Crazy good deal on a 50G
02-24-2015, 09:54 AM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2015 12:15 PM by d b.)
RE: Crazy good deal on a 50G
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.<<<the rest edited to stay on topic>>>

d:-(
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-24-2015, 10:53 AM
(02-24-2015 09:04 AM)RMollov Wrote:  You keep abusing forum members with your idiotic comments.
If I were a moderator here, I'd kick you out forever.

1+

BTW: It's totally okay in this forum to use the [Image: newreply.gif] button.

Cheers
Thomas
02-24-2015, 06:28 PM
Purely arbitrary
(02-24-2015 09:54 AM)walter b Wrote:  Thanks for sharing your thoughts.<<<the rest edited to stay on topic>>>

Ok, so this post was edited and the preceding one wasn't. Confused That's in contradiction to plain logic - OTOH, it's a strong evidence that the same 'moderator' was acting whose personal opinion was quoted. I leave it to the majority of my fellow forumers what to think about this kind of 'justice'. Confused

P.S.: No use deleting this - I've saved it.
02-24-2015, 06:45 PM
(02-24-2015 06:28 PM)walter b Wrote:  
(02-24-2015 09:54 AM)walter b Wrote:  Thanks for sharing your thoughts.<<<the rest edited to stay on topic>>>

Ok, so this post was edited and the preceding one wasn't. Confused That's in contradiction to plain logic - OTOH, it's a strong evidence that the same 'moderator' was acting whose personal opinion was quoted. I leave it to the majority of my fellow forumers what to think about this kind of 'justice'. Confused

P.S.: No use deleting this - I've saved it.
I'm new here, I don't know if my opinion count or not, but I can assure that Walter is one of the reasons that this forum is só amazing to me. And I don't think his words were offensive.

Make peace, guys, we're here to talk about one of ours passions, calculators, just calculators.
02-24-2015, 06:46 PM
(02-24-2015 06:12 AM)oldmancolin Wrote:  I'll be curious to know what the others who bought one get shipped.

I bought two, not at that crazy price though, but the only "manual" included was a flimsy CD-ROM. Are you saying yours included a printed manual?
02-24-2015, 09:02 PM
(02-24-2015 06:46 PM)John Galt Wrote:  
(02-24-2015 06:12 AM)oldmancolin Wrote:  I'll be curious to know what the others who bought one get shipped.

I bought two, not at that crazy price though, but the only "manual" included was a flimsy CD-ROM. Are you saying yours included a printed manual?

Yep, included was a "quick start guide" as well as an "introduction guide" if I'm translating correctly. They're only about 60 pages each and in spanish, of course.
02-27-2015, 11:57 PM
FWIW, I just got my HP-50G today from Amazon, ordered for $50 USD last Saturday 21 Feb. It is labeled for North America.
02-28-2015, 03:48 AM
I thought I ordered a 50g from Amazon, but after the order was processed it appeared from an Amazon Marketplace seller and fulfilled by Amazon. (I think the "add to cart" button in the listing was linked wrong, or something.) The shipment came while I was in Texas, and when I arrived back home in Arkansas last night I found out the Spanish language version was sent (HP Product # F2229AA # B17).

I am sending it back and reordered the version with English Language packaging, HP Part number: MFG #F2229AA#ABA.

As always, Amazon was very good about handling this and offered free one day shipping.

This is my first posting, but not my first HP. That was a 29C in 1978 while in engineering school. Been hooked ever since. Recently wanted to dabble in a little programming for fun, downloaded some simulators, and picked the 50g. For 3 weeks in Texas (no internet where I was) I paged through the User Guide pdf and worked with the emulator side by side. I have a couple of chapters to go but so far this has worked out well.

Also just ordered the USB flash drive with the HP Museum archive. Looking forward to the books by Wickes !!!

Mark
02-28-2015, 04:24 AM
(02-28-2015 03:48 AM)MarkMason Wrote:  I thought I ordered a 50g from Amazon, but after the order was processed it appeared from an Amazon Marketplace seller and fulfilled by Amazon. (I think the "add to cart" button in the listing was linked wrong, or something.) The shipment came while I was in Texas, and when I arrived back home in Arkansas last night I found out the Spanish language version was sent (HP Product # F2229AA # B17).

I am sending it back and reordered the version with English Language packaging, HP Part number: MFG #F2229AA#ABA.

As always, Amazon was very good about handling this and offered free one day shipping.

This is my first posting, but not my first HP. That was a 29C in 1978 while in engineering school. Been hooked ever since. Recently wanted to dabble in a little programming for fun, downloaded some simulators, and picked the 50g. For 3 weeks in Texas (no internet where I was) I paged through the User Guide pdf and worked with the emulator side by side. I have a couple of chapters to go but so far this has worked out well.

Also just ordered the USB flash drive with the HP Museum archive. Looking forward to the books by Wickes !!!

Mark

Welcome to the Forum Mark, thanks for posting.

You will enjoy the 50g, it is truly an amazing machine. Suggest you also get a 2GB SD card; you can write (or use existing) simple backup programs to instantly save you state info. As you explore RPL and in particular SysRPL, you will find you will likely crash the machine, but in a few keystrokes, you are right back where you were.

You definitely should check out Eric Rechlin's website http://www.hpcalc.org, it is the place for RPL tools, docs, programs and info. Eric also sells machines, cables and accessories; check them out.

And you are right, you will really Enjoy Bill Wickes' books. They are 48G focused, so won't cover all the 50g features by far, but they will teach you a deeper understanding of RPL and some subtle techniques for writing a wide variety of RPL from advanced math to system programming.

You're in the right place, and I encourage you to participate in the discussions as you will certainly get more out of them.

--Bob Prosperi
03-01-2015, 08:15 PM
[/quote]

Welcome to the Forum Mark, thanks for posting.

You will enjoy the 50g, it is truly an amazing machine. Suggest you also get a 2GB SD card; you can write (or use existing) simple backup programs to instantly save you state info. As you explore RPL and in particular SysRPL, you will find you will likely crash the machine, but in a few keystrokes, you are right back where you were.

You definitely should check out Eric Rechlin's website http://www.hpcalc.org, it is the place for RPL tools, docs, programs and info. Eric also sells machines, cables and accessories; check them out.

And you are right, you will really Enjoy Bill Wickes' books. They are 48G focused, so won't cover all the 50g features by far, but they will teach you a deeper understanding of RPL and some subtle techniques for writing a wide variety of RPL from advanced math to system programming.

You're in the right place, and I encourage you to participate in the discussions as you will certainly get more out of them.
[/quote]

Bob,

Thank you for the warm welcome. When I ordered the 50g from Amazon, their message popped up 'customers who bought this also bought: Transend 2Gb SD card'. This was just the right prompting. I searched that site for a SanDisk of that capacity, but did not find one so ordered the Transend.

I have been looking at Eric's site and have downloaded some programs I want to try when I get the English 50g.

I'm looking forward to playing with RPL. Seems to me that it allows both keystroke style programming as well as representing algebraic expressions intact between the single quotes.

Mark
03-01-2015, 10:41 PM
Quote:I'm new here, I don't know if my opinion count or not, but I can assure that Walter is one of the reasons that this forum is só amazing to me. And I don't think his words were offensive.

Make peace, guys, we're here to talk about one of ours passions, calculators, just calculators.

+1
(Although I don't like these short replies this one helps me to keep my peace of mind / Seelenfrieden. And now back to my sand box / Sandkasten.)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)