Forum Thumbs Up!
12-13-2013, 04:17 AM (This post was last modified: 12-14-2013 07:36 PM by Howard Owen.)
Forum Thumbs Up!
Where is the proper place to talk about the forum software?

I love this software. Other than losing the comfort level I've achieved with the original software over the years, I'm happy to make the change. Things like embedded \(\large\LaTeX\) will enrich discussions. I'm most interested to see how the various forum cultures will adapt to the new platform. I predict there will be more questions like the one I posed above. I'm very optimistic this change will result in a more interesting forum. Kudos!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-13-2013, 11:00 AM (This post was last modified: 12-13-2013 01:03 PM by Nick_S.)
RE: Forum Thumbs Up!
(12-13-2013 04:17 AM)Howard Owen Wrote:  Things like embedded \(\LaTeX \) will enrich discussions.

I know LaTeX well, how does one include some in-line formatted material like an equation, in the present context? For example:
$\large s= \sqrt{\frac{1}{N-1} \sum_{i=1}^N (x_i - \overline{x})^2}$.

Edit: I just found the LaTeX thread in the other part of the forum "HP Forums/Not HP Calculators/Test forum" and it seem one has to surround the above commands by \ [ my-equation \ ] or \ ( my-inline-equation \ ) with no spaces, replacing the dollar symbols:

\(\large s = \sqrt{\frac{1}{N-1} \sum_{i=1}^N (x_i - \overline{x})^2}\).

Note: I had to enable javascript in the Firefox add on NoScript, which I have installed in my Web browser, and then refresh the page after edits to see the formula typeset correctly.

Thanks to the forum organiser, this is great :-)

Nick
12-13-2013, 06:29 PM
(12-13-2013 04:17 AM)Howard Owen Wrote:  Where is the proper place to talk about the forum software?

I love this software. Other than losing the comfort level I've achieved with the original software over the years, I'm happy to make the change. Things like embedded \(\LaTeX \) will enrich discussions. I'm most interested to see how the various forum cultures will adapt to the new platform. I predict there will be more questions like the one I posed above. I'm very optimistic this change will result in a more interesting forum. Kudos!

I was at school when \( \LaTeX \) first came out and used to have a book on it. Sounds like a great reason to re-learn it.

Very Cool!
12-14-2013, 06:51 AM (This post was last modified: 12-14-2013 06:51 AM by Les Bell.)
(12-13-2013 04:17 AM)Howard Owen Wrote:  I love this software. Other than losing the comfort level I've achieved with the original software over the years, I'm happy to make the change. Things like embedded \(\LaTeX \) will enrich discussions. I'm most interested to see how the various forum cultures will adapt to the new platform. I predict there will be more questions like the one I posed above. I'm very optimistic this change will result in a more interesting forum. Kudos!

There was a rather nice simplicity to the old forum - clean, fast to load, very straightforward. But just the ability to use \(\LaTeX\) - let alone all the other new features - makes the new forum an attractive option. It should also mean less maintenance work for Dave, with any luck!

--- Les
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-14-2013, 07:52 AM
(12-14-2013 06:51 AM)Les Bell Wrote:  There was a rather nice simplicity to the old forum - clean, fast to load, very straightforward. But just the ability to use \(\LaTeX\) - let alone all the other new features - makes the new forum an attractive option. It should also mean less maintenance work for Dave, with any luck!

I loved the old forum for the very same reasons.
I am only getting my feet wet with the new one: much more possibilities to express ourselves, for sure; something's missing or I can't find it.

Somehow I know I will miss what we were used to, though... :'(

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
12-14-2013, 08:31 AM (This post was last modified: 12-14-2013 08:31 AM by Didier Lachieze.)
(12-14-2013 07:52 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Somehow I know I will miss what we were used to, though... :'(

It's seems there's a need for an old forums museum forum... Wink
12-14-2013, 05:57 PM
(12-14-2013 08:31 AM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  It's seems there's a need for an old forums museum forum... Wink

Excellent idea! Big Grin

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
12-14-2013, 07:54 PM
(12-13-2013 11:00 AM)Nick_S Wrote:  \(\large s = \sqrt{\frac{1}{N-1} \sum_{i=1}^N (x_i - \overline{x})^2}\).

If you reply (with the "Quote" button) you'll see the markup in the quoted text. If this feature gets used a lot, it might be a good way to learn \(\large\LaTeX\), with examples close at hand.

(12-13-2013 11:00 AM)Nick_S Wrote:  Thanks to the forum organiser, this is great :-)

+1

BTW, I \(\textit hate \) the way that LaTex logo appears. It's designed to show off LaTex's typesetting capabilities, but it ignores the reason \(\TeX\) was invented: to make beautiful documents.
12-14-2013, 11:55 PM
(12-14-2013 07:54 PM)Howard Owen Wrote:  If you reply (with the "Quote" button) you'll see the markup in the quoted text. If this feature gets used a lot, it might be a good way to learn \(\large\LaTeX\), with examples close at hand.

There are now several \(\LaTeX\) editors/compilers in the cloud, so there's nothing to install locally. I've tinkered a bit with http://www.writelatex.com, although I use WinEdt and MikTex 2.9 for my thesis, due to the number of files involved. WriteLatex has a rather neat interactive side-by-side presentation of the source and compiled document which makes experimenting very easy.

--- Les
12-15-2013, 07:43 AM
(12-14-2013 11:55 PM)Les Bell Wrote:  There are now several \(\LaTeX\) editors/compilers in the cloud\(\ldots\)

Rats! I just burned 2.5 GB downloading and installing MacTeX. I don't actually regret it. I get a good ol' command line driven TeX just like in the old days.
12-15-2013, 05:12 PM
While I was uncertain at the start, at this point I don't have to wonder whether this thread is off topic or not. Smile

Mods, is there a way to move threads? Where should this sort of post go?
12-15-2013, 09:13 PM
(12-15-2013 05:12 PM)Howard Owen Wrote:  Mods, is there a way to move threads? Where should this sort of post go?
To "Not remotely HP Calculators", where else?

d;-)

BTW, Dave seems to be very optimistic about the Prime: A whole forum partition for a single buggy HP calc -- I wonder when the HP-41 community will demand something similar for a product of higher quality.
12-15-2013, 11:13 PM
(12-15-2013 09:13 PM)walter b Wrote:  BTW, Dave seems to be very optimistic about the Prime: A whole forum partition for a single buggy HP calc -- I wonder when the HP-41 community will demand something similar for a product of higher quality.

+1, oh yeah, well said, that man! As it happens, I was working with my 41's yesterday, documenting some programs I'd written and forgotten about months ago. I was also tinkering with the various Voyagers (comparing ways of writing simple loops on the 11C, 12C and 16C) and was reminded how straightforward, well-organized and downright productive the 41 was.

And since I also have an idle 30b, waiting for conversion to a WP-34S, I decided to take a look at what it could do. Holy moly, what a mess! There's power there, all right, but it's disorganized, awkward and cumbersome - especially for programming - compared with the clean design of the 41.

I think I need to stock up on some more 41's - they're that good.

--- Les
12-16-2013, 03:53 PM
(12-14-2013 11:55 PM)Les Bell Wrote:  There are now several \(\LaTeX\) editors/compilers in the cloud, so there's nothing to install locally. I've tinkered a bit with http://www.writelatex.com, although I use WinEdt and MikTex 2.9 for my thesis, due to the number of files involved. WriteLatex has a rather neat interactive side-by-side presentation of the source and compiled document which makes experimenting very easy.

I've been using http://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php for sometime. Easy and provides a GIF option.
12-16-2013, 05:05 PM
Great new forum.

Nice to get the pesky Prime postings into there own subject header.

I use latex gloves when working on my calcs :-)

Geoff
12-16-2013, 11:48 PM
(12-16-2013 03:53 PM)Egan Ford Wrote:  I've been using http://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php for sometime. Easy and provides a GIF option.

The CodeCogs editor was handy, back in the day, especially for popping the occasional equation, as a GIF, into the old forum. But the cloud editors like WriteLatex provide a complete \(\LaTeX\) editor and compiler, rather than just a math environment - people actually write entire theses with them. I find WriteLatex handy when I'm in a coffee shop with just my ChromeBook and want to make notes which I'll then copy into my work later.

--- Les
12-19-2013, 12:03 AM
First impressions - I like it!

I had to create a new account as my old credentials didn't exist but I'm cool with that, just hope I can remember the password!

A big improvement (and the old version wasn't bad either)..

Thanks

Mike T.

Mike T.

HP21, HP25, HP32E, HP33C, HP34C, HP10C, HP11C, HP12C, HP32S, HP22S
01-01-2014, 11:51 AM
Lovely looking forum this. Better than the old one with its long highly indented chains of plain-text posts.

I was "Paul Townsend (UK)" on the old forum but now I have taken up the username I also use on other fora along with an appropriate avatar. (That bubbly blond cutie is me, or at least what I looked like at about 3 years old.)

It's worth giving the Prime its own branch of the forum, since in view of its newness and still-buggy state there are likely to be lots of posts about it. One that bugs me is why it can't do Zeta() of a positive odd integer >1. No probs with Zeta(3) on the WP-34S!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)