WP 31S RCL function
10-19-2015, 04:12 PM
WP 31S RCL function
I wonder if someone could give me some pointers on using the RCL function on my newly built WP 31S. I'm running version 3801.

I start with the stack like this:

t: 4
z: 3
y: 2
x: 1

I press "RCL" and it waits for input from me. I assume at this point that the keyboard is in "transient alpha mode" (from the manual). I press the "3" key to recall the Z register. Instead of the x register containing the number 3, it has a zero.

t: 3
z: 2
y: 1
x: 0

Can someone point out what I'm doing wrong? I can recall from registers using "CATREG" and that seems to work normally.

Thanks in advance!
Mike M.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-19-2015, 05:26 PM
RE: WP 31S RCL function
(10-19-2015 04:12 PM)mikemo Wrote:  I press "RCL" and it waits for input from me. I assume at this point that the keyboard is in "transient alpha mode" (from the manual).

?!? Why should it be in transient alpha mode?

(10-19-2015 04:12 PM)mikemo Wrote:  I press the "3" key

You press "RCL" and "3", so you obviously want to recall register 3. ;-)
And that's what's displayed if you hold down the key: "RCL 03".
Why should the 31s do something different and execute a RCL Z instead?

If you really want to do so you have to make that clear:

(10-19-2015 04:12 PM)mikemo Wrote:  ...to recall the Z register. Instead of the x register containing the number 3, it has a zero.

Sure – register 3 obviously was empty, so you get a zero.

If you want to access the stack registers (i.e. get a "Z" instead of the "3") simply press ENTER: RCL ENTER displays "RCL s" (= "stack"), and pressing the "3" key (or "Z") now yields a RCL Z.

Dieter
10-19-2015, 07:06 PM
RE: WP 31S RCL function
(10-19-2015 05:26 PM)Dieter Wrote:  ?!? Why should it be in transient alpha mode?

My interpretation from info in the Preliminary Owner's Manual, pages 29-30.

Your explanation was very helpful and works perfectly. It just wasn't clear to me from the document how it was supposed to work.

Thanks and regards,
Mike M.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)