Updated Sandmath 4x4 R5 ? What's new Angel ?
01-21-2016, 02:31 AM
Updated Sandmath 4x4 R5 ? What's new Angel ?
Saw that a new version is out. I noticed the the R5 desigination in the manual. What's different ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-22-2016, 02:04 PM
RE: Updated Sandmath 4x4 R5 ? What's new Angel ?
(01-21-2016 02:31 AM)Gene Wrote:  Saw that a new version is out. I noticed the the R5 desigination in the manual. What's different ?

Basically I removed the UMS and replaced it with more math-related functions and programs. The UMS is in the PowerCL and in the Total-Rekall modules, so no need to have it in the SandMath anymore.

The additions include all the MEAN functions (arithmetic, geometric, harmonic, generalized), Derivatives and continued fractions from the GJM Module; more geometry functions, and all-MCODE versions of a few special functions that used to be FOCAL programs (Jacobi THETA, DAWSON Integral, Debye Function).

Also added LRX to the linear regression set, plus changes to the PROB/STAT launcher and a new launcher for the MEANs set.

Cheers,
ÁM
01-22-2016, 02:14 PM
I must have missed that. Where can I find the new version?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-22-2016, 04:11 PM
(01-22-2016 02:14 PM)HP-Collection Wrote:  I must have missed that. Where can I find the new version?

I think you can find it here: http://www.systemyde.com/hp41/images-2016.zip

David Brunell
Houston, Texas
01-22-2016, 04:18 PM
Thanks. Unfortuantelly Monte did not add a .TXT file with additional infos as version.....
01-23-2016, 11:55 PM
Angel, do we need a new version of the overlay?

By the way, there have been almost no requests for the new 16C Emulator overlay, which is a little bit of a surprise.
01-24-2016, 12:30 AM
(01-22-2016 04:18 PM)HP-Collection Wrote:  Thanks. Unfortuantelly Monte did not add a .TXT file with additional infos as version.....

Sorry, I just load the images.
01-24-2016, 12:31 AM
(01-23-2016 11:55 PM)Michael Fehlhammer Wrote:  By the way, there have been almost no requests for the new 16C Emulator overlay, which is a little bit of a surprise.

That is surprising. I use mine all the time.
01-24-2016, 06:35 AM
I am kind of surprised anyone actually uses much of the 16C functionality. I mostly use it for base conversion and very very occasionally some rotation operations.

One's complement is virtually dead and gone. Bit variable word sizes likewise. Most of the bit operations aren't that difficult to do without -- shifts certainly, rotates less so. The integer real conversions on mode changes seems more trouble than it is worth -- the 34S ditched these years ago due to users' confusion.

- Pauli
01-24-2016, 07:52 AM (This post was last modified: 01-24-2016 07:57 AM by Ángel Martin.)
(01-24-2016 06:35 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  I am kind of surprised anyone actually uses much of the 16C functionality. I mostly use it for base conversion and very very occasionally some rotation operations.

One's complement is virtually dead and gone. Bit variable word sizes likewise. Most of the bit operations aren't that difficult to do without -- shifts certainly, rotates less so. The integer real conversions on mode changes seems more trouble than it is worth -- the 34S ditched these years ago due to users' confusion.

- Pauli

That's kind of a harsh review of the 16C features; I wonder if this is from a software-oriented person perspective or from a hardware-oriented one? To me the emulator was a superb project with an outstanding result; but I guess not having users that can get confused gives you a lot of liberty.

The emulator goes beyond the original in a few areas that - even if not so useful - were a crack to get done.
01-24-2016, 07:55 AM (This post was last modified: 01-24-2016 09:29 AM by Ángel Martin.)
(01-23-2016 11:55 PM)Michael Fehlhammer Wrote:  Angel, do we need a new version of the overlay?

Nope, the changes are compatible with the existing SandMath overlays (that was kind of a design criteria BTW)

(01-23-2016 11:55 PM)Michael Fehlhammer Wrote:  By the way, there have been almost no requests for the new 16C Emulator overlay, which is a little bit of a surprise.

Little known module abut a very rarely used subject, so no surprises there... but remember, we don't measure success by the large numbers, right?
01-24-2016, 02:07 PM
(01-24-2016 07:55 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  

Little known module abut a very rarely used subject, so no surprises there... but remember, we don't measure success by the large numbers, right?

Right! I use it frequently, along with my old HP-16C.
Robert was very generous at the HHC 2015, he gave me his second 16C Emulator overlay which is essential IMHO.
Michael, I am readying another Overlay order and the 16C Emulator overlay will part of it.
Best regards,
Sylvain

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)