Variable e not usable for local-variable
09-01-2015, 10:01 PM
Variable e not usable for local-variable
The program mentioned in the other thread needed some local variables, as I am lazy I usually take short names and came up with e, as it should hold the result of euler(n), the editor refused to take it. So I used the cas to find out that e cannot be taken as a variable at all although I think to have read that all small letters are available. That is not very serious but can be changed if the system used another symbol, perhaps a fat printed e, for 2.718..., just like it does with i.
Maybe more meaningful error messages, especially in cas-programs where no debugger is available would be helpful, too. Errors like this take more time to find than writing the whole program.
Arno
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2015, 03:22 AM
RE: Variable e not usable for local-variable
(09-01-2015 10:01 PM)Arno K Wrote:  The program mentioned in the other thread needed some local variables, as I am lazy I usually take short names and came up with e, as it should hold the result of euler(n), the editor refused to take it. So I used the cas to find out that e cannot be taken as a variable at all although I think to have read that all small letters are available.

Neither e nor i can be used as variables in Home or in CAS.

(09-01-2015 10:01 PM)Arno K Wrote:  That is not very serious but can be changed if the system used another symbol, perhaps a fat printed e, for 2.718..., just like it does with i.

Even though i is often displayed as a stylized i, it can be keyed in by the user as a plain i, so i must still remain a reserved PPL word. So even if they started calling e "e", it wouldn't stop e from being a reserved PPL word.

<0|ΙΈ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-02-2015, 08:12 AM
RE: Variable e not usable for local-variable
(09-02-2015 03:22 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  
(09-01-2015 10:01 PM)Arno K Wrote:  The program mentioned in the other thread needed some local variables, as I am lazy I usually take short names and came up with e, as it should hold the result of euler(n), the editor refused to take it. So I used the cas to find out that e cannot be taken as a variable at all although I think to have read that all small letters are available.

Neither e nor i can be used as variables in Home or in CAS.

(09-01-2015 10:01 PM)Arno K Wrote:  That is not very serious but can be changed if the system used another symbol, perhaps a fat printed e, for 2.718..., just like it does with i.

Even though i is often displayed as a stylized i, it can be keyed in by the user as a plain i, so i must still remain a reserved PPL word. So even if they started calling e "e", it wouldn't stop e from being a reserved PPL word.

Well, that is correct and perhaps ok, but contrary to e i can be used as a local variable and this is what I am interested in.
Arno
Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)