Perhaps a Prime Problem
01-22-2016, 06:55 PM
Perhaps a Prime Problem
I just bought a new Prime (they're on sale) to try to get some more speed in some computations that I do on an HP 50. My experience has not been very good so far. I.. When I plugged the USB cable into my computer (to download software as the manual suggested), the computer quit and will not turn on. I don't know if this is a common problem. It will be some time before I try to connect to another computer. I'm hoping the Prime doesn't require a PC connection because I probably will not provide it. Meanwhile, I'm trying to diagnose what happened; most likely the power supply blew. It's an old but expensive PC so I may find that the Prime's cost runs in the thousands and was an unsuccessful experiment
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-22-2016, 08:14 PM
RE: Perhaps a Prime Problem
(01-22-2016 06:55 PM)ttw Wrote:  I just bought a new Prime (they're on sale) to try to get some more speed in some computations that I do on an HP 50. My experience has not been very good so far. I.. When I plugged the USB cable into my computer (to download software as the manual suggested), the computer quit and will not turn on. I don't know if this is a common problem. It will be some time before I try to connect to another computer. I'm hoping the Prime doesn't require a PC connection because I probably will not provide it. Meanwhile, I'm trying to diagnose what happened; most likely the power supply blew. It's an old but expensive PC so I may find that the Prime's cost runs in the thousands and was an unsuccessful experiment

Under normal circumstances (i.e. using a PC that is in good, running order), one should:

1. install the connectivity kit found on the enclosed CD/DVD
2. update the connectivity kit (it should just prompt you to allow it to update the first time you run it)
3. connect the calculator to the PC (with the conn. kit running)
4. the conn. kit will then prompt you to update the firmware -- I recommend that you do

I have not heard of calculators causing failures to power supplies, but the world is full of surprises. Does your computer even turn on anymore (without anything plugged in other than power cables etc. need to run the computer)?

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
01-22-2016, 09:58 PM
The PC is totally dead. I'll just try to use the Prime as is.

I did read that using the USB to charge something (which I have done many times on that computer) can destroy the computer in some cases; usually this is because the computer doesn't have proper internals.
01-22-2016, 11:00 PM
The obvious: Is the computer plugged into a power source (both ends)? Of course, you thought and checked that. Is there actually power at the plug end? Sometimes those switchable power strips or surge protectors get toggled off.

If those things don't fix it, the chances of your USB connection "causing" the problem itself, are pretty slim. Sometimes, just cleaning the computer, which includes cleaning dirt from fans, and checking the internal cable connections, may be all it takes to restore operation.

Just trying to be helpful, here, not wanting to suggest that you haven't already done things of this sort ...

-Dale-
01-23-2016, 10:03 PM
(01-22-2016 09:58 PM)ttw Wrote:  The PC is totally dead. I'll just try to use the Prime as is.

I did read that using the USB to charge something (which I have done many times on that computer) can destroy the computer in some cases; usually this is because the computer doesn't have proper internals.

I don't think a USB device can damage your whole computer. It's more likely some secondary chip that crashed and needs to be reset.
Are you using a USB powered hub? I had 2 of those after a couple of years of use started sending strange voltage into the PC (2 different hubs on 2 different PC's on different years), and the PC would refuse to boot. In one case, powering the USB would also crash the NIC (internal), so every now and then, when it allowed it to boot, the network would be dead, I had to pull the power completely to the PC to reset the PHY.
Perhaps your prime isn't the problem. Perhaps there's another USB device that's damaged and draining a lot of current, and connecting the Prime on top just makes it go over the limit and crashes something in the motherboard.
Unplug all devices (even the network cable), remove the power cable and press the power button to discharge any capacitors. That should reset the motherboard completely.
I have an old PC that drains power from the ethernet cable (is not POE enabled, I think it's damaged, it wasn't like that when it was new!). Even if I unplug the power, the motherboard remains ON, and pressing the power button flashes some LEDs indicating a power supply failure (of course, since the power cord is not connected!). If I unplug the network cable, the motherboard dies completely when I press the power button.
Unplugging everything makes sure your motherboard can't get power from anywhere, allowing all chips to reset themselves.
Try that and there's a good chance your PC will come back to life.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)