New Version: 2015.06.17
08-02-2015, 12:15 AM
RE: New Version: 2015.06.17
eried, do I understand correctly that that page lets me download a working (for 90 days) bare-bones install of windows, with ie on top of it? And I should be able to install the newest CK on it, and use that to update my calculator?
I didn't know microsoft would give away versions of windows like that, even though "partial" ones...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2015, 12:20 AM
(08-02-2015 12:15 AM)Cristian Arezzini Wrote:  eried, do I understand correctly that that page lets me download a working (for 90 days) bare-bones install of windows, with ie on top of it? And I should be able to install the newest CK on it, and use that to update my calculator?
I didn't know microsoft would give away versions of windows like that, even though "partial" ones...

Yup, a fast vm for anything you need. They say 90 days but they also recommend you to make a screenshot (to use the same vm forever)

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-02-2015, 01:02 AM
(08-02-2015 12:20 AM)eried Wrote:  Yup, a fast vm for anything you need. They say 90 days but they also recommend you to make a screenshot (to use the same vm forever)

Thanks! Downloading now... Smile
08-02-2015, 01:18 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2015 02:21 PM by Cristian Arezzini.)
OK, the Windows 7 image is up and running. I installed the Connectivity Kit and the emulator, and they appear to work OK. It detected the Prime, and offered to update the firmware; but then, after the Prime re-connected as "Prime update", Windows starts installing the drivers, and fails. On the device manager, I can see it has a yellow triangle, named "USB mass storage device". Uninstalling it and letting Windows re-detect hardware doesn't fix it.
The Prime locks in "update mode", but it gets back to normal with a paperclip reset.
I tried rebooting and trying again, it didn't help. Should I install the driver manually? Where do I find it?
08-02-2015, 06:21 PM
OK, things went from bad to worse.
I solved the previous issue (USB 2.0 was not activeted on Virtualbox) and the calculator, both on normal mode and in update mode, was detected fine and the drivers installed correctly.
I started the upgrade, but at around 60% the calculator started printing a long list of lines like "Unknown command 54", then a few "Unknown command a1", then the upgrade failed. And now the calculator is dead. I mean, really dead. Trying to turn it on, nothing at all happens, not even the backlight turns on. No response to resetting, APPS+ESC, backspace, C+F+O. Just nothing. I feel sad... I wasted a whole day trying to figure this out, and now I end up with a dead calculator. Does anyone have any suggestion? Besides buying another one, if possible? Sad
08-02-2015, 08:23 PM
(08-02-2015 06:21 PM)Cristian Arezzini Wrote:  Does anyone have any suggestion? Besides buying another one, if possible? Sad

Hold down SYMB, continue to hold it, and press a paperclip in the back.

Once it is back in update mode, connect that to your vm instance. Give it a try until it completes.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
08-02-2015, 08:24 PM
There is a recovery mode I don't know if this one is the same method -> https://www.educalc.net/2336439.page but somewhere in this forum someone also posted a similar method

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-02-2015, 08:43 PM
(08-02-2015 08:23 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Hold down SYMB, continue to hold it, and press a paperclip in the back.

Once it is back in update mode, connect that to your vm instance. Give it a try until it completes.

Tim, thank you for the reply. I did that, it went back into recovery mode (though there was also another message at the top, something about a "code", sadly I didn't take a note on what it was).
I tried the update again, this time it stopped at 24% with a similar error message (but different hex number). When the CK timed out I power-cycled the calculator, and now it's dead again, and this time even the SYMB trick doesn't work...
Is it possible that a failed firmware transfer damages the calculator to the point that even the SYMB procedure doesn't work? Shouldn't that bootloader be protected?

Cristian
08-02-2015, 08:47 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2015 08:48 PM by Tim Wessman.)
(08-02-2015 08:43 PM)Cristian Arezzini Wrote:  Is it possible that a failed firmware transfer damages the calculator to the point that even the SYMB procedure doesn't work?

Nope. I've never once seen a unit that did not have mechanical problems of some kind not respond and be flashable.

Quote: Shouldn't that bootloader be protected?

It is.

The problem here is that something with your setup is causing bad scsi commands to hit the device over the USB. Unfortunately, I can't help with anything to diagnose that.

Only suggestion is that if you are going through a usb hub, try going directly to the computer. Or try a different port. I once had problems with on of my virtual machines not working properly for updates too. Turns out the usb was set to usb 1.1 in the config or something funny like that.

TW

08-02-2015, 08:57 PM
(08-02-2015 08:47 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  
(08-02-2015 08:43 PM)Cristian Arezzini Wrote:  Is it possible that a failed firmware transfer damages the calculator to the point that even the SYMB procedure doesn't work?

Nope. I've never once seen a unit that did not have mechanical problems of some kind not respond and be flashable.

So, does this mean that the calculator is actually faulty and I should stop trying?
Should I open it and try shorting the reset pads, in case the reset button is faulty?
This calculator has not been abused at all - always kept on the desk or in a drawer, and not used that much, and it never had problems with keys or anything... it was actually perfect until I tried to flash it.

Quote:
I once had problems with on of my virtual machines not working properly for updates too. Turns out the usb was set to usb 1.1 in the config or something funny like that.

It was actually set to 1.1, and that prevented even the driver installation. Once I set it up to 2.0, I became able to start the transfer, with these grime results... Sad
08-02-2015, 09:14 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2015 09:15 PM by Tim Wessman.)
(08-02-2015 08:57 PM)Cristian Arezzini Wrote:  So, does this mean that the calculator is actually faulty and I should stop trying?

While conceivably it could have had a mechanical problem between the last time you tried, and now, it is nearly certain that it is just fine. Hold down SYMB, connect the USB, and chances are it will power up. Your battery is probably completely drained down. Leave it plugged for a while and the battery should charge up some.

A real windows installation will most likely give more reliable updating then a virtual machine will unfortunately. If you continue having issues, feel free to call support if desired.

TW

08-03-2015, 12:58 PM
(08-02-2015 09:14 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  While conceivably it could have had a mechanical problem between the last time you tried, and now, it is nearly certain that it is just fine. Hold down SYMB, connect the USB, and chances are it will power up. Your battery is probably completely drained down. Leave it plugged for a while and the battery should charge up some.

Tim, the battery is fully charged (checked with a multimeter). Even with usb plugged (with or without battery inserted) the SYMB-Reset does nothing.
An USB power checker shows that when I connect the calculator (with battery) to the cable, no current flows (or a current less than 0.005A).
The only, slight, sign of life I get from the calculator, is if I remove the battery completely, and then insert the USB power cable: then for about 1/10th of a second, the screen lights up (with no discernible image). But even then, having SYMB or other keys depressed does nothing.
I opened the calculator and there's no visible damage. All the connectors and cables are tight.

Quote:A real windows installation will most likely give more reliable updating then a virtual machine will unfortunately. If you continue having issues, feel free to call support if desired.

I don't know about calling support... I bought the calculator in the US but I'm in Italy now, and besides, I think I lost the receipt. I suppose I'll start looking for a good-condition, used one. But if you want it to have it looked at, if someone at the lab is interested, I can send it to you.
08-05-2015, 11:44 PM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2015 12:28 AM by Anders.)
The Calculator User Guide 2016-06-17 pdf is finally out, here:
"ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Prime/Documentation/Calculator/EN/".
Not sure what has changed but I did not notice that the inverse Z transform "invztrans" is still not documented (though you can find it in "help" on the calculator after some searching).
08-06-2015, 09:08 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2015 09:11 PM by retoa.)
(08-05-2015 11:44 PM)Anders Wrote:  The Calculator User Guide 2016-06-17 pdf is finally out, here:
http://ftp.ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Pr...ulator/EN/.
Not sure what has changed but I did not notice that the inverse Z transform "invztrans" is still not documented (though you can find it in "help" on the calculator after some searching).

This link does not work, looks like the forum SW change it. I tried to rewrite it but it comes with the same error.

You have to substitute http by ftp and remove the first ftp in the address

Reto
08-07-2015, 12:35 AM
(08-06-2015 09:08 PM)retoa Wrote:  
(08-05-2015 11:44 PM)Anders Wrote:  The Calculator User Guide 2016-06-17 pdf is finally out, here:
http://ftp.ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Pr...ulator/EN/.

This link does not work, looks like the forum SW change it. I tried to rewrite it but it comes with the same error.

You have to substitute http by ftp and remove the first ftp in the address

Reto
Yes the forum software converts the ftp:// link to an http://ftp.ftp. link which is wrong, so I updated the link within quotes instead. Just copy the link inside the quotes "ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Prime/Documentation/Calculator/EN/", past it into the browser address field and hit enter.
08-07-2015, 06:58 AM
(08-07-2015 12:35 AM)Anders Wrote:  Yes the forum software converts the ftp:// link to an http://ftp.ftp. link which is wrong, so I updated the link within quotes instead. Just copy the link inside the quotes "ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Prime/Documentation/Calculator/EN/", past it into the browser address field and hit enter.
It doesn't, if the standard BBCode URL is used instead of relying on the automatic detection of links in text:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Prime/D...ulator/EN/

Greetings,

Matthias

--
"Programs are poems for computers."
08-19-2015, 09:57 PM (This post was last modified: 08-19-2015 10:02 PM by gabrieljcs.)
Which variable is the "theme"? How do I see it?
EDIT: Found it!
08-23-2015, 05:57 PM
I downloaded everything, and believe everything is where it should be, and the connectivity software sees my Prime, but the software says, "No updates are available". My Prime has version 2014 12 3 (6975), so I am not up to date. I am on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, all USB's are 3.0, no hubs. I'm thinking the ROM update files are not where they should be maybe. Thanks in advance.
08-23-2015, 09:10 PM
(08-23-2015 05:57 PM)d4days Wrote:  I downloaded everything, and believe everything is where it should be, and the connectivity software sees my Prime, but the software says, "No updates are available". My Prime has version 2014 12 3 (6975), so I am not up to date. I am on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, all USB's are 3.0, no hubs. I'm thinking the ROM update files are not where they should be maybe. Thanks in advance.

It is looking in the "<Username>/Documents/HP Connectivity Kit/firmware" directory. You can delete whatever is in there if you want. The downloads go into the "temp" folder. You could also delete in there and reopen the connkit. It won't see anything and should prompt you to download.

Should that fail, feel free to manually download from ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Prime/ and unzip the firmware zip into the above mentioned "firmware" folder. You can directly install the other files by clicking on them.

TW

08-24-2015, 01:34 AM (This post was last modified: 08-25-2015 01:51 PM by d4days.)
I tried all that, and now I get MSVCP120.DLL not found, though, I found that file. Now, not sure what to do. Then, it said MSVCR120.DLL not found. And, this file is there.
UPDATE: I found a website that had a DLL fix, and tried that. It worked! So, I got the update to run without a hitch. Calculator runs fine... all's good. Thanks Tim!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)