For navigation in catalogs, for example. Think of CONV and CONST if it helps.

Quote:Maybe using registers A to Z (as on the HP32S) and a dedicated LastX would be an option?
That would save keystrokes as well but preserve more then 10 registers for general use.

The 31S is a strict subset of the 34S (one and only exception is UNDO). We feature neither registers E through H nor M through S nor U, V, W on the 34S. For an entry-level non-programmable scientific, 13 to 17 registers are sufficient IMHO. And comparing f LASTx to RCL L, I don't see where you save keystrokes.

d:-?
03-04-2014, 10:17 PM
(03-04-2014 06:40 PM)walter b Wrote:  Please allow me to disagree. X, ..., D, and L make sense for obvious reasons. I & J are used for distribution parameters. K is an extra general purpose register.

J & K are for the statistical distributions. I is a general purpose register.

- Pauli
03-04-2014, 11:01 PM
(03-04-2014 03:30 PM)Harald Wrote:  I have flashed my calculator with rev 3515 and have played with it a bit.
A assume "-> RAD" is supposed to convert degrees to radians, but it doesn't do anything (as far as I can tell).
"-> DEG" works as expected and converts radians to degrees.

Thanks for the work you have done to create the WP34S' little brother!
If there was a proper overlay for it (Eric? Maybe you could do a small production run of these?) I would definitely add a WP31S or two to the collection.

Glad that you have flashed some hardware, and are testing!

->DEG and ->RAD should work as in 34S, whereby they convert from the current angular mode to the intended one. Therefore, it should do nothing if the current angular mode is the same as the one you are asking to convert to. At least, this is how I understand the function from reading the 34S manual.

I heard through the grapevine that Eric is willing to do some overlays, but I would hold off until things settle more.

-- Sanjeev Visvanatha
03-05-2014, 04:46 AM
(03-04-2014 10:17 PM)Paul Dale Wrote:  J & K are for the statistical distributions. I is a general purpose register.

Thanks for correcting Smile

03-05-2014, 04:47 AM
If you would like to try the current QtGui Linux version of WP-31s, I have a compiled version ready for you to test. It was compiled today on Ubuntu 12.04 (64 bit) with SVN version 3537. Here is a tar file that you can download that contains the executable and a few necessary media files. The URL is:

http://jmcameron.net/wp/wp-31s-2014-03-04.tar.gz

Untar it into a directory and then execute the WP-31s executable in the resulting directory.

-Jonathan
03-05-2014, 08:21 AM
(03-04-2014 11:01 PM)Sanjeev Visvanatha Wrote:  ->DEG and ->RAD should work as in 34S, whereby they convert from the current angular mode to the intended one. Therefore, it should do nothing if the current angular mode is the same as the one you are asking to convert to. At least, this is how I understand the function from reading the 34S manual.
OK, that was my mistake. Didn't read the manual ;-) Just assumed it would work both ways, as that would be usefull. I ususally convert manually anyway though.

Quote:I heard through the grapevine that Eric is willing to do some overlays, but I would hold off until things settle more.
That would be great Smile
03-05-2014, 08:46 AM
(03-04-2014 06:40 PM)walter b Wrote:  Please allow me to disagree. X, ..., D, and L make sense for obvious reasons. I & J are used for distribution parameters. K is an extra general purpose register.

Ok, allow me to disagree as well Smile
While X, Y, Z, T and T need to be present for obvious reasons, there is no real need for them to be accessible via STO and RCL. Stack manipulations are useful for programming, aren't they?
We probably won't agree on A, B, C and D. They are for the 8 level stack, which in my opinion is only necessary for complex mode. I assumed an 8 level stack wasn't available on the WP32s as it (regrettably) doesn't support complex numbers. But I now noticed it is available.

Quote:The special registers can be addressed in the same way as on the WP34s. However it is a bit odd to find that "ENTER" puts the WP31S into alpha mode without mentioning alpha mode on the key.

Quote:There will be a manual for the 31S explaining also that.

I'm looking forward to the manual Smile

Quote:Maybe using registers A to Z (as on the HP32S) and a dedicated LastX would be an option?

Quote:The 31S is a strict subset of the 34S (one and only exception is UNDO). We feature neither registers E through H nor M through S nor U, V, W on the 34S. For an entry-level non-programmable scientific, 13 to 17 registers are sufficient IMHO. And comparing f LASTx to RCL L, I don't see where you save keystrokes.
The keystrokes would of course be saved by for example typing <RCL> <V> instead of something like <RCL> <0> <7>.
No keystrokes saved on LastX
03-05-2014, 09:06 AM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2014 11:25 AM by walter b.)
(03-05-2014 08:46 AM)Harald Wrote:  
(03-04-2014 06:40 PM)walter b Wrote:  Please allow me to disagree. X, ..., D, and L make sense for obvious reasons.

Ok, allow me to disagree as well Smile
While X, Y, Z, T and T need to be present for obvious reasons, there is no real need for them to be accessible via STO and RCL. Stack manipulations are useful for programming, aren't they?

Correct, though direct access doesn't hurt, does it?

Harald Wrote:We probably won't agree on A, B, C and D. They are for the 8 level stack, which in my opinion is only necessary for complex mode.

That's an old story. I admitted I (ab)used complex 'mode' just as the entrance gate for an 8-level stack. In real life real calculations, 4 levels are tight sometimes. With 8 levels, I don't have to worry about possible stack overflow - it simply won't happen. That's the main benefit of the larger stack. YMMV

Harald Wrote:
walter b Wrote:
Harald Wrote:Maybe using registers A to Z (as on the HP32S) and a dedicated LastX would be an option?

The 31S is a strict subset of the 34S (one and only exception is UNDO). We feature neither registers E through H nor M through S nor U, V, W on the 34S. For an entry-level non-programmable scientific, 13 to 17 registers are sufficient IMHO. And comparing f LASTx to RCL L, I don't see where you save keystrokes.

The keystrokes would of course be saved by for example typing <RCL> <V> instead of something like <RCL> <0> <7>.

There won't be anything like <RCL> <0> <7>. There will be only 10 numeric registers.

03-08-2014, 09:50 AM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2014 09:52 AM by walter b.)
RE: WP 34S --> WP 31S (current state of the black art)
That's the (all black) state of the art now:

Just FYI.

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)