Barcode -> .raw file project ---- help requested
02-14-2015, 01:38 PM
RE: Barcode -> .raw file project ---- help requested
(02-14-2015 01:19 PM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  If memory serves the Dungeon and Ghost Town are in the ADVENTURE modules - I remember scanning the bar codes many moons ago when I prepared them. There is a program index posted somewhere in TOS, would be good to rescue from oblivion...

Got the Wickes/Wlodek Module almost ready to go - it's brain therapy after the Floating FIX project!

Gene: I will double check the games to make sure there is no duplication and will check that list too.

Thanks for all your help here. :-)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-14-2015, 03:27 PM (This post was last modified: 02-22-2015 07:57 PM by Ángel Martin.)
Here is the second installment of this ambitious project: the BookAPS ROM & Module, including programs from the Wickes, Wlodek and Deering books - as many as those sent to me on the virtual drives.

Just one exception: who needs yet another KA program??? Every book has one or several versions of them, so i made an executive decision and left out the one in the Tips & Routines book. Shout if this isn't OK for you.

Calls to sub functions still use alpha labels. They could be converted to XROM but first I want to make sure we're all ok with the following choices:

- FAT function order is alphabetical - this is the least confusing to me.
- XROM#id is also 17 - same as the previous PPC_APPS.

Can you all live with that?

So I'm doing my part, what about a global index/inventory anyone??

Cheers,
'AM
02-14-2015, 05:53 PM
(02-14-2015 03:27 PM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  Here is the second installment of this ambitious project: the BookAPS ROM & Module, including programs from the Wickes, Wlodek and Deering books - as many as those sent to me on the virtual drives.

Just one exception: who needs yet another KA program??? Every book has one or several versions of them, so i made an executive decision and left out the one in the Tips & Routines book. Shout if this isn't OK for you.

Calls to sub functions still use alpha labels. They could be converted to XROM but first I want to make sure we're all ok with the following choices:

- FAT function order is alphabetical - this is the least confusing to me.
- XROM#id is also 17 - same as the previous PPC_APPS.

Can you all live with that?

So I'm doing my part, what about a global index/inventory anyone??

Cheers,
'AM

This is great news Angel, thanks for cranking out another intersting ROM to test. Do you ever sleep?

All the choices you made are sensible, it's unlikley anyone needs both PPC_APPS and BOOK_APPs loaded at the same time.

I can't load it now as CL is in the mail, but a quick question about the FAT function order: Are they grouped by Book/Author (with Enter to step thru the Fns inside that book)? If this is more work, its fine as-is, as long as there is no Fn name collision among the books.

Lastly, unlike the PPC_APPS files, where the source is obvious, I suggest it would be helpful to include a tiny text file in the distribuion .zip which simply lists Author/Titles of the books whose programs are included in this MOD file.

Maybe name it BOOKAPS1 in anticipation of volume 2 once additonal books' progams have been scanned and submitted.

I assume that most of these programs have never been run by most users, simply due to the incovenience of entering them. The authors would never have guessed that their programs would see a resurgence in usage 30+ years later.

Thanks for your tireless contributions. Will load it in go41cx tomorrow to check in the emulator and send feedback if problems, and then in a CL once built and I figure out how to download and install this.

--Bob Prosperi
02-14-2015, 06:01 PM
More .raw files sent to Angel:

ENTRPRZ - prints a star trek enterprise on the printer
LEARNCV - learning curve program
SNED_F - Snedecor's F stat
DBLINTG - double integration
ISLAND - Treasure Island
H67COMP - by Dave Monroe - the H67 computer. Wild stuff.
JINGLE - plays jingle bells
VALPRNT - Roger Hill's valentine printing program
BANLOAD - loads constants for the banner program
BANNER - print banners!
STARWAR - plays the star wars theme
BACH - plays the fugue in d minor
TONES - by Richard Nelson. Plays all 127 possible synthetic tones - all in a row

Still have several games not previously included to do.

Also planning to take the programs from the Datafile Coconut grove columns and include them. These short things might be included elsewhere in other versions, but often these short routines were like the 25 words or less column - I learn things from looking them over.

Trying NOT to include programs that are terribly obsolete. We have a great GCD mcode routine in the Sandmath module. Why include yet another GCD routine written in FOCAL? :-)

And I totally agree with Angel regarding the KA routines.

Thoughts anyone?
02-14-2015, 06:13 PM
(02-14-2015 06:01 PM)Gene Wrote:  More .raw files sent to Angel:

ENTRPRZ - prints a star trek enterprise on the printer
LEARNCV - learning curve program
SNED_F - Snedecor's F stat
DBLINTG - double integration
ISLAND - Treasure Island
H67COMP - by Dave Monroe - the H67 computer. Wild stuff.
JINGLE - plays jingle bells
VALPRNT - Roger Hill's valentine printing program
BANLOAD - loads constants for the banner program
BANNER - print banners!
STARWAR - plays the star wars theme
BACH - plays the fugue in d minor
TONES - by Richard Nelson. Plays all 127 possible synthetic tones - all in a row

Still have several games not previously included to do.

Also planning to take the programs from the Datafile Coconut grove columns and include them. These short things might be included elsewhere in other versions, but often these short routines were like the 25 words or less column - I learn things from looking them over.

Trying NOT to include programs that are terribly obsolete. We have a great GCD mcode routine in the Sandmath module. Why include yet another GCD routine written in FOCAL? :-)

And I totally agree with Angel regarding the KA routines.

Thoughts anyone?

Well, ENTRPRZ is of course a mission-critical application for all members, thank you for locating and scanning it.

And the music programs bring back memories of getting 5-10 machines loaded at the clubhouse or conference (and at least once at a Dennys, probably Las Vegas?) and started at the same time to 'sing' together. This almost always lead to heated discussions of exactly the right way to count down to the 'go' signal. Do I press R/S when he says "zero", or when he says "go"? Should my finger be on the key, or poised just above? Does speed vary based on battery condition? We just had to know these things.

And yes, don't waste space on YAKA.

Thanks Gene. Made me smile here. Smile Smile

--Bob Prosperi
02-14-2015, 09:08 PM
More LIF files sent to Angel:
- Keith Jarett: Synthetic Programs Made Easy (bar codes programs)
- W&W: CCD ROM Manual (bar codes programs)
Sylvain
02-14-2015, 10:45 PM
(02-14-2015 03:27 PM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  So I'm doing my part, what about a global index/inventory anyone??

I can pick that one, but I need more information on what's expected.

Sylvain
02-14-2015, 10:58 PM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2015 11:00 PM by Mark Hardman.)
(02-14-2015 10:45 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(02-14-2015 03:27 PM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  So I'm doing my part, what about a global index/inventory anyone??

I can pick that one, but I need more information on what's expected.

Sylvain

When Gene talked about including the "Datafile Coconut grove columns" my first thought was, "How will I ever find the corresponding article in Jake's compilation?"

Here's a straw man of the details I'd like to see in a Master Index:

Module name
Program name
Short description
Book or Journal name
Journal issue number
Page

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
02-15-2015, 02:10 PM
(02-14-2015 05:53 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  a quick question about the FAT function order: Are they grouped by Book/Author (with Enter to step thru the Fns inside that book)? If this is more work, its fine as-is, as long as there is no Fn name collision among the books.

Yes, there are three sections in the ROM FAT as follows:

-WICKES SP
-WLODEK EY
-TIPS/RTNS

Program names are sorted alphabetically within each section, and there are no name conflicts within the ROM.
02-15-2015, 02:12 PM
(02-14-2015 06:01 PM)Gene Wrote:  Trying NOT to include programs that are terribly obsolete. We have a great GCD mcode routine in the Sandmath module. Why include yet another GCD routine written in FOCAL? :-)

Yeah, that one and many, many more like it...
02-15-2015, 10:37 PM
(02-14-2015 10:58 PM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  Here's a straw man of the details I'd like to see in a Master Index:
Module name
Program name
Short description
Book or Journal name
Journal issue number
Page

ok, here a sample of what I am doing ...

ROMS-HEADERS.CSV
Code:
ROM,ID,XROM,FAT,Page,Title,Author,Copyright
-PPC APPS,PP-C1,17,60,lower port,PPC ROM APPS,PPC,PPC
-PPC APP2,PP-C2,18,24,upper port,PPC ROM APPS,PPC,PPC
-WICKES SP,W&-W1,17,35,mod file order,Wickes & Wlodek,Wickes-Wlodek-Deering,2015 Ángel Martin

ROMS-FUNCTIONS.CSV
Code:
Name,XROM,XREF,Function,Type,Source,Page,Description
-PPC APPS,17,00,-PPC APPS,BIN,Angel Martin,,
-PPC APPS,17,01,ACMP,RPN,PPC ROM Manual,40,
-PPC APPS,17,02,ACP,RPN,PPC ROM Manual,99,Alpha Column Print formatting.
-PPC APPS,17,07,COMP,RPN,PPC ROM Manual,28,Composes random music by generating a program consisting of tone instructions selected at random from tones 0 through 127 using routine to generate the random numbers.
-PPC APPS,17,18,LBW,RPN,PPC ROM Manual,27,Load Bytes with Wand. Allows bytes to be loaded by scanning 2-byte paper keyboard (type 5) barcodes. Only the second byte of the barcode is loaded into program memory; but in order to avoid scanning errors the entire barcode is checked for checksum consistency.

Is this what's expected ?

Sylvain
02-15-2015, 11:53 PM
(02-15-2015 10:37 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  Is this what's expected ?

Sylvain

Yes, and more.

It makes my straw man look naive in comparison.

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
02-16-2015, 04:40 PM
(02-03-2015 04:12 AM)Gene Wrote:  HP 41 solution books already in the 41CL database
    The business sales / marketing / status book
    The control systems book
    the electrical engineering book
    The lend/lease savings solutions book
    the test statistics solutions book
    The mechanical engineering book
    the antennas book
    the optometry 1 book
    the physics book
    the geometry book
    the high level math book
    The games books - both
    Timer solutions book
    chemical engineering book
    fluid dymanics book
    HVAC book
    Solar Engineering
    HP Civil Engineering

Update: Realized that the
    Applied Statistics 1 and 2 books
    the Optometry 2 book, and
    the Home Construction book

were not in the 41CL yet. The .raw files were actually here on the museum, so I created a .zip of them and sent them to Angel. :-)
02-16-2015, 06:36 PM
(02-14-2015 10:58 PM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  When Gene talked about including the "Datafile Coconut grove columns" my first thought was, "How will I ever find the corresponding article in Jake's compilation?"

From the current index which extends up through Datafile Volume 15, "The Coconut Grove" only ran for nine issues across volumes 8 and 9. Looking in the "Sort by Title" under "The Coconut Grove" lists them consecutively. An attempt was made to list the"sub-headers" in those articles wherever possible, in addition to the "Editorial", "Chairman's Bytes" and other columns. Jackie Woldering's program/barcode files extend through the end of volume 8 currently, so roughly half of the Coconut Grove programs have reliable barcode at this point.

Jake
02-17-2015, 08:58 AM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2015 09:34 AM by Ángel Martin.)
(02-04-2015 04:50 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(02-02-2015 06:32 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  - Of all remaining ones perhaps the more interesting is "McCornack/Jarrett: HP-41 Advance Programming Tips". Would be nice to have RAW files for those or another .DAT virtual drive file.

Hello Angel,
I have sent you an email with a LIF file containing all the book programs that had barcodes for them.
Sylvain

Interestingly enough many McCornack programs as listed in the book use MCODE routines also provided in the book itself - however the focal files in the virtual drive are not the same. They appear to be the same as in the PPC ROM instead.

Did you just scan the barcodes in the appendix, or replaced them with PPC-based equivalent ones?

I think it'll be better to use the programs that call those MCODE routines, otherwise there'll be redundancy.
I can add the MCODE functions to the module, that's not a problem.
02-17-2015, 09:36 AM
(02-16-2015 04:40 PM)Gene Wrote:  Update: Realized that the
    Applied Statistics 1 and 2 books
    the Optometry 2 book, and
    the Home Construction book

were not in the 41CL yet. The .raw files were actually here on the museum, so I created a .zip of them and sent them to Angel. :-)

Both Optometry solution books are in the "OPTO" module, and I think the test statistics are in the "TEST" module - both onboard the CL ;-)
02-17-2015, 12:13 PM
(02-17-2015 08:58 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  Did you just scan the barcodes in the appendix, or replaced them with PPC-based equivalent ones?

Just scan the barcodes in the appendix.

(02-17-2015 08:58 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  I think it'll be better to use the programs that call those MCODE routines, otherwise there'll be redundancy.
I can add the MCODE functions to the module, that's not a problem.

I am currently scanning the book and will sent it to the museum and to TOS when ready.

Sylvain
02-17-2015, 12:39 PM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2015 01:37 PM by Ángel Martin.)
Third installment attached : an 8k-module with Gene's all-time favorite RAW Files, including Printer Fun, Big Daddy Math, and Bells & Whistles. I also threw in the 'Sea Battlle w/ Printer" game from the SwapDisks collection.

There are still about 450 bytes free, and we're taking requests ;-) (in RAW file format plz.)
02-19-2015, 01:39 PM
(02-17-2015 12:39 PM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  There are still about 450 bytes free, and we're taking requests ;-) (in RAW file format plz.)

not anymore: I updated module with a Biorhythms print program - it's filled up now, see attached.

Attached File(s)
.zip  RAW_FILES.zip (Size: 16.41 KB / Downloads: 13)
02-21-2015, 04:34 AM (This post was last modified: 02-21-2015 06:21 PM by Sylvain Cote.)
I finally have finished the first version of the "-PPC APPS" ROM master index file.

CSV file sample ...
Code:
Name,XROM,XREF,Type,Function,Linked,Group,Reference #1,Reference #2,Reference #3,Author(s),Description
-PPC APPS,17,00,BIN,-PPC APPS,-PPC APPS,APPS,Angel Martin,,,Angel Martin,ppc application programs
-PPC APPS,17,01,RPN,ACMP,AORD,APPS,PPC ROM MAN P040,PPC ROM AL,,Roger Hill,indirect mode alpha comparator
-PPC APPS,17,02,RPN,ACP,ACP,APPS,PPC ROM MAN P099,PPC ROM CP,,Ron Yankowski,alpha column print formatting
-PPC APPS,17,03,RPN,ACV,ACV,APPS,PPC ROM MAN P212,PPC ROM HS,,Cliff Carrie,vertical character accumulation
-PPC APPS,17,04,RPN,AORD,AORD,APPS,PPC ROM MAN P040,PPC ROM AL,,Roger Hill,indirect mode alphabetizer

Description of the file columns ...
Name : ROM name as displayed in catalog 2
XROM : ROM number
XREF : function number
Type : BIN (micro-code/binary), RPN (user-code/program)
Function : function name
Linked : main alpha label in a multi alpha labels program
Group : group name based on the catalog 2 groups
Reference #1 : first external reference
Reference #2 : second external reference
Reference #3 : third external reference
Author(s) : author(s) of the function/program
Description : summary description of the function/program

Master index files ...
ROM: -PPC APPS
Excel XLSX
CSV sorted by Name+XROM+XREF
Acrobat PDF sorted by Name+XROM+XREF
Acrobat PDF sorted by Group+Linked+Function

ROM: -PPC APP2
Excel XLSX
CSV sorted by Name+XROM+XREF
Acrobat PDF sorted by Name+XROM+XREF

Any comments and/or corrections are welcome.

Best regards,

Sylvain

edit 1: "-PPC APP2" ROM added
edit 2: minor files update

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)