hp prime and windows xp
11-22-2015, 12:16 AM (This post was last modified: 11-22-2015 12:46 AM by ji3m.)
hp prime and windows xp
I picked up a physical calculator today but i now realize its useless since we only have windows xp pcs.

Is there no way to just move files back and forth with no elaborate fanfare.?

Im doing all my development on the tablet with the prime emulator.

i have primecomm v.9 but it doesnt see the calculator.
Windows detects the prime as a hid.

So do i need to return the prime.?

We will not be upgrading windows pc anytime soon, probably never.

What would be really sweet would be an android app (otg) to talk to the prime. But alas.

Ive checked some older posts so it would seem im out of luck.

I work with android Prime only for now on my
Galaxy Tab Pro/Note 2
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-22-2015, 01:46 AM
RE: hp prime and windows xp
Isn't Windows XP no longer supported, even by MS? That said, you may want to check to see if your USB drivers are up to date. Also, make you may want to use USB2 or lower (I am assuming you have older ports given the use of Windows XP) as opposed to USB3

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
11-22-2015, 03:35 AM
(11-22-2015 01:46 AM)Han Wrote:  Isn't Windows XP no longer supported, even by MS?
Yes and no. Windows XP is no longer supported for desktops since 2014-04-08, however the embedded versions of Windows XP are still supported by Microsoft up to 2019-04-09. Technically, the updates for Windows Embedded POSReady 2009, which is a variant of Windows XP SP3, work for the desktop Windows XP as well.

Greetings,

Matthias

--
"Programs are poems for computers."
11-22-2015, 03:54 AM (This post was last modified: 11-22-2015 01:37 PM by matthiaspaul.)
(11-22-2015 12:16 AM)ji3m Wrote:  i have primecomm v.9 but it doesnt see the calculator.
Windows detects the prime as a hid.
I assume your recently bought Prime is the G8X92AA model, or is it still the older NW280AA model? Which firmware version is installed?

The problem could be down to changes in the USB protocol in the Prime firmware. Does PrimeComm support the new USB ID already? See:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-4755.html

Greetings,

Matthias

--
11-22-2015, 09:07 AM
It's indeed a very bad idea to keep using the old, insecure Win XP.

PrimeComm hasn't worked for a year and a half for most computer <-> calculator communication purposes, and standard libhpcalcs hasn't worked for half a year due to the USB PID change.
11-22-2015, 01:36 PM
(11-22-2015 09:07 AM)debrouxl Wrote:  It's indeed a very bad idea to keep using the old, insecure Win XP.
It depends. With the regular updates for Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 installed and not using Internet Explorer, it is about as safe as using a newer version of Windows. Without those updates installed, however, using Windows XP on a machine with internet access is unsafe. But for machines without internet access there really isn't much reason to upgrade.

Not that I would recommend using Windows XP in this configuration, but there can be valid reasons not to switch to a newer version of Windows for as long as the machine is stable and capable of getting the intended job done. Newer versions of Windows might slow down older PCs too much, or there may be no drivers available to support older, but essential, expensive or special hardware and peripherals.
Quote:PrimeComm hasn't worked for a year and a half for most computer <-> calculator communication purposes, and standard libhpcalcs hasn't worked for half a year due to the USB PID change.
Would this require more than adding support for the new PIDs?

Greetings,

Matthias

--
11-22-2015, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Quote:PrimeComm hasn't worked for a year and a half for most computer <-> calculator communication purposes, and standard libhpcalcs hasn't worked for half a year due to the USB PID change.
For PrimeComm, definitely.
For libhpcalcs, IIRC, an user reported success patching the code that way. However, I cannot reproduce here (Debian sid amd64). Enumerating the 03f0:1541 HID device works, but then opening it fails. It occurs with both the libusb and the hidraw backends.
11-22-2015, 05:46 PM
(11-22-2015 03:35 AM)matthiaspaul Wrote:  Technically, the updates for Windows Embedded POSReady 2009, which is a variant of Windows XP SP3, work for the desktop Windows XP as well.

Can I convince my German XP Pro to load these updates automatically?

Marcus von Cube
Wehrheim, Germany
http://www.mvcsys.de
http://wp34s.sf.net
http://mvcsys.de/doc/basic-compare.html
11-22-2015, 06:37 PM
Google is your friend. All you need to do is make some edits in the registry. There was at one time a fie you could download and run that made the edits automagically.
11-22-2015, 06:37 PM
In the early versions of the calculator there was a send button that made possible the single file transfer approach I used in primecomm design.

Without that, the app needs a total rework to work again, the problem is not XP, but the will to rebuild it for a buggy unpolished product like the prime that might need another rework in the near future.

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-22-2015, 08:50 PM
(11-22-2015 05:46 PM)Marcus von Cube Wrote:  Can I convince my German XP Pro to load these updates automatically?
Yes, this is possible as well:

http://www.zdnet.de/88194135/windows-xp-...19-update/

Greetings,

Matthias

--
11-22-2015, 10:12 PM
(11-22-2015 08:50 PM)matthiaspaul Wrote:  Yes, this is possible as well:

Probably not risk free but I can make a backup of my virtual XP machines before I try. :-)

Marcus von Cube
Wehrheim, Germany
http://www.mvcsys.de
http://wp34s.sf.net
http://mvcsys.de/doc/basic-compare.html
11-22-2015, 10:49 PM
(11-22-2015 01:36 PM)matthiaspaul Wrote:  
(11-22-2015 09:07 AM)debrouxl Wrote:  It's indeed a very bad idea to keep using the old, insecure Win XP.
It depends. With the regular updates for Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 installed and not using Internet ....

Greetings,

Matthias
[/quote]In industrial environments it is not a big suprise to encounter such ancient operating systems like CP/M so Win XP is like a teenager still. Big Grin
11-23-2015, 03:28 AM (This post was last modified: 11-23-2015 03:41 AM by ji3m.)
I was careful to get the g8x model.

Eried:

Have you considered a rewrite of primecomm for android OTG?
That would make for a portable arrangement.

I didnt mean to trigger a discussion of XP security. All our microsoft devices are headed for the landfill anyhow. I just wanted to test my program on a real prime
and all we have are xp machines.

The calculator needs to be portable and a tether to even a laptop is
ridiculous anyhow.

Ive been doing all my work on my tablet prime and if they update the prime
emulator so it has key clicks ( like every other android app)
there is no need for the physical prime.

Transferring files with to and from the prime is only a few steps.And the tablet
coonects to the world.

My real issue with hp is that weve lost a lot of ground moving away from
the serial port (even usb serial) for which i was able to use the 49/50
to run my homemade cnc machines among other lab equipment.

Even a bluetooth connection would enable usefull connectivity.
Wi fi?

The display is awful by modern standards. The keys are very nice but unfortunately they are illegible.

So i guess it goes back. Im pretty happy with the emulator and i bet
it runs faster even on my phone.

I work with android Prime only for now on my
Galaxy Tab Pro/Note 2
11-23-2015, 05:54 AM
Quote:My real issue with hp is that weve lost a lot of ground moving away from the serial port (even usb serial) for which i was able to use the 49/50 to run my homemade cnc machines among other lab equipment.
Like the TI-Nspire series, the Prime is a calculator targeted at students in the education behemoth and its exam mode idiocy, more than a calculator targeted at real-world usage...

Quote:Have you considered a rewrite of primecomm for android OTG?
That would make for a portable arrangement.
libhpcalcs can probably be made to work on Android - those Android devices whose kernel provides sufficient USB support, anyway - given that it work(ed) on Linux (besides Windows, MacOS X and one of the BSDs), and it's developed on Linux.
For the usual portability and interoperability reasons, libhpcalcs is written in C. The choice made 16 years ago by Romain LiƩvin and Julien Blache for libti* remains valid. Nothing beats C for portability and interoperability.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)