News from Swissmicros!
09-28-2015, 07:01 PM
RE: News from Swissmicros!
(09-28-2015 05:20 PM)Harald Wrote:  
(09-28-2015 05:11 PM)ttw Wrote:  Perhaps not so farfetched; there are Diesel watches.

Hopefully those don't have emission problems - this might cause serious health issues when worn daily ;-)

Can't be any worse than all that radium.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-28-2015, 07:55 PM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2015 07:56 PM by Sundjinn.)
In the end I received the calculator today, along with a mail stating I would receive the upgraded PCB when it is available.
The SN is 00175. Keyboard is stiff and noisy, it will probably break in a bit with use. Not as good as old HP keyboards but good anyway. You can't miss keystrokes and the keys quality seems also good.
I just noticed a difference of click sound and stiffness on the '+' key, but this was solved by putting a small felt block underneath the PCB on that zone.

Very happy with the calc so far. I will start using it at work tomorrow!
Find all posts by this user
10-03-2015, 06:55 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2015 08:16 AM by Sukiari.)
I got mine in the mail today. Pretty quick service from Switzerland. Serial number is a lucky 00555.

I will reserve further comment on the keyboard until I get my replacement. Otherwise it's a super fast 15c that hooks up to your PC for easy program library management, what else do you need? The medium font is perfect, much more readable than any Voyager. While I don't expect the batteries to last as long as the original, I have had excellent battery life with the DM-41 thus far and expect this machine (RTC not running?) to have even better battery life.
10-04-2015, 01:03 AM
(10-03-2015 06:55 AM)Sukiari Wrote:  it's a super fast 15c that hooks up to your PC for easy program library management

Any special software required? Can a Linux box talk to it?
10-04-2015, 10:11 AM
I have successfully linked to the DM-15 using the PuTTY terminal emulator under Lubuntu v12. It is useful for Ubuntu/Lubuntu users to know that the necessary kernel modules for connection, usbserial.ko and cp210x.ko, are probably already in place but may not be active. They can be activated when required using the Linux "insmod" command. All then works smoothly.
10-04-2015, 07:42 PM
On the micro calculators, we use a stylus (made for Nintendo Wii U or 3DS)? These calculators look great - my hands are a bit big for the keys.
10-04-2015, 09:05 PM
(10-04-2015 10:11 AM)Chasfield Wrote:  I have successfully linked to the DM-15 using the PuTTY terminal emulator under Lubuntu v12. It is useful for Ubuntu/Lubuntu users to know that the necessary kernel modules for connection, usbserial.ko and cp210x.ko, are probably already in place but may not be active. They can be activated when required using the Linux "insmod" command. All then works smoothly.

Linux novices may want to consider the modprobe(8) command instead, as it also handles dependencies for mod loading. insmod can only successfully load a module when all the modules depended on are already loaded.

(Post 37)

Regards, BrickViking
HP-50g |Casio fx-9750G+ |Casio fx-9750GII (SH4a)
10-07-2015, 03:10 PM
A feedback after one week of use at work: well, it's a good calculator (very fast, and with more readable fonts than the original 15C) BUT the keyboard is so far unperfect.
It is too noisy, and I even miss some keystrokes. I hope the upgraded PCB will solve this issue because the other points are more than satisfying.
10-12-2015, 05:17 PM
If they fix the keyboard issues, I will get one too!
10-12-2015, 05:32 PM
Me too...
10-13-2015, 04:37 PM
(10-04-2015 09:05 PM)brickviking Wrote:  
(10-04-2015 10:11 AM)Chasfield Wrote:  I have successfully linked to the DM-15 using the PuTTY terminal emulator under Lubuntu v12. It is useful for Ubuntu/Lubuntu users to know that the necessary kernel modules for connection, usbserial.ko and cp210x.ko, are probably already in place but may not be active. They can be activated when required using the Linux "insmod" command. All then works smoothly.

Linux novices may want to consider the modprobe(8) command instead, as it also handles dependencies for mod loading. insmod can only successfully load a module when all the modules depended on are already loaded.

In theory, the module should get loaded automatically by the udev device manager when the device is plugged in.
10-14-2015, 06:51 PM
I received mine today. Serial numbers seem to ship in random order. I have #385.
With regards to the keyboard I agree with the other comments. It is much better than the keyboard on its smaller brother and makes the calculator actually usable.
When I ordered I got a warning that I would receive a new PCB and would have to install it. So I think this is still the old version and there will be an improved version at some point.
10-28-2015, 06:55 AM
Has anybody here received their new keyboard yet?

I feel like a kid waiting for a decoder ring.
10-28-2015, 12:32 PM
not yet. But they stated they would receive the PCBs end of October. So the wait is ending...
10-28-2015, 07:30 PM
I just had a look at the SwissMicros site.

The red notification message of the keyboard problem that appeared on the ordering page has changed to:

"The DM-15L is back on sale, the keyboard issue is RESOLVED."

- rendered in an encouraging shade of green.
10-28-2015, 11:25 PM
(10-28-2015 07:30 PM)Chasfield Wrote:  I just had a look at the SwissMicros site.

The red notification message of the keyboard problem that appeared on the ordering page has changed to:

One would hope that initial buyers that got bad units would receive replacement boards from SwissMicros before new buyers receive machines with the new boards. Please?

--Bob Prosperi
10-29-2015, 08:43 AM
(10-28-2015 11:25 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  One would hope that initial buyers that got bad units would receive replacement boards from SwissMicros before new buyers receive machines with the new boards. Please?

Well, there are two possibilities:

a) the replacement boards might already be on the way to those customers who received and old keyboard

b) to avoid additional shipping costs a few of the units in stock might have been converted first so from now on they can ship calculators with good keyboards. I would understand if they did that.
10-29-2015, 09:29 PM
(10-29-2015 08:43 AM)Harald Wrote:  
(10-28-2015 11:25 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  One would hope that initial buyers that got bad units would receive replacement boards from SwissMicros before new buyers receive machines with the new boards. Please?

Well, there are two possibilities:

a) the replacement boards might already be on the way to those customers who received and old keyboard

b) to avoid additional shipping costs a few of the units in stock might have been converted first so from now on they can ship calculators with good keyboards. I would understand if they did that.

Agree, these and other reasons are perfectly fine and make sense. This was just a formal way to beg...

--Bob Prosperi
10-29-2015, 09:55 PM
(10-28-2015 07:30 PM)Chasfield Wrote:  I just had a look at the SwissMicros site.

Great! Would it be overly optimistic of me to assume they can go ahead with developing a DM-16L now? Big Grin

Would be ordering a 15, if it weren't for the fact that I already have a 15C LE (and seldom use it).
10-30-2015, 04:44 AM
(10-29-2015 09:55 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  

Great! Would it be overly optimistic of me to assume they can go ahead with developing a DM-16L now? Big Grin

Would be ordering a 15, if it weren't for the fact that I already have a 15C LE (and seldom use it).

How about a DM-41L with HP-IL, ports, IR, and massive memory? What about a 71b clone in the DM-15L's form factor?

JUST TAKE MY MONEY! I have to say it's a great time to be alive.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)