Printing HP 32SII Owner's Manual - color covers?
12-07-2015, 10:28 PM
Printing HP 32SII Owner's Manual - color covers?
In June, a very nice HP 32SII came my way but without a manual.

Fortunately, HP provides a text-searchable, color PDF file of the Owner's Manual, so I had a copy printed on a color laser printer. But this PDF does not include the outside faces.

Since I'm going to the trouble of ring-binding it so it will lay flat, I would like to have at least the front cover be as good looking as I can arrange. The best image I've found online is this one, but I would appreciate if anybody can point me to a better quality scan.

Alan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2015, 11:06 PM
RE: Printing HP 32SII Owner's Manual - color covers?
By the way, if you're interested in printing this manual in a convenient half-sheet size, use the version linked here.

It works great to save paper when printing 2-up and double-sided so you can just cut each 8.5 x 11 inch sheet in half instead of trimming off four edges from every page. This file was generated using PDF Booklet.
12-07-2015, 11:11 PM
(12-07-2015 10:28 PM)striegel Wrote:  I would appreciate if anybody can point me to a better quality scan.

What about this one?

Maybe after a little trimming...

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-07-2015, 11:22 PM
Damn C.A.S.!

Now that I have the manual, I need to buy a 32sII... Smile
12-08-2015, 01:13 AM
Excellent! That image printed very nicely. Thank you for finding that.

(12-07-2015 11:11 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  What about this one?

Maybe after a little trimming...
12-08-2015, 04:19 AM
On the subject of manuals, does anyone have a softcopy of the manual for HP 42s. Mine is a bit tattered around the edges, so I'd rather refer to a softcopy than subject the original to more physical abuse... Thanks.
12-08-2015, 01:23 PM
HP 42S manual
(12-08-2015 04:19 AM)Ender Wrote:  On the subject of manuals, does anyone have a softcopy of the manual for HP 42s. ...

I found a monochrome, scanned version of the 42S Owner's Manual back in April. As a scan, it is not text-searchable.

There is also an alternative manual provided for the Free42 app. It's much shorter but useful in its own way and fully text searchable.
12-08-2015, 01:29 PM
RE: 42S Owner's Manual
It should also be pointed out that you can get a great many of the HP manuals from the HP Museum document set at a very reasonable price.

http://www.hpmuseum.org/cd/cddesc.htm
12-09-2015, 03:19 AM
Thank you strigel. Has anyone wondered why some manuals are available for download while others aren't? This has nothing to do with the age of the calculator. And since HP is not selling these manuals anyway, free downloads cannot be affecting its profit in anyway. Copyrights consideration? But why some calculators and not others. E.g., manuals for 15C and 12C are widely available but not the 42S.
12-09-2015, 03:39 AM
(12-09-2015 03:19 AM)Ender Wrote:  Thank you strigel. Has anyone wondered why some manuals are available for download while others aren't? This has nothing to do with the age of the calculator. And since HP is not selling these manuals anyway, free downloads cannot be affecting its profit in anyway. Copyrights consideration? But why some calculators and not others. E.g., manuals for 15C and 12C are widely available but not the 42S.

Although not a complete answer to the general question you raise, there are some sensible answers. The 12C is still in production, and the 15C manual reappeared when the 15CLE was released several years ago.

I was surprised to see the 32SII manual was still available; I'd guess that model is as old as any that still has manuals available. Even more surprised to see I had that copy, which means I found it, got it, and forgot it.

--Bob Prosperi
12-09-2015, 03:52 AM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2015 03:54 AM by Bill (Smithville NJ).)
I have always been amazed at how different companies handle the publication of their manuals. A few years ago, I was planning to purchase a new digital SLR camera. It came down to a Nikon or a Canon. I went to each site to download the manual so I could compare their features and make a final decision.

When making a major purchase, I will usually download and print out the manuals and then study them at my leisure before actually buying.

Nikon required a serial number of the camera that you had purchased before they would let you download a PDF that could be printed. Otherwise, you were limited to a nonprintable PDF file. They would only give you a printable PDF after you have purchased the camera.

Canon would allow you to print the manual out but "DRAFT" appeared diagonally across each page. This made the study of their manual more difficult.

I always wondered why they made it so difficult - did they think someone was ripping off their manuals. It made no sense to me.

Bill
Smithville, NJ
12-09-2015, 01:33 PM
(12-08-2015 01:29 PM)striegel Wrote:  It should also be pointed out that you can get a great many of the HP manuals from the HP Museum document set at a very reasonable price.

http://www.hpmuseum.org/cd/cddesc.htm

I just wish they had color versions of Vols 1 and 2 of the HP-41 CX manuals. Since many references to functions are color coded by yellow for gold key functions or blue for Alpha, it's much easier to understand the manual when you can actually see the difference rather than just a lighter grey color.

Tom L

Tom L
Cui bono?
12-09-2015, 02:57 PM
(12-09-2015 01:33 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  I just wish they had color versions of Vols 1 and 2 of the HP-41 CX manuals. Since many references to functions are color coded by yellow for gold key functions or blue for Alpha, it's much easier to understand the manual when you can actually see the difference rather than just a lighter grey color.

Tom L

Although not for offline use, and for the 41C not CX, this version of the 41C manual may be of interest if you haven't seen it.

--Bob Prosperi
12-10-2015, 05:39 AM
(12-09-2015 02:57 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Although not for offline use, and for the 41C not CX, this version of the 41C manual may be of interest if you haven't seen it.
Hi Bob, actually it can be used offline, at least the version I got a few years ago;-)

-- Ray
12-10-2015, 11:23 PM
(12-10-2015 05:39 AM)Raymond Del Tondo Wrote:  
(12-09-2015 02:57 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Although not for offline use, and for the 41C not CX, this version of the 41C manual may be of interest if you haven't seen it.
Hi Bob, actually it can be used offline, at least the version I got a few years ago;-)

Hello Raymond! Hmm.... maybe some ftp magic to download the entire folder http://www.greendyk.nl/hp41c-manual/ folder? Can't tell from a web-session if the pages all use relative addressing, but I guess your success indicate it must. So, a small project for the weekend.

And if this one works... the others likely do as well....

Thanks Raymond, a nice Christmas gift!

--Bob Prosperi
12-10-2015, 11:30 PM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2015 11:32 PM by Massimo Gnerucci.)
(12-10-2015 11:23 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(12-10-2015 05:39 AM)Raymond Del Tondo Wrote:  Hi Bob, actually it can be used offline, at least the version I got a few years ago;-)

Hello Raymond! Hmm.... maybe some ftp magic to download the entire folder http://www.greendyk.nl/hp41c-manual/ folder? Can't tell from a web-session if the pages all use relative addressing, but I guess your success indicate it must. So, a small project for the weekend.

Beware to use a low download speed quota: I got banned from there some years ago 'cause I downloaded too much, too fast...

Greetings,
    Massimo

12-11-2015, 02:47 AM
(12-10-2015 11:30 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
(12-10-2015 11:23 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Hello Raymond! Hmm.... maybe some ftp magic to download the entire folder http://www.greendyk.nl/hp41c-manual/ folder? Can't tell from a web-session if the pages all use relative addressing, but I guess your success indicate it must. So, a small project for the weekend.

Beware to use a low download speed quota: I got banned from there some years ago 'cause I downloaded too much, too fast...

Good safety tip, thanks Massimo. It's hard when you see so much gold laying around to not try to stuff your pockets and run...

--Bob Prosperi
12-11-2015, 09:13 AM
(12-10-2015 11:23 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  maybe some ftp magic
Actually wget did the job:-)
However I didn't download the whole site, only the manuals one by one, so the total traffic volume wasn't very high.

-- Ray
12-11-2015, 09:46 AM
(12-11-2015 09:13 AM)Raymond Del Tondo Wrote:  However I didn't download the whole site, only the manuals one by one, so the total traffic volume wasn't very high.

That's what I did too, but obviously I opened too many threads at the same time. Shy

Greetings,
    Massimo

02-01-2016, 01:43 AM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2016 01:48 AM by striegel.)
By the way, here's how it turned out
[img]http://striegels.com/alan/hp/Completed%20double%20wire%20bound%20HP%2032SII%20Owner's%20Manual.JPG[/img]

The page punching was done with a machine called "The Cinch". It's mostly marketed for scrapbooking but it works well for projects of this type.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)