7820 Corrupting programs - had to format the flash !
06-13-2015, 10:09 AM (This post was last modified: 06-13-2015 10:47 AM by Digitaldreams.)
7820 Corrupting programs - had to format the flash !
Well it lasted a few months.

I'm now finding programs reporting errors in perfect lines where no errors existed before, no the programs haven't been edited. For example....

LOCAL X1,Y1|,X2,COL,LP1,LP2;

Note the cursor where it thinks there's an error !?.

I also note the ',' key (left of the Enter key) now produces ';' !?!?!

Yes I go to edit a problem free program, exit without doing anything and "Syntax error in program line 9" !?!?!. That line is a simple data line, a program written by someone else. So every program I view is corrupted.

Any clues before trying to back up/restore my programs or reset the calc ?

Regards
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-13-2015, 10:24 AM
RE: 7820 Corrupting programs
It would be helpful to see more lines from the program.

The line
Code:
LOCAL X1,Y1|,X2,COL,LP1,LP2;
contains an unusual character
Code:
|

COL is also a predefined variable in the spreadsheet app.

But this are only speculations ...
06-13-2015, 10:46 AM
RE: 7820 Corrupting programs
(06-13-2015 10:24 AM)Thomas_Sch Wrote:  It would be helpful to see more lines from the program.

The line
Code:
LOCAL X1,Y1|,X2,COL,LP1,LP2;
contains an unusual character
Code:
|

COL is also a predefined variable in the spreadsheet app.

But this are only speculations ...

Thanks Thomas, almost nothing before the above line beyond the usual EXPORT TEST() AND BEGIN.

My problem was solved by a full reset and format of C, just reset didn't do the trick. There are still many bugs in 7820 !. BACK UP YOUR PROGRAMS GUYS or you could end up in tears !!.

Full reset info below, gives access to a test menu too so beware !, I cannot be held responsible for any damage or lost data/programs !!.

Hold down F,C and O while pressing the rear reset button....

You will be given a menu. Press 4 (FLS Utility), and then press 3 (Format Disk C). This clears out the flash. Once finished, press ESC to back out into the main menu. From there press 9 (RESET) or you can alternatively press ON+SYMB

(For a warmstart - press ON+SYMB, you will not lose your programs but this alone will not fully reset the calculator)

Regards
06-13-2015, 12:42 PM
RE: 7820 Corrupting programs - had to format the flash !
Backups are always a good idea, since many things are saved, including programs. However, I also keep a "Master Catalog.zip" file from which I can (drag / drop) programs (to / from) the connectivity kit and onto the hardware device. I try to keep skeleton programs in the master catalog, that demonstrate how to use things like INPUT(), DRAWMENU(), etc.; and handy utilities that are useful as sub routines.

I have also had memory corruption events, (in earlier releases). On the emulator, most were cleared by using the Reset item from the Calculator menu bar. Refreshing the hardware device, when the emulator has a problem, perhaps might transfer the problem to the the hardware device.

If a backup file contains artifacts from memory corruption, perhaps that might also be a factor. Using my Master Catalog.zip file, I haven't had any problem with replacing files, although if memory corruption was present beforehand, the replaced program might not work any better.

The spreadsheet variable "Col" is different from the variable "COL", and shouldn't be a problem.

If you make backups frequently, or keep a master catalog, your programs will likely survive memory corruption problems. I wonder if a fresh reset on the emulator followed by a "Refresh" on the calculator would clear memory corruptions on both?

-Dale-
06-13-2015, 12:58 PM (This post was last modified: 06-13-2015 01:11 PM by Didier Lachieze.)
RE: 7820 Corrupting programs - had to format the flash !
(06-13-2015 10:09 AM)Digitaldreams Wrote:  I'm now finding programs reporting errors in perfect lines where no errors existed before, no the programs haven't been edited. For example....

LOCAL X1,Y1|,X2,COL,LP1,LP2;

Note the cursor where it thinks there's an error !?.

I also note the ',' key (left of the Enter key) now produces ';' !?!?!

[...]

Any clues before trying to back up/restore my programs or reset the calc ?

Try to check the Digit Grouping in the Home Settings, it seems that you have the comma selected as decimal separator.

To be compatible with other people digit grouping options, it's a good practice to insert a pragma statement at the beginning of a program with menu->insert pragma in the program editor.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)